Discussion: World Update III: United Kingdom

I tried out several of my favourite aircraft around the UK, I’ve been impressed, there’s so much you can fill-in if you register with Flightsim.to. If you love farm runways, then I recommend a few of those packs too. Apart from the irritating lines that appear around windows and dash, I’m happy. Fingers crossed Orbx will update their London packs to make the capital and my birthplace even better.

You can try cashing it with manual cash! Medium should be enough to make it draw better in the far distance.

A lot of the areas I’ve flown over in the UK I’ve been to. If for no other reason having updated mesh and ground textures makes this update amazing. So much more detail to see now and the landscape is undulating and rolling everywhere.

The POI’s are great and the photogrammetry fantastic. Only London kills performance but the rest is very pleasing on the eye and performs well on my system. Flying from the avon river to Clifton is an amazing experience in this sim! This is an absolute belter of an update.

I think if you are from the UK you’ll appreciate the depth and breadth of this update more and if that’s something Asobo and Microsoft set out to achieve then I would say they absolutely smashed it! :+1:

3 Likes

The whole system data wise has for me has slowed since the last update. 97-100mbps consistent download speeds before and now I am lucky to hit 50 on a good day.
New York , Las Vegas etc used to look pretty good, now they are are just grey half built melting buildings, London is just a mess no matter how high i fly, and my PC specs are good.
I have suspected for a while now server capacity may be the root of many peoples issues, I hope i am wrong.

i wouldn’t… the entire sim ran far better before… now its all glitchy and rather crap.
its ok an a monitor… but who wants that ??
VR or nothing for me

…yes amazing indeed…have a look … Big craters at Lyneham UK! - Bugs & Issues / Scenery - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

…they smashed it for sure as it created some big holes in the ground! LOL

1 Like

I agree that some of the POIs aren‘t exactly top-notch quality, also some of the London buildings (e.g. Newfoundland and One Park Drive are too small). What I meant with „most comprehensive update so far“ was that they added more features than with previous updates, so more in a quantitative sense. I was rather disappointed with the US update, maybe that taught me not to expect too much.
I think at the end of the day it all comes down to expectations and perspective. These world updates are only small enhancements of the scenery. They will never replace proper city addons (except photogrammetry maybe, if well done).

As a VR user you are obviously a dedicated and enthusiastic simmer and I’m good with that. But please remember that VR needs much higher specs and resources - I’m sorry if MSFS doesn’t meet with your high standards but that’s life - it will get better, just have a little patience. Making derogatory remarks doesn’t help anyone.

A very high proportion of MSFS users, who probably don’t post but maybe watch the forum, DON’T use VR and are perfectly happy with using a monitor, getting excellent results. Okay London doesn’t look very good ATM and I agree that it’s probably down to bandwidth problems, but slagging off the rest of the UK isn’t on when it’s far and away superior to the previous World updates.

3 Likes

I like the UK/IRL update without Photogrammertry because this option is only used in surtain parts of the scenery and to much in London. London is garbage with and exceptable without this enhancement. Therefore Photogrammertry is off by me.

2 Likes

Irrelevant comment …
my POINT is my system has not changed… the sim worked Fine BEFORE the update, now it doesn’t … if you cant understand why i am annoyed… too bad :man_shrugging:

So EGCB (Barton) one of the updated airports has no lighting… had to abort my approach and go to EGCC which is only slightly better…

I kind of agree with your comment - “irrevelant comment” to a limited extent.

It appears like there might be a delta between the “before and after” experiences of
non-VR simmers and VR simmers.

I am NOT a VR user, and I can state that my before and after experience has been a massively positive experience, perhaps “smashing” even. :joy:

1 Like

I agree, it probably is, all i am saying is that an update should not cause a percentage of users to experience such problems…
i tried it on a monitor and it runs ok, but going back to “pancake mode” is a no go for me … to me, its just not the same.

As in real life, in our attempts to fix one problem we often introduce another, particularly with computer programs.

I know I am getting too philosophical, but also like in real life, though we all want it, achieving perfection is like trying to catch a greased pig. It’s nearly impossible, so we compromise and it becomes a subjective decision about what we can accept or not. The key word here being - “subjective”.

I am closely watching what is happening with you VR people, because I too eventually want to make that plunge. Perhaps ultimately the virtual world is where we’ll find perfection?
:wink:

VR is already “there” what are you waiting for ? its cheap enough and good enough now…ok im having an issue with the latest msfs update, but i play MANY high end VR games/ sims, including half like Alyx , iRacing Xplane etc etc…VR is leaps ahead of where it was even a year ago.
i have been using VR for years, it is no longer a niche thing…Get a quest 2 or a Rift S, they are under £300 .

1 Like

I’m am old coot. FSX and MSFS are all I play.
I’ll pass along your VR suggestions to my “gamer” daughter, though.
Thanks!

1 Like

I still use trackir 5, simply magical…

1 Like

#worlddowngrade III :frowning:

im 50, so no spring chicken :grin:

2 Likes

you are right… :ok_hand: i take it back… just flew over Tokyo… lots of photogrammetry and it looks WAAAAAAY better than London, the sim also performs way smoother too. so what on earth happened with London :man_shrugging:

5 Likes