Dreadful performance

Majority are not experiencing it? yeah sure Crash to desktop without error message

Coming back to usage part.
My GPU usage is 70-80% around 60-70c
CPU usage is 30-40% 30-40c

I play games which pushes the usage to 100% but never had any crash or bluescreen. There is no such game where i have to do 1000 fixes and optimizations. There is something wrong in coding even 2080TI having CTD’s. ASOBO just dont care about us.

My point was not that all CTDs are caused by heat, but just that enough are the result of heat to warrant investigation along that path first.

The link you provided even contains posts that support this.

Also not all heat is directly reported by your PC, so CPU and GPU temps are not the only indication of a heat problem. Overheating memory and PSUs can cause similar problems.

For instance my original CPU heat sink was just millimetres from my memory. When the CPU cranked up under load it was adding significant heat to my memory. Just bad motherboard design. Relatively cheap water cooling removed that as a possible problem source.

Also my power supply intake had restricted air flow as the filter had started to become clogged. Being near the floor it encounters this problem long before any other component. A quick clean fixed this as a possible source of any problems.

I found my CTD was caused by a Win 10 performance tweak I had used. My own fault as I should have undone it when it didn’t give the desired result, but had forgotten. Problem solving is all about picking away at all the possible causes, until you fix the problem. I am sorry to hear that this hasn’t given the result you want so far. If it was just as simple as Asobo’s coding, then the over 1 million owners would all be screaming loudly, and they’re not.

I genuinely hope that any performance optimisations Asobo apply in the future will tip the balance enough in your favour for the simulator to function.

Hi Billngal,

Well in my case as above advised by me GPU usage 45/55% in cockpit and temps are 40/49c and gpu is pushed quite well is an RTX 2080s trio and my CPU is i9 9900k 5.3GHz oc all cores and EK rad push pull and block and I got all case vented by EKWB evo 120 fans 2200rpm and sweet case airflow as my case is fully glass and has vent on sides and all around to get fresh and hot air pushed out, my cpu usage in cockpit is around 30%40% not all cores and temps are 36-45c so I did never experienced any high temps in this SIM, more on exterior view GPU usage is around 78-98% and temps never ever seen above 61c steady, not to mention hangar view gpu load consistently 98/99% and temps are same 61~62

So what you talking about, as clearly SIM has bad optimisation! I do not experience any CDT or whatever you talking about with overheating I never had that since install of FS2020, One thing bugs me off is this bad optimisation with airliners and in general that not only my system that worth more than 3k not able to run steady FPS or obtain good performance, is all types of systems. We need solution and this must be done now as priority.

And remember my words if this is not sorted people will start to abandon the SIM just because FS team prefer other things first such as ATC and la la la… is more important ATC than optimisation and stability for their users that actually paying money for SIM not to mention users that spent extensive amount on system to be able to run this beautiful SIM, I’m not saying to get stability by nerfing textures and quality but yes revising the coding and programming the scripts and maybe finally getting in to DX12 ?? We awaited so long to get half baked cake that is like mhaa in terms of optimisation and performance.

Really

1 Like

I appreciate your frustration, but don’t take it out on people like me. You might just stop the one person who has the solution from posting.

I don’t claim to be anything special, I just report on what worked for me in the hope that others may benefit. All my fine tuning and problem solving with MSFS has come from the help of others who offered suggestions in the forum. Most didn’t work as you can see here, but that is no reflection on the people who made the suggestion.

2 Likes

Lol your last statement there stop using FS… well as I said my system is able to run it only prob I have With this sim is this bad optimisation performance when comes to cockpits of airliners. Now I’m just standing by all people that having problems and all kind and my thing I suggest to FS team look in to this as I do not want this SIM die like FSX that just to me is a big failure and I don’t want Asobo team step in same pile of s*** like other did in past and keep this beautiful SIM a live with all players in it! As at the moment this SIM has a bright future a head if things set in right priority such as optimisation performance review. Perhaps on the side of coding and as said perhaps adding DX12 ?? Leaving this to them to decide!

