Does Anyone Else Miss 2D Cockpits / Panels?!

I miss 2D cockpits a lot. I am clinging to my 70GB copy of X-Plane 10 because it has 2D cockpits. Even though I enjoy MSFS2020 a lot, I still haven’t been able to properly fly instrument approaches. I cringe at the thought of using two different simulators, with different commands, one for instrument practice, and the other for having fun and ultra-realistic outside visual experience.

Further, my machine (Mac Mini with low-end eGPU) is relatively low on the specs, so I have the resolution turned down to get at least 20FPS, and so the 3D cockpit is also a bit blurry.

But the main point is that I would like to just be able to conveniently change radio frequencies etc. and that’s just not nearly as easy with a 3D cockpit.

4 Likes

I also think if you want to fly a small GA plane, for example. Cessna etc. it’s okay under VFR conditions, it’s fun to look at the landscape and move your head in the cockpit to look out of the windows. It is advisable to have a 3D cockpit. But in a complex airliner with a large overhead panel and everything, it is stupid to always pan, zoom, etc. You can really look up on a large monitor, it’s best to use the touchscreen and switch. And sit on his own car seats in the “cockpit”!

Yes, that is very true.

I understand what you mean by losing your workflow.
I have a second screen and there is an option to put some features to external windows on the second screen, like Vfr map or Tower communication. I think that helps already.
Don’t know, if it is possible to do this with MFD as well

An entire 2D cockpit isn’t necessary for everyone but the popouts need to include the buttons associated with the panels so stuff like the A320 MCDU or Garmin can actually be programmed with the mouse while it’s still. Trying to push buttons while flying over the mountains with the MSFS rollercoaster turbulence model can be nearly nausea inducing. As for realism, a popout panel on my second monitor feels no less realistic while I’m sitting at a computer desk in my living area pretending to be an airline pilot.

3 Likes

Both points you make are very true.

1 Like

Click on it pressing alt-gr

Hello,

3D cockpits are not handy to change frequencies.
It would be useful to have in the toolbar an option to display a 2D panel that allow to

• control frequencies,
  • control autopilot,
  • navigation : OBS, ADF

Regards,
Youri

Use the instrument display under camera 1 -…

Absolutely agree, impossible to accurately click on items when using Head Tracking gear

3 Likes

I totally agree . Personally like to use either real instrumentation linked to the software or 2d panels … I think the 3d cockpit Is gimmicky and I do have a VR headset but I am not going to put that on my face for 2Hrs

The way you have it … Now, that to me is believable , pro, practical and immersive, great job that’s the way to do it ! This entire 3d cockpit only thing is so Gimmicky and game like. What a shame. I won’t move into 2020 just because of the lack of the 2D panels and full uncluttered screen, like we had before. I want a simulator not a game pretending to fool my mind that I am inside of a cockpit.

3 Likes

Well said! Even with single monitor setups, the old 2d panels worked like a charm. (The FS9 ability to toggle between 2d and 3d was the ultimate answer). Now we have “realism” taking precedence over functionality. Every time I have to grab a knob or switch in 3d I cringe. Throw in a bit of turbulence and it’s next to impossible. That is NOT realism!

5 Likes

Fsx had it all. We’ve gone not one but a few step back. I feel like getting ill trying to fetch the knobs. Zoom in zoom out hoover down the whole cockpit. Shouldn’t we be looking out of the windows?

2 Likes

Seems there should just be a “simple” option

Pull out with, or pull out without , associated Buttons.

• AltGr (Right Alt) and left click = Pop out just the screen

• Alt (Leftt Alt) and left click = Pop out the whole Instrument ( Screen + controls)

Then EVERYONE is happy …

I would mostly want the "Screen + CONTROLS

10 Likes

What airplane do you use?
It doesn’t seem to be working for me…

Hi all.
Did everyone vote for this post?

EXACTLY, its a WISH List function that does not exist yet

1 Like

Ah, ok, sorry…

Some posts were merged into this topic. If yours was one of them, you will need to recast your vote on this topic. Unfortunately, we can not merge votes. Thank you!