Does the search box in World Map know about VORs?

I’m setting the departure airport as X04, which shows as APOPKA, Orlando County. I know there’s a VOR called SSI Brunswick St Simons I on 109.8 but typing SSI into the search box just throws up a list of airports that have the letters ssi somewhere in it.

Why is search not drilling down onto this VOR? Am I doing something wrong? Is the navigation database complete or do we have a trimmed down version of the real-world navaids? Skyvector sees it, as does ForeFlight.

Flight planning features leave a lot to be desired in this version of FS 2020. Come to think of it, why do the Background Map options just show an indistinct, blurry mess. Is this as intended because having Satellite and Blend as drop-down menu options seem pointless.

It does. Scroll down the list, navaids matching the search are listed after the airports.
Also check if you have Navaids enabled in the display filter (bottom of the screen)

The only things showing in the search results when I type SSI are all airports with ssi in any part of the text. No VOR symbols with the name SSI and my filters box is set to show all airports, navaids and fix and rnav points.

EDIT:

Well this is weird. In Skyvector I noticed there was an airport near SSI VOR called Jekyll Island (09J). I typed that into World Map search box and it showed it on the map and, lo and behold, nearby is the SSI VOR. So why when I type SSI into the search box is this specific VOR not showing in results, instead all I see with those letters in the search box is nothing but airports in the results list.

Shouldn’t we also be able to search for NDB navaids on the map or are these not included?

Here’s a video of me trying to get this ■■■■■■ navaid to show up in search results :slight_smile:

Flight planning in this sim should not be this difficult. I just jumped into FSX and in the G1000 MFD, if I select Direct To, then type SSI using the keyboard, FSX navaid database clearly shows it labeled as BRUNSWICK and a VOR. If I do the same thing in the FS 2020 G1000 MFD Direct To, it shows unlabeled as one of those non-compulsory position report style triangles.

You are right about that particular VOR. In general it does list VORs (just finished a flight with a couple of them, manually added to the flightplan - LCH and BPT).

I suspect the search results limit (100) has something to do with that VOR not being listed.

I’d suggest reporting a defect in that regard. Moreover, direct match should have priority over partial match (which is not happening either). Making it impossible to find a direct match of SSI VOR because of hitting the 100 partial match result limit on the airports first.

2 Likes

You may be right about the search result limitations arbitrarily chopping off any further search into the VOR entries. That thing really needs to show a little more intelligence in it’s search algorithm. I dunno, maybe take a hint from how Bing Search does things? Or failing that, use Elasticsearch because right now it’s just plain dumb and smacks of a ‘minimum viable implementation’ by the devs that needs to be revisited and refined. There’s so much UI refinement needed in many areas of this sim :slight_smile:

EDIT:
Thought to maybe just try searching for BRUNSWICK. Got back 7 airports and one POI. The only accurate result is KSSI - McKinnon St Simons Island airport. No VOR entries