Dominant eye and mouse cursor position

I’ve seen it both in defaults and 3rd party, justflight and FlybyWire. Also in the floating menus irrespective of aircraft.

On a general note, it’s nice to see this post (at the time of writing, August 16th 2021) is on #11 on the VR wishlist.

It seems Asobo have not really started any bug-fixing for VR as almost all bugs and wishes are TBD (To be determined). I think they are going to concentrate on VR at some point but have not yet started down that road.

Good things come to those who wait I suppose. I also hope for hand tracking support for the Oculus. Although there will be some development efforts needed to construct a decent interaction system for small knobs. (ehmm…)

1 Like

I only fly the default aircraft, and with the new sticky controls, this isn’t an issue anymore.

Well it is for me and I wish they would get it fixed. I am tired of trying to close my right eye to hit a switch.

3 Likes

What about the VR HUD menu then? I still have to close my right eye to choose the right icon. Also not everyone likes the sticky controls, and this not solve the underlying problem.

I always fly in VR mode, but I don’t know what the HUD Menu is.

I personally believe that the sticky controls are an improvement. At least now if the mouse arrow moves relative to the cockpit motion, you stay locked on to the knob or switch.

Here is additional information which relates to this topic in my opinion:

Unity Best Practice topic

VR Best Practice - Unity Learn

Cameras

There are several best practices to keep in mind when working with cameras in VR.

• :white_check_mark: The camera’s orientation and position (for platforms supporting 6 degrees of freedom) should always respond to the user’s motion, no matter which of camera viewpoint is used.

• :x: Actions that affect camera movement without user interaction can lead to simulation sickness. Avoid using camera effects similar to “Walking Bob” commonly found in first-person shooter games, camera zoom effects, camera shake events, and cinematic cameras.
    :warning: [BUG/FEATURE] FS2020 is breaking the VR golden rule: don't move the camera, the user is

• :white_check_mark: Unity obtains the stereo projection matrices from the VR SDKs directly. Overriding the field of view manually is not allowed.

• :white_check_mark: Depth of field or motion blur post-process effects affect a user’s sight and often lead to simulation sickness.

• :x: Moving or rotating the horizon line or other large components of the environment can affect the user’s sense of stability and should be avoided.
    :warning: [BUG] FS2020 using 3D cockpit camera in VR - wrong horizontal plane rotation (ex: FBW A320, SALTY 747, ASOBO 787, SDK SAMPLE)

• :white_check_mark: Set the near clip plane of the first-person camera(s) to the minimal acceptable value for correct rendering of objects. Set your far clip plane to a value that optimizes frustum culling.

• :x: When using Canvas, favor World Space render mode over Screen Space render modes, as it very difficult for a user to focus on Screen Space UI.
    :warning: Dominant eye and mouse cursor position
    NB: with SU5 the mouse cursor is now following the 3D polygons and this is working good for cockpit interactions, however the “dominent eye” is still a problem with popup panels. There is not any better solution for this problem in my opinion but at least rendering the mouse in 3D space farther away when not hitting any polygon, instead of rendering the cursor up close, would help a lot.

1 Like

I’ve also noticed this issue when trying to use the FBW flypad - very annoying. Please let us choose the dominant eye the mouse is working from.

1 Like

I’m getting fed up with this crap… In the Aerosoft CRJ Cockpit for example, I constantly have to close my right eye to see where I’m pointing, the FMC for example is terrible with the already small clickspots, but this goes for most of the buttons. I cannot imagine who decided the left eye should be the one that decides the cursor position.

I have edited my original post to include a screen grab of the problem.

This is a terrible design choice.(*) The sim has, in this case, been designed for the 29% minority that is left eye dominant and not for the 69% right eye dominant:

Approximately 69.42% of the population are right-eye dominant and 29% left-eye dominant.

In normal binocular vision there is an effect of parallax, and therefore the dominant eye is the one that is primarily relied on for precise positional information. This may be extremely important in sports which require aim, such as archery, darts or shooting sports.

(*) As a general rule of thumb, always design for probability, not possibility. Is it possible the user is left eye dominant? Yes! Is it the most probable situation? No. - Then if no choice can be made for the user, the most probable scenario is the one we design for

2 Likes

That poor vision has probably made you left dominant, which is great :slight_smile: I mean it’s a great thing that the brain uses the best eye it has. As for me, it’s the other way around. So Imagine you have to close your good eye every time you need to click a precise position in the cockpit. It’s annoying for a person with full vision in both eyes, and extremely annoying for someone with a bad left eye. I really hope they make a selection for this.

Yes, it’s because of the parallax. However, this means that we have two possibilities of where the pointer “is” or rather what is behind the pointer on the screen, either the left eye or the right eye (see the pic in my original post) and for almost 70% of the users the brain assumes what is seen by the right eye is correct. But the sim assumes what is seen by the left eye is correct. - Which means for 70% of the users the mouse position is offset from what it seems to be and finding tight clickspots is challenging.

Again, I don’t know how x-plane does it but it has none of these issues. It just works.

The cursor must be just on top of the button not 2-3cm above it. If the cursor is at the same plane as the button, the there is no paralax.

Yep that’s true. Maybe that’s how Xplane does it.

I’ve just started to get this for no reason I can understand, reinstalled MSFS and the issue has gone away

1 Like

I did the same to fix the issue.

1 Like

Really? Wow! That’s so strange. What version are you on now? I’m on the 8 beta and I still get it.

I’m not on the beta, 1.22.2.0, I’m new to VR with a new pc so didn’t want to complicate things.

1 Like

Has anyone found a solution to this? It’s still present in sim update 9

This is an issue still…