Don't have Airbus aircraft, but if I did, which A320 would you recommend?

I have been flying the 737 since PMDG put it out, and enjoying it immensely. With the AS330 coming out soon, I’m tempted. This may also mean getting a 320. But which one? FBW/Fenix? Any others?
Can anyone recommend one over another?

FWB is free so there is really not much analysis, you can start with that one, get used to Airbus systems and then you can decide to also buy the Fenix or not.

The biggest difference is that the FBW A320 is the Neo and Fenix is the CEO, so before anything it depends on which variant you want to fly.

The following part is my subjective opinion:

• The FBW has better textures, both externally and internally the plane looks better than the Fenix.
  • FBW has a “bridge” (simbridge) system that lets you open the MCDU in any brower, can be the same PC, another or even a tablet, this is very convenient, Fenix does not have this.
  • Both planes have very nice EFBs, I prefer the FWB system.
  • Fenix has better depth in systems modeled and failures, the plane has absolutely anything you need to train as a pilot.
  • I prefer the FBW flight model, it is my feeling that the Fenix plane is constantly battling against Asobo’s flight model and the plane does not feel as fly-by-wire as it should. Landings with the Fenix plane are more difficult as you have a narrow margin of error to flare, too much and the plane will float too little and it will smash on the runway. I don’t like how the Fenix plane handles in final.
  • VNAV in the FBW plane is experimental, Fenix has solid VNAV.
  • For its price the Fenix plane is a complete bargain, there is a DA40 GA plane that is about 1% as complex as an A320 that will be released for Xplane at a higher price.

Hope it helps, for $0 get the FBW plane, use it to learn the plane and if you find you want to dwell deeper into systems or train failure scenarios or if you want to fly the CEO then get the Fenix.

9 Likes

thank you…greatly appreciate the comprehensive answer. In the 737, the depth, textures, performance, systems, sounds and then its use with Spad are all positive experiences. I’d be looking for the same level of depth with a 320, so I guess from what you’re saying, the Fenix MAY be a better option, with some pros and cons. thanks again

Great points above, I fly the Fenix exclusively and can’t really argue.

The Fenix EFB can also be opened via a Browser on your tablet, etc which is nice. If you are an Air Manager user, the Fenix has a complete cockpit available (for free).

V2 of the Fenix is on it’s way, there are allot of “small issues” but Fenix chose to just overhaul the plane at once, rather than bleeding resources off to work on the smaller stuff so that will be down the road.

1 Like

I have both and use both with Spad you won’t be disappointed with the Fenix, again for its price it is a the best value per price you can get in any plane for any sim.

1 Like

good to know thanks. BTW do you fly the 737 at all?

yes, the level of support (subsq updates etc) is also important. Thanks

One thing to consider also is the throttle system. Before PMDG was released I flew FBW exclusively so I invested in the TM Airbus Captains Pack. I only hoped that I could also configure it for use with the PMDG. With help from FSUIPC7 I got it to work smoothly. No regrets.

Yeah…good point. I have the HC Alpha and Bravo, so would be using the Bravo on a 320 or 330 and a Joystick in lieu of the Alpha for Side stick compatibility. Does that sound OK?

You can use whatever you want, the sim Doesn’t care, it’s just a matter of preference, if you want to use the Alpha on a sidestick aircraft you can without issue.

I use the TCA sidestick when I’m flying the Fenix and then my Alpha for yolk aircraft, no issues having both plugged in, just ensure you don’t have duplicate bindings.

I create “blank” profiles on each and have it assigned to the one I’m not using.

Totally agree… Your second comment says it all. I ‘can’t’ use a yoke with An Airbus or SS with a Boeing…and also create a profile for each a/c type which enables perfect mapping to peripherals as you say.

Yes, both the 700 and 800!

1 Like

I don´t see a reason to choose either one or the other.

The pricing in the Fenix A320 is so good it is almost wrong, and the A32NX es freeware so, why not both?

That´s what I do. I simulate real world flights, so I check in FlightRadar24 if my current flight is being flown by a NEO or CEO, and based on that I choose the FBW or the Fenix. Turns out I get a fairly balanced use of both, and love both of them.

I don´t agree the FBW is graphycally superior (in my mind, it´s quite the opposite), but I love its “cleaner” or “newer” look anyway.

The FBW has something to it that just makes it really enjoyable. The cabin an crew sounds may not be the most important part of the simulation, but just provide an inmersive and warm feeling that I really love. Systems wise, it is still below the Fenix, but evolving every day, and good enough for me (every time I see the APU startup sequence changing current draw from the electrical systems, I´m blown away…).

The Fenix is technically and graphycally amazing. It´s more complex system wise than the FBW and than what I need or can manage. In that respect I prefer it to the FBW (reliable VNAV or RNP approaches). Its also a bit nervous on final, which I don´t know if it´s a bug, or realistic, but enjoy the challenge (maybe the FBW is too easy? I don´t know, I wish I could fly the actual bird to find out…).

The main problem for me with the Fenix (performance with a 5800X3D is fine), is that I find it a bit too “cold”. I know it´s not an important part of the simulation, but that empty and silent cabin makes the aircraft feel… well… empty and cold. The feeling with the FBW is just different.

So, in short… go for both. You won´t need a new mortgage.

As for the A330… I´m really looking forward to the Aerosoft A330, but with the last remarkable update of the Headwind A330-neo (which to me starts to be acceptable, massive improvement), and the AS product bound to soon-to-be-abandon-ware, maybe I´ll just wait and see.

Best regards.

2 Likes

thanks also. May well do as you say re the 320. As for the 330, that too may be a waiting game. I would go for the better systems and performance I think. Cost may not differ too much I guess.

While we disagree about the graphics I see we share similar views on these both aircraft.

Totally agree about the immersion factor from the FBW sounds.

Yes Fenix is too twitchy on final and from what I could gather the real plane is even easier to land than the FWB version, you just gently apply minimal stick corrections to the plane to keep the FD happy and the plane does everything else.
Going for both is the way to go.

Headwind is now going to handle both the A330Neo and the CEO (with PMP group) and they will focus in the whole A330 family almost exclusively. I think given time they will give Aerosoft a run for their money.

Both the FBW group and Headwind are doing a great service to the sim community, not only creating great aircraft to fly but also setting the standards quite high for the paywares.

If you want absolute 100% system accuracy simulated everything the most sophisticated visuals and the BEST A320ever made based on real pilot training ProSim software, there is only the one and only Fenix:

1 Like

How do you calculate the take-off performance data in the FBW as there is no calculator included like in the Fenix?

By double-clicking next to it´s appropriate spot on the FMC. Most correct values are auto-filled in the FMC when doing this :smiley: not very elegant and like cheating, but functional…

Cant seem to find the Fenix on AM. FBW is there, but dont see Fenix…:thinking:

The fbw is great and free, doesn’t look as good as the fenix or have as much systems depth but it’s more than enough for normal flying, in fact I’d actually just recommend you give it a try first (the experimental or development versions) as you will get the full airbus experience without spending a dime.

If you want to get into simulating failures or just want to delve into a deeper simulation then get the fenix, but honestly for normal flying there is very little difference.