Dreadful performance

If you can squeeze the game on to your NVMe SSD even just to try it you could find out if thats the major bottleneck. I suspect the graphics card will be pretty limiting too. If you turn on Developer Mode in the game, you can turn on the performance statistics and start chasing down whether its CPU or GPU which is most constraining. 10% on your CPU is the average across all the cores, probably 1 (running Mainthread) is flat out.

I turned on developer mode but I don’t see where the “performance statistics” that you are referring to. Also I’d have to upgrade my nvme drive because it says it only has 1.2GB free and this sim is 150gb :confused:

So I did notice some drastic results when changing the settings in the options>general>graphics. I changed it to display mode (windowed) and full screen resolution to 1920x1080. And changed the frame rate limit on the advanced settings to 30fps. It is a much noticeable improvement. Now I am running the game on ultra preset for the global rendering quality and it is much better. Some people might say there is micro stuttering. But from what I was seeing before this is a huge difference. I might add I am using a 43” Vizio tv as a monitor. And the windowed screen is about 21” so maybe getting a 27” gaming monitor would do this game a lot better for me

To turn on FPS display in developer settings (Options → General → Developers → enable Developer mode → new menu bar appears → Options → Display FPS).
The horrible window that appears then shows you wish of the various different calculations and the GPU are taking up the time in each frame
If you search on this forum for the various words that appear like ‘limited by main thread’ you will find loads of advice on what those mean and how to tune your settings

OK, so experiment with your display settings. I wouldn’t expect you to be able to play in 4K with your setup, so 1920x1080 is sensible. Ultra is too high for your graphics card, I recommend searching the forum for the huge amount of advice on tuning so that you get to a playable compromise

That’s probably what you’re talking about…

What monitor are you using? That GPU is barely going to cut it and you should not be getting issues on the lowest settings.
The software is not well optimized atm and I’d imagine it will be worse on lower end hardware.

1 Like

On what type of drive do you have FS2020 installed. Might it be dedicated to just FS2020? What are your typical fps?

I have an 8700k with a 1080ti, 32gb ram (which the sim never fully-uses) and a SSD. I get decent performance until my settings go too high or I’m flying in a big addon airport or photogammetric area like London. Then I need to drop out of 4k and go to 1440. It’s a tradeoff I’m not thrilled about, but it is what it is.

My hope is that once I get a better GPU things will improve somewhat.

However, I have noticed some performance issues that I don’t think are related to the PC since the UK update. I suspect there’s some kind of glitch on the server side that’s causing random pauses and jitters. Not to be confused with stutters from scenery loading- that’s an issue too that’s gotten worse since the update as well imo.

2 Likes

I have a Ryzen 9 5900HS (Zephyrus G15 Laptop), which is one of the most powerful CPUs for Laptops on the market at the moment. MSFS still claims that the Game is Limited by it. The Task Manager and Amoury Crate show only 25-30 % CPU usage. Very strange

1 Like

Does the BIOS on that laptop allow you to disable SMT? I got a noticeable FPS bump turning it off on the desktop 5900x. Flight Simulator isn’t utilizing all the cores on that processor, which is probably part of the reason you’re only seeing 25-30% usage.

No, that’s not possible. When I do a test flight over London, one core does all the jobs while the others are having a picknick at Hyde Park lol.

7 Likes

For some reason FPS has plummeted to 12-16 and stuttering like crazy, mainly during the approach phase. I can take off/cruise all fine at 25-35 FPS, but as soon as I commence descent it slows right down. Its only started doing this today, not flying in any new addon scenery either. Flying in India at the moment, on a world tour in the King Air. It’s really weird, never had this issue before. Just the normal “poor” performance from this thing, but this is a joke :rage:
i9-10900X
RTX 3070
32GB Ram
1TB SSD
1440p

4 Likes

Something to note, I started using AI Control to manage the radio. Today I turned that off, and my FPS issue has gone away. Steady 30-ish FPS in all phases of flight, interesting.

I’m thinking you’ll revisit this thread tomorrow with something like: “Scratch that, it’s happening again.”

2 Likes

That’s the general vibe of this sim :rofl:

1 Like

I’m sorry to say I’m finally losing my patience with this sim. I have been very positive and supportive for the last 8 months but that is coming to an end. I have been around flight sims for 30 odd years so I’m well aware of the early growing pains but I’m losing my patience.

I was enjoying 60fps flight in almost all GA aircraft months ago and now many of those planes flying in the same areas have seen dramatic drops. I don’t even bother trying to fly tubes. My Steam play hours are twice that of my actual flight hours in game which shows I spend most of my time trying to get the sim to run properly instead of actually flying planes.

Now that DCS 2.7 update has dropped with those gorgeous clouds that I can fly through at 100+ FPS, why would I waste anymore time here? The wow of flying over my house is long gone.

I have a 2080ti, 9700k, 32g and an SSD. I know there are people now with higher end machines but most people have lower ones. I can’t imagine how they are enjoying this. I’m now considering changing my review on Steam from a positive to negative. Performance needs to be their top priority! I will no longer buy anything for this sim until performance improves dramatically and stays there for more then one patch. Instead due to the great work DCS have done with 2.7, I dropped 100 dollars on their products.

15 Likes

Hello SHRIMPWALL,

Completely agree with you!

You might be interested also in my thread:

3 Likes

I have noticed that many reasons people seem to have vastly different performance issues is due to where they fly. I spent a good part of yesterday morning again trying to fix my fps issues. I re-installed the latest Nvidia driver, turned on GPU scheduling which I was advised needs to be on after the latest Win10 update. I thought I had fixed the problem. I was flying over Iceland getting a whopping 80fps. I was ecstatic! I then switched over to Niagara Falls Ontario and I dropped all the way to 30fps. This is a mostly rural area. I tried the mountains in Alaska and was getting a smooth 60-70 fps and then switched to a very similar mountainous environment in Vietnam and was back down to 30fps. All of this was while flying a bush plane with no glass panels. VERY frustrating.

1 Like

I have the same problem