Download Loop 2021 : MS2020 = Abandonware

It has been a year and the Downloader still reset’s TCP Connections and restarts the same file over and over.

The Downloader is broken. it never worked.
Topics are getting closed.
As this issue is not getting a fix, in Microsoft Terms, FS2020 seems to be abandonware.

I think what you meant to say is “The downloader is broken for me. It never worked for me.”
Other people have a different experience, I started playing with the Alpha and until now I had 0 issues downloading updates or content.
It doesn’t mean there are no problems at all, there will always be problems with certain HW configurations, network issues, and even server problems.

Could you please add more details about the exact problem you have and what steps have you tried to solve it? This information could be more helpful than just calling MSFS “abandonware” and leaving the room :wink:

4 Likes

“FS2020 seems to be abandonware”

I must resist…I must resist…the trolls will not get me

Hi tenchudnb, welcome to the forum.

To be honest, i’m not really that ‘up’ on Downloaders to give comment on them in a knowledgeable manner other than to say that I have fortunately never had any problems. Maybe i’ve been lucky :slightly_smiling_face:.

However I am reasonably confident that FS2020 is not abandonware, at least not as yet and I am not sure that statement is likely to get you a great deal of help or sympathy.

If you are unhappy with the Downloader maybe create a ‘Voting’ thread on it. That’s probably the best way forward to get other forum members on your side and possibly be a better way of getting Asobo to sort out your issue :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

I’m very sorry to hurt your feelings, but Microsoft abandoned lot’s of projects.
windows phone, dozens of dead ui frameworks, edge-engine

Lets give an example:
I read lot’s of people complaining about stuck download’s.
As i was seeing this behaivour on big files aswell, i did some math on their download-bar, File-Mbytes and the File% Value.
The File Mbytes are either calculated from File % or only updated on %change, which makes large files seem stuck.
They rather let helpdesk handle complaints not giving a correct answer on the issue, than acknowledge or fix it.
this feels like abandonware.

1 Like

what a useless error report…

3 Likes

Their helpdesk does everything to not acknowledge the download loop issue.

The sollutions provided by them to tackle the issue are either esoteric or for network experts, and they’re not working consistently.

you can make a working file downloader with crc check in WPF/.net with basic C# knowledge in 2 months. i did.
A small Team like Piranha game’s reworked their downloader after way way way less issues in about 3 month’s

im not here for an error report, im here to rant.

Issue. TCP Connections with the downloader get reset.
Sollutions. net limiting, esoteric powershell commands, turning off ip6… are all not working consistently

Stated multiple Times here and to helpdesk. since years.

My feelings aren’t hurt so please don’t worry about that. And I am not affiliated with MS/Asobo in any respect so absolutely there are no issues on that score either.

My real point tbh was that your statement was a little bit inflammatory and that maybe you could have approached it in perhaps a more constructive way.

I was just trying to kindly point you in a better direction and maybe a better way forward :slightly_smiling_face:

Speak to your ISP, it’s clearly a problem at your end or with your internet vendor.

Hi @tenchudnb,
First, welcome to the forums.

I’m sorry to hear you have problems downloading as there have been a few who have reported this. We like members to search the forum to see if an existing topic has already been posted. Creating a new topic, does not help in bringing forward issues as it splits those issues and votes.

A search in Bugs & Issues of the problem you posted about:
Search results for ‘slow download looping category:200’ - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

This topic is of interest as it has helped some with the slow download and looping:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/very-low-download-speeds-frequent-package-failed-messages/361490

When you would like to see something changed, added or removed from MSFS the correct way of doing this is through Zendesk under the “I want to share feedback or request a new feature”.

There is also a community wishlist for members to vote on similar requests: #self-service:wishlist Before posting, search to see if one exists. When duplicate topics are created, it may be removed.

From a search in the wishlist on “download loop”:
Search results for ‘download loop category:163’ - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

When we all joined the forum, we agreed to a set of standards known as the Code of Conduct. When posting, keep topics constructive. This isn’t a “rant” area. Posting these types of topics tend to make the topic go off-topic.

There are plenty of topics on the slow download and looping. Some that may have an answer for you. As noted in the above link, one of many causes can be your ISP; something to check.

Please keep in mind the Code of Conduct while participating on the forum.

1 Like