Do you have CPU consumption peaks...?

Nope
i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 32GB @7200 DDR5

Correction

1 Press Windows key +R and type gpedit.msc
Press Enter

2 Navigate to the location below
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Microsoft Defender Antivirus > Scan

3 Double click
Specify the maximum percentage of CPU utilization during a scan

4 Select Enabled
5 Under Options type a value of 5 to 100
for example 25

Apply > Ok

Restart PC

To undo the changes you made - just set the mentioned policy to Not configured

2 Likes

wow
Thank you very much mate.
That’s magic in my eyes.
As you can see, I don’t do very well with the applications to highlight the process and I don’t get along very well with the translator either.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
I think I’m getting older hahahaha

2 Likes

I have a Local account.
Whenever I install clean Windows I skip the step of creating an account…

So this is for limiting the CPU usage for the scheduled scan task afaik.

So in a MSFS-sense I guess this would help avoid getting additional CPU load/stutters if you are playing while the scheduled scan task is running?

1 Like

I understood the goal to be limiting CPU usage during Real-time Protectio. IOW, allow Defender to scan files as they are being loaded into RAM, but limit the CPU Priority allowed for that process, which is msmpeng.exe.

I saw no way to do this, either with GP (no policy available) or Process Lasso (access denied when trying to set CPU priority for that process.)

File system scans are scheduled events. I schedule them to occur when I’m not flying, so there’s no need to limit the CPU usage.

As far as I can tell its just for scheduled(and custom) tasks. Scheduled task you can limit CPU usage and also priority to low.

I’m not OP :wink:

Yes, that was my intention.

1 Like

I know. OP was (or so I thought) describing how he used Group Policy to reduce CPU usage during real-time scanning.

You posted what looked like a clarification, except that it didn’t have anything to do with real-time scanning. Rather, it was a procedure to reduce CPU usage during scheduled file system scans.

That’s why I replied to you. Your post was not exactly on topic. Or maybe I was just confused about what the topic author’s intent was.

As I said (with all due respect) I see no point in worrying about CPU usage during a scheduled scan. If a scan is running while your flying, you haven’t scheduled your scans correctly.

Real-time scanning of file I/O is another matter. But that should probably be addressed with exclusions. I just thought OP’s idea was interesting.

Nope mate.

Read carefully, please :wink:

Forgive me if I’m wrong. But Windows Defender, apart from randomly performing security scans, I think it also performs security scans on the processes, so it looks at everything with a magnifying glass and that’s very good, but that hurts the stability of the CPU. My intention is that Windows Defender does not consume so much CPU when analyzing these processes. and limit that use so that it does not affect the CPU. Sorry if I’m wrong. I always think about contributing something good to the community and whether everything I contribute can help someone to enjoy the maximum experience.

You can exclude FlightSimulator.exe process

Also game folders

1 Like

Yes I already did it a long time ago. but since there are so many processes that some make those CPU spikes. It would be excluding more things. thanks for the information.

But that was my point, that what was suggested in the original post only limits the cpu usage during scheduled or custom scans, and not any kind os real time monitoring of “security scans of processes”.
The scheduled scans is a task that is run by the system at certain hours.

The “CPU throttling type” policy seems to be where you can adjust if the CPU throttling is for only scheduled scan or scheduled scan and custom scan. (But not real time protection).

The real time protection seems to have its own folder and options, as seen here:

But I cant find any options regarding CPU throttling of real time protection.

of course Im just going from what the description says.

the scheduled task in question would be this one I think:

the -Scan Trigger 55 would be the time of scan, but i think the value set is random afaik.

My findings as well.
And as I stated earlier, Defender’s real-time scanning process (msmpeng.exe) is locked. You can’t change its CPU Priority (I tried it in Process Lasso.)