I’m curious to know if this fix helps with any of your performance issues, especially on CPU bottlenecking, as some of the glass cockpit issues are tied to excessive polling of data with large amounts of JS processing.

This fix helps to cap various instruments to a fixed update rate, no matter what screen refresh rate you operate, giving between 15-19 FPS extra as well as no degradation in instrument performance (the fix is targeted towards individual instruments for better overall performance):

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/highonsnow-js-fix-15-19-fps-improvement-on-airliners-targeting-specific-instruments/252551

I don’t know but I think we wouldn’t expect great miracles, like 15-20 fps improvements after patch, more likely around 4-5 fps. As I say, their main goal are propably 3xxx cards.

1 Like

Bro, this post made my day! There’s hope for potato PC owners like me😉 I thought the only hope for me to run FS2020 and not get mad at stutters will be to wait for the next gen Ryzen to be released, but maybe the Sept patch will improve this. Great news!

I looked through the messages in this thread and could not find this mentioned, so please forgive me if I missed something.

Like many users on Reddit I have found that my stuttering issue has to do with process priorities between active and background processes in Windows 10. E.g. if I open the start menu while in-game, sending the active MSFS window to the background, the horrible slide show is immediately replaced by generally acceptable performance at 30-40 FPS. The problem is you can’t run the game as a background process all the time. Some people have tried playing with the priority settings, etc., but it only helps so much. I hope that the developers fix this bug.

I have submitted a ZenDesk ticket of course.

Don’t fret :smiley: I am using an old i7-2600K and 1070 GPU with the latest Nvidia hot-fix driver 452.22 which has no published fixes for MSFS 2020 and my performance has rocketed for some reason. Possibly because I have refreshed a driver install. My cloud edges have improved significantly for some reason, especially close up. Probably because I have chosen to enable ‘enhance’ anti aliasing in the Nvidia Control Panel and Anti Aliasing Transparency X2. Could the later improve the appearance of cloud edges? I am no expert in these matters.

If it works for me then it will probably work for you too on your higher specification machines! I have also enabled Variable Refresh Rate in the Windows 10 graphics settings because my Freesync monitor does not support NV Gsync. Hang in there! Charles

Cloud edges1|690x371

Wow, 45fps in FHD with a 9 years old CPU?! That’s impressive! It seems FS2020 is more dependant on number of cores/threads than I thought. If your CPU is able to handle it and you get no “limited by main thread” message then it’s only because you’ve got 8 threads. Looks like you did the right investment in i7 years ago.

What settings are you using? High?

Regarding clouds they indeed look much better than my ultra clouds. As you said - the edges are unnatural, so looking forward to I stall this driver

1 Like

Hello ChaiManNova

You do not lack reason. It is and will be the best simulator, and it is normal that it requires a good computer to move it smoothly. I only ask, if possible, to optimize or improve those parts that do have low fps. It cannot be that inside the cockpit of the a320 for example, you have barely 30-40 fps with the computer I have, because for that then it is better not to have carried out a simulation of this quality, preferring to lose quality to gain performance.

The community has shown, that by investigating a little they have managed to upload 15-19 fps with some modifications in the a320 / 747/787 airplanes, this is the kind of thing I ask, if they can make the fps go up more by doing certain techniques, than do them, we will all win

Of course, even if they do not say it officially, it looks like the simulator came out earlier than expected, and therefore still requires many updates, improvements, fixes, etc., and it is good to take into account that without a fluid simulator with high equipment, the enjoyment can be frustrating. For me, such a simulator should be worth 500 or more euros.

I know that they will improve and raise the fps, we are only at the root, but read us and take us into account. The new nvidia 3000 do not know if they will go up much, I do not know if it is a matter of more computational power or better techniques in the simulator. But until now, during its development there was the maximum 2080 IT to be able to test, and I say that they will do a simulation according to current technology

Sorry about the wall of text but I felt it was pertinent to the problem.

I replaced a faulty AC outlet my PC was plugged into. I thought all my Sim problems were over, however, that was not the case.

