Discussion: Sim Update 3 (1.14.5.0)

It’s very weird, zooming all the way in on the world map (to parking spot level) is extremely taxing, 700ms per frame in the main thread. Yet I managed to get it to recover by resetting the route in the world map. Planning a route without zooming in seems to keep it going. Just don’t enter any coordinates in the search box which makes it zoom to the deepest level :confused:

thats totally how a real plane works :joy:

You would have some VERY happy folks if you managed it. But from others who have tried all came to the same conclusion - the problem is due to issues at the kernel level that aren’t exposed to 3rd party modding.

At full zoom out I was seeing 10 fps with my main thread pegged. I was seeing a max of 5 fps when zoomed in.

1 Like

dang…i know some people that might be able to help me out, but im assuming accessing those kernals is not exactly the most legal thing

@SanMan140579979, I completely disagree. Most XBox players are going to be kids or youngish adults, many of whom will be spending mommy and daddy’s money on yet another game for them to play at flying from time to time for probably an hour or less. They’re (probably) not going to be looking for that kind of immersion because that’s not the experience they want.

They’re going to want to jump into an already running airplane (probably a large airliner), looking at the plane from the outside, and just firewall the throttle and go flying around for a little while. I very much doubt (again most, not all) will be seeking the kind of realism that many of us PC users crave, as they’re not really looking to simulate flying, they’re looking to play at it. And every year, a new batch of kids is going to be looking for a birthday or xmas present and decide they want this “game” (and they’ll use it like one), and it’s going to mean lots of users for MS and Asobo, and lots of revenue (and profits) to keep the dev team paid for a very long time into the future.

Which is actually good news for us hardcore simmers.

BTW, if it’s true immersion you seek, then get thee to Best Buy (or Amazon, or wherever) and get yourself a VR headset. I personally recommend the HP G2, as for now anyway, it’s the best one you can get and it’s superbly suited for use in simulators in general.

The only way you’ll get more immersion than that will be to go fly real airplanes, but this route is SOOOO much cheaper! This is the only way someone can get in and realistically fly an Airbus A320 without actually becoming an airline pilot. And hopefully at least some of the kids who start out with FS2020 on their XBox as “just another game” will get bitten by the bug and actually become real airline pilots in the future.

4 Likes

dude at full zoom i get like 3…its so annoying

Whhaaaat? They kill the trees draw distance fix mod?

https://www.flightsimulator.blog/2021/03/10/trees-draw-distance-fix/

xbox time’s a comin’, xbox time’s a comin’,
xbox time’s a comin’, I can hear her scratching with her hooves

2 Likes

My MAX was 5. It was jumping around a lot between 1 fps and 5 fps.

…what on earth are you talking about? You’ve obviously made some wild assumptions while you typed that.

Strange, I successfully updated yesterday. And today, he asks me to reload 1.5 GB …

this is an amazing approach at the situation, and i completely agree. More kids grab the sim, more kids become pilots. (i hope so anyway)

2 Likes

Well, Asobo has personel with different skill set. I assume at the moment there are a lot of “3D graphics artists” sitting around. And the flight dynamics engine people and weather experts haven’t seen the sun for months. Therefore the big boss found work for idle hands and we got these nice liveries.

4 Likes

the fsx liveries are nostalgia for simmers like myself who started out with fsx

My stuttering broke a record lately with this sim update III, it lasted one and a half minute at a jaw-dropping 5 fps in exact terms. Interestingly, I never ever had any CTDs with my crawling sim since day one and still none.

1 Like

thats unacceptable…any idea what could be causing it?

A forest seems to have sprung up overnight at LOWI Innsbruck. Trees all over the airport. now

Arrrgh!

almost like its been abandoned for years

I didn’t have the sim running long enough to CTD, but had it hang with “Not Reponding” in Task Manager. It did that for me while downloading the liveries in the content manager several times, and then again in the sim after loading a flight.

Walked away, gave it a few mins (since I was on the apron cold and dark). Came back to it still hanging 10 minutes later. Rebooted the PC went through all the stuff again. Cold and dark on the apron at 15 fps. Then I gave up.

1 Like

msfs moment right there