Distance to VOR

I still like flying from VOR to VOR, intercepting radials. In the B747 and Airbus, you enter the frequency on the MCDU screen and the distance to the VOR appears.
However, neither in the Cessna citation nor in the King Air does the VOR mark the distance and yet the frequency and the name of the VOR do appear.
Is it possible that the distance to the VOR only appears in some planes if you only put the flight plan into it?

Depends on the VOR and the aircraft equipment. It’s not flight plan related.

If it’s a VOR/DME the distance will be available, but the aircraft requires an additional DME receiver to be able to display the distance.

4 Likes

Edit: due my misread.

As PZL104 said, VOR’s on their own don’t inherently provide range information.

Entering the frequency should only show distance if the VOR is co-located with a DME and the aircraft is fitted with a DME receiver.

However most aircraft systems that utilise GNSS will be able to provide distance to a VOR calculated by GNSS if the VOR is entered as a waypoint in the ‘flight plan’ (of the FMS or GNSS equipment).

You mean that even in the absence of a DME the 747 shows the distance to the VOR?
If that’s the case, it’s a bug.

Not necessarily, since the distance shown can be from a different source.

I just plug the VOR frequency into the MCDU of the TBM, B737 CRJ / 700 and even the Bredok 737 and they automatically give me the VOR distance. But in the Crj4 Citation and in the King Air that does not happen, it detects the frequency with its name but not the distance.
All this without a flight plan, just flying from VOR to VOR.

Distance to a Vor can be obtained from two sources.

(1) A VOR with DME , provided the plane has the necessary RADIO equipment, and the plane is IN RANGE of the VOR/DME.
IF the above conditions are met, then the range is the DME range, which is a SLANT range.

(2) GPS Data.
IN this case the renage is calculted from the know GPS position of the plane, and the know co-ordinates of the VOR/DME.
It does not rely on a Nav radio in the plane, or the VOR to have a DME, or even to be working.
In this case , the range is the HORIZONTAL Range, or “Distance”, as opposed to the DME slant range.

In early days of FS, there was only DME range, and everything was based on the Nav Radio.
With the introduction of GPS, many of the Nav Data variable, got incorrectly used for the GPS, where they were not appropriate.

Example:
The GPS should show the DISTANCE, even if the Nav radio is unable to receive a signal.

The Nav radio integrated into a GPS, uses the GPS database to determine what the Database IDENT is for a given frequency VOR, (not by the data sent from the VOR that is only on the Nav Audio)
So the GPS should be able to display the ICAO IDENT, even if the VOR is out of range.

Currently, in MSFS, the GPS is simulating getting the Ident from the Nav Radio transmission, so when the VOR goes out of range, the GPS Ident disappears.

ie You cannot necessarily use the Old NAV VOR data variables for the GPS.
(even if was incorrect in FSX, that is no reason to continue to use the Incorrect data, 15 years later in the current MSFS)

1 Like