Within 24 hours I realized I still had issues. I still had plenty of EXE crashes during the game loading process, particularly when it was time for the game to load the airport you take off from. It got to the point where I could not get past that screen.

After some investigation I discovered that my CPU temps were running hotter on this title than any other title I have. I have older hardware and this is a powerful new game so actually this is not too surprising.

So, as my next step, I decided to see if I could bring down my CPU temps, in hopes that it would improve game stability.

I went into Bios and discovered that their was indeed room for improvement with regard to CPU fan settings. The fan was set on a rather modest CPU fan curve that appears to have been insufficient for this game/Sim. Instead of trying the other fan curves available I decided to set the CPU fan manually instead. I cranked it up.

So, I went back into the game to check performance. I discovered that my CPU core temps ( all four ) came down from an average of 83 degrees Celsius to 72 degrees Celsius with the new fan setting.

I decided to put the game through it’s paces. I reloaded the game and let it get all the way to the point where I was able to lift off from the runway, then I exited the game and did the same thing again. I did this 10 times without an EXE crash. Then I flew around in the game for about 3 to 4 hours, also without an EXE crash. I also had no CTD crashes or crashes of any other sort. My CPU temps stayed at 72 degrees, on average, throughout the testing.

Video performance, in general, seemed somehow smoother after the fan adjustment. But it was subtle and I could be wrong about that.

During my testing I did have about 5 or 6 times where the video froze, But, the game did not crash and it began working again on it’s own.

This is MUCH better performance than I was getting before. I can actually play the game now.

As I mentioned before I have older hardware ( except for my GPU ). I have an I 7 3770K ( not Oc’d ), 8 gigs of Ram, a 1080Ti ( not Oc’d ), and a Samsung 860 SSD.

I used a software utility to monitor CPU core temps.

I hope things stay this way, If they don’t I will try and remember to come back and post here.

Good Luck to everyone :slight_smile:

Ted

Yes, my settings are high. Ultra for buildings, grasses, clouds, textures and trees. Low for shadows. 100 for rendering. If I fly very low between the buildings in the city of Vancouver I get some stuttering but nothing from around 1000’ even while trying to induce stutters by wing rocking and rolling. Airlines will give me stutters however, with GA I am good to go! If MS can solve the stuttering with airliners, I will be doing really well. Charles.

Yeah its pretty bad when your rig meets all the recommended specs and has an issue playing it. They need to fix this or people are going to lose interest pretty quickly. I have two outstanding issues and they still have not answered them. So far F- for customer service. Hope you are reading this MSFT

I am worried that when a fix is provided for higher specification machines like yours, a change may not be compatible with my lowly i7-2600K which is doing very well at the moment. Charles.

I don’t think it’s the driver that’s responsible, I may be wrong. I found an interesting post which shows that post-processing is enabled by ASOBO within a configuration file. The advise is to set to zero some of the post-processing effects. Here, I will give you the link …

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/pixelated-clouds/151829/33?u=theaviator3506

After following the advice from the link above, everything especially towards the horizon looks much smoother and less shimmery. It should be noted that I am using Nvidia Freestyle for post-processing and did not realise that post-processing had been forced by a configuration file set by ASOBO. I was probably getting a conflict between the two.

I believe the author from the above link made his post to show how cloud edges can be improved.

Charles.

Hey @TheAviator3506, have you tried the Highonsnow Glass Cockpit fix? I’m getting between 15-19FPS extra on the Airliners after reducing the CPU drain of those glass cockpit instruments, irrespective of what frame rate your monitor is running on (this has reportedly better performance in this fix compared to some existing frame rate tweaks out there).

Hi, and thank you for your reply. Yes, I have tried the frame rate fix for the glass instruments however, I prefer smooth updates to my instruments. For the time being, I am avoiding the airliners as the GA aircraft are fun to fly, (at least the ones I have tried). I do like private jets and wish Gulfstream would allow someone to model the very elegant G4! Keep safe. BRGDS. Charles

I am getting smooth updates with this fix and others appear to be getting much better performance with no visual impact on the instruments. I found the game unusable prior to that as it was taxing the CPU hard due to those instruments not being optimised.