Don’t buy RTX 3090

Same here. I have 3800x and 1060 6gb and my GPU goes around 80%. Everything in Ultra. No 4K though.
I was thinking to upgrade my GPU but I better wait for a bit longer.

What resolution?

If what they said in the Q&A last week is to be believed, the next update optimizes CPU usage and multi-threading even more. That should mean that the load on the main thread will be lightened, allowing more data to be fed to the GPU. I’m pretty pleased with the performance increases I saw in the last update. There’s always room for improvement though.

3 Likes

Yes, noticed the terrible cloud textures last night as the beautiful full moon was rising… please make the clouds back to how they were!

1 Like

2560x1440p

I think you’re on to something. Inside my cockpit the fps drops, when going to external view, its smooth as butter.

Maybe a MOD is the cause? I do have some planes modded.

Is it worth upgrading from a 2080S to a 3080 if I fly in 1080?

Why would run a 3080 on a 1080p ??

I purchased a new Alienware monitor few months ago which unfortunately is 1080 so I’m not planning to replace it for a while.

Right now I run render scale 100 so I assume one benefit upgrading to a 3080 is I can run a higher render scale?

Yes you can run higher but I don’t know if your monitor will help you

From my personal experience, cherish your current GPU and hold off until MSFS gets better optimization. The Nvidia 2080ti series won’t, I repeat, WON’T make a difference towards quality or frames until Asobo does something about it.
I am seeing almost the same amount of performance and FPS when I had my good old 1080ti !

L.A. is still unplayable with a rtx3090 and rtx1080ti at high settings.

2 Likes

Game runs perfectly for me on Ultra/Highest settings at 1440p. Everywhere I’ve been, including LA/NYC etc runs smoothly. Maybe you need to update other things.

Got a brand new PC a few months back, just waiting on a 3080 so everything is up to date.

EVGA 1080TI FTW
Intel i7-10700K
Gigabyte Z490 AORUS ELITE AC
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 120 2.5" SSD

2 Likes

Sorry, but this is just you not noticing anything. I’m an IT Tech for a living, been at it professionally for over 24 years or so. I built a new supercomputer for MSFS2020 and yeah I’ll agree things are quite tolerable. I am using a Core i9 10900 (non-k as I prefer lower thermals and it still boosts quite close to the K version), I’m running 32gb of DDR4 3200mhz memory, two Samsung Evo plus 970 ssd drives and an RTX 2070 (non-super) graphics card.

All that said yes it runs pretty dang great, but more populated cities really do start losing frames and getting choppy. Even if the distance view is smooth if you look towards the areas at the passing edges of the screen I’ll see choppiness.

It’s a real thing. Honeslty I think things will improve with DX12 and further updates to enhance CPU usage. I do want a 3080 but after seeing all this I think I’m gonna wait till after DX12 and the Big Navi benchmarks to actually make a purchase.

BTW, I am running a super ultra-wide monitor at 5120x1440

1 Like

Yea, sorry my bad. Forgot I was blind. Thanks for reminding me.

Also you’re running at a higher resolution which absolutely affects performance.

2 Likes

What tweaks did you make to be able to play a smooth simulator especially in LA?
I have a rtx 3090 and it’s unplayable in LA, not LAX, but flying around the city

Man, is everyone here so sensitive? :rofl: I didn’t call you blind, just saying you’re just satisfied when others are noticing actually stuttering and frame rate loss. I too am running full on Ultra settings. I am super surprised that my lowly 2070 is doing so dang good. But it could be better.

1 Like

I know you weren’t asking me but I’m gonna boot up and check out LA and report back. Haven’t flown there yet.

Flying around LA right now. Quite smooth outside of the slight little tiny bit of occasional bottom frame chop but very smooth otherwise. I think the problem you’re experiencing is still related to your memory underclocking. Fix that and I think you’ll fix your bottleneck there

What should I set my ram speed too?

The specs that they’re made for. You said 3600mhz yes? Set that, but more importantly set the 5 CAS latency timings to what the sticks are rated for. Trust me don’t be nervous, it’s pretty self explanatory if you look at the sticker on the sticks. Take a photo, go into your BIOS, and manually input the timings. It’s usually the first 5 at the top of the timing entry menu.