Do I really rank as top 1% of directx12 & 11 benchmarks with HAGS ON and two old 1080ti's?

makes little difference when you have one GPU I see from lots of posts and videos, I couldn’t find videos, tests or benchmarks with it on for more than one GPU, I set it up with MSFS and my two old 1080ti’s at stock.

These aren’t fake…

Going to see what FPS I get in MSFS, X-Plane. There’s not much I could find out about what looks like a Microsoft modern version of SLI, but it does seem that openvr, vulkan, can utilise multiple HAGS enabled GPUs like my old Pascals can now let windows dictate how they’re managed together.

Can’t help but wonder if the reason vendors and ‘influencers’ don’t talk about these things is just so we all buy the latest cards.

Can’t help but wonder if the reason vendors and ‘influencers’ don’t talk about these things is just so we all buy the latest cards.

Two 1080 Ti in SLI theoretically can compete with a RTX 3080 in raster performance but:

• unlike benchmarks, games do not always take full advantage of the 2 cards and require specific software profiles. The performance increase can be 99%, 40% or even minus something.
  • SLI prevents GSync to work
  • 2 cards require a powerful PSU with 4 supplementary PCI-E connectors and pull 500 W at full load (60-70% more than a 3080) generating a lot of heat, with the upper card struggling for fresh air
  • Pascal does not support new technologies such as ray tracing, DLSS that improve consistently the performance and visual quality
1 Like

very much appreciated and agree with every point. I’d love to sell the two 1080ti’s and get one 3080ti if and when it’s launched. for the performance, ray tracing and DLSS. But I will wait until there is a 3080ti and until it has more supply than demand.

Based on what I’ve seen on performance so far of the new WDDM, HAGS, with two 1080ti’s its working well on the latest NVIDIA driver, one card takes the load and the other is kicked in regularly as needed for smooth play on both MSFS and x-plane.

And when the day comes for a 3080ti I’ll be keeping one 1080ti as a sister GPU based on what I’m experiencing so far.

1 Like

Are you still assigning program affinity or just letting Windows take care of that now ?

I’d be very interested in seeing what your FPS are in FS2020, all settings on Ultra, 4K monitor, flying at 1500 ft. over London. When do you think you will be able to post your results?

I turned off cpu affinity in lasso and let windows manage everything now as i cant see any difference.
I tried restricting msfs cpu’s down to see if changed how much use was made of the second GPU but it didn’t force more second gpu use.

I could see in the system monitoring graph (GPUTWEAKII) that the second card was kicking in from time to time and much of it’s memory was in use at all times, but should be able to test fps over coming days when I get time but the feel of msfs an x-plane was very good.

Though its early, multiple GPU’s integration wih windows is underway virtualising gpu’s and starting fresh on monitors/display adapters, GPU’s being virtualised for guest OS’s a focus on Linux, end result is more parralel processing for graphics to offload cpu, a new memory model giving each GPU a per-process virtual address space, enabling multi-vendor gpu’s, and with AWS in bed with Nvidia on CloudXR there seems to be a new dawn of GPU virtualisation - a good thing for simmers.

a few days, most of my testing has been over london lhr / lcy
not sure how to test 4k as I have one of those 49’ samsung monitors but maybe try it on my lg tv

So what was the verdict? Yea or nay to 2 cards?
I’m a bout to tear down my 2 rigs and piece out the Intel one. Looks like I can get about $1200 for one of the 1080ti’s. I’ve given up finding a 3080 or 6900XT so I’ll just keep one (or both) of my GPU’s.

Have you guys finally tried ? I’m seeing 3090 ti getting near 50-60 fps with everything maxed out, and thinking of linking my two 3090 ? Has anyone succeeded in something similar ?

I tried two 3080ti’s, GPU RAM showed usage on both, horsepower though was just on one. A small gain e.g. 1+1 GPU’s = a net 1.1 GPU’s. So a waste of 1 good GPU horsepower at least for now.

I think HAGS ON, windows/nvidia will be ages before we see 1+1=1.8+ if ever, seems they’re aiming it more for virtual machines.

I went back to one 3080ti, added openxr toolkit, reduced my motherboard RAM to 16MB with highest frequency/lower timings, cant remember the options in MSFS but anything to do with legibility of text on any buildings or planes I increased and the experience got to the best I’d seen in VR, HAGS off. I enabled resizable bar, waiting for DLSS and DirectX12 to deliver for MSFS as I think what I have gear wise isn’t sweated by MSFS enough yet for fair price/performance.

SLI for games are death

I didn’t know MSFS makes use of SLI…or whatever tech name Nvidia renamed it to these days.

What’s this topic got to do with vr?

@tykey6
SLI should be the solution to all problems for VR. Nvidia has also implemented and advertised it in its kit. Unfortunately, almost no programmer has dealt with it and used it. Therefore, Nvidia put the project on hold again some time ago.

1 Like

MSFS never used SLI in the past,very few games did, and us idiots that bought new motherboards for it and multiple GPUs were let down, Companies never seemed to profit and gave up,

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.