Disk 1 having to keep in pc

Because the disks are literally useless without the single-use activation code that is bound to YOUR XBox account. There is already a copy protection using the license key.

This ridiculous DVD check is totally easy to circumvent by creating a small ISO file because Microsoft, Asobo and Aerosoft know that it doesn’t provide any additional protection. Nor that is needed at all.

There is NO difference of protection between buying an online key or the DVD version.

But since this will not change, use imgburn or similar application, make an ISO file from the smaller files on the DVD (or the full DVD if it’s easier) and make a batchfile that automatically mounts the ISO before starting the sim.

Oh and by the way: I bought the DVD version since it was cheaper due to a discount and also I hoped to get a nice manual. But the contained booklet isn’t worth the resources it’s printed on, in my opinion.
Also there was at the point of sales NO hint whatsoever that the DVD is required to play. That’s not to be expected in 2020, since basically ALL games allow you to simply put in the license key from the DVD box and download the game. In most cases I never took out the DVD at all.

1 Like

Yes, you can download at no extra cost, because you are already registered as a legal user.
I will try to go the ISO way and let you know, if I succeed.
Takes time, I guess, I am also part of the gray gold - just turned 69.

1 Like

No worries, you’ll be helped. That’s what a community is for.
Here’s a HowTo with detailed steps:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/tip-for-dvd-users-save-drive-space/199070

1 Like

What stops a person selling the disks is the fact that there is a code that can only be redeemed once via the MS store after the game is installed. The disks are of no use to anybody else without a valid code to activate the game.

I have lots of software on disk, it doesnt need to be used to run software once installed. This idea of keeping the disk in the machine is a gaming console idea, it has no place on a PC installation where game files are copied to local storage.

And to be perfectly frank, after the issues many had trying to download 90 plus GBytes of game from the store, the disk version seemed like a sensible move, 2020 or otherwise.

You hit the nail on the head there, you have to redeem the code and it took me all day 13hrs to download the 30gb of updates once I had loaded the the disks. So multiply 30gb x 3 goodness only knows how long it would have taken. Also cannot get Fibre have the pole outside my gate 30ft away but Openreach have the monopoly so can only go via them.

1 Like

Same here. I feel like I should go grab my shovel. :grin:

Hi I have searched on the forum for ‘‘Disk One ISO’’ and can find no trace has it been taken off?
Many thanks

You have to create the ISO yourself using software. Lookup ImgBurn and use that. It has an option to create an image file from files or folders which is what you need. After you have created the ISO you just right click it in Windows 10 and click MOUNT which is the top menu option and it will create a new drive for you which FS will see when you start the program.

Found a fix a last now do not need disk thanks your help anyway happy flying in these troubled times.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your help have now found the fix here
‘‘https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/xba_wowpc-xba_gowpc/fs-2020-problem-starting/164cd76d-007e-4ece-9bfb-4235b7266d98’’

I still say as the box set you have a key code and have to register it with M.S. no point in having to put in a disk, You can’t pass the software on or sell it as registered to you.

1 Like

Hello,
At the beginning I was annoyed with this need for insertion disk 1. I made an ISO file from the disk 1 on an external drive always connected to the PC and now I have only to click on MOUNT before starting a flight. It works fine but I’m sure a software solution would have been possible to avoid such manipulations (and lost of time about this stupid problem).
Best regards

You said it in one. It is so ridiculous to do that and if that disk for what ever reasons packs up you loose the software more importantly flying time. I was also surprised that they did not supply a manual as they have said all along they want to attract more flight simmers. Well you have lessons for a car or flying lessons for flight. Oh well such is the Microsoft world. It is a great flight sim anyway and enjoying my transition from P3DV5.
Stay safe. Hands. Face. Distance.

Yes, the “insert disk” is useless and rather annoying. I also bought the disk version due to very low internet speed and no fibre or high speed availability in my area. Thanks to the post outlined in Tip for DVD users - save drive space! I have made an ISO file and virtual drive as outlined in that post. Once installed no need to mount every time and strait to flightsim! Thanks very much to the person(s) who posted and/or highlighted this solution! :+1:t2:

1 Like

Yep its a truly useless and entirely unnecessary idea. Whoever dreamt it up and insisted upon it…

This is for lazy or advanced users.
Let the PC mount the drive and ISO file automatically, when it starts up.

Move the ISO file to the root of the C: drive. Example: C:\StartKeyMSFS.iso. (Not really needed, but it makes life easier due to shorter file paths and file names).

Start Notepad and copy these two lines:
PowerShell Mount-DiskImage -ImagePath “C:\StartKeyMSFS.iso”
exit

Save the file as a batch file in the Startup folder. Path is C:\Users>YOUR USER NAME<\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.
Filename is StartMSFS.bat or whatever you like. It must be a *.bat file, however.

Restart PC and check.

2 Likes

Yes I found an even better one not sure where now but they kindly put a file on the cloud and I just open that file and vola it works a dream. Complete waste of time though and feel a PC Pilot email coming on. They must think we all have superfast broadband, not the best way to start and they want to attract new flight simmers, think I would have given up by now if hadn’t been flight simming for the past 40 years. Thanks for reply by the way

I made a ISO and it works fine but 50% of the time the ISO is not mounted, when I click on it all is OK. Does everyone have to do this?

One quick word about disk copying: if you read the licence of any software it will say something like “no unauthorised copying”.

But copying a disk in order to save wear and tear on your master disk isn’t “unauthorised”; in fact it’s encouraged, even by Microsoft. They’d rather you did that than have to supply replacement disks on demand.

You will lose the mount whenever you reboot your pc, that may explain why you are having to remount your iso

2 Likes

Thanks for that,

1 Like