Drzewiecki Design - A rant about FPS

Its the same at UUEE. Theres a saucer shaped building on the South(?) I think of the airport. The FPS absolutely tanks when facing that general direction. UUEE also from what I can see, starts to tank the longer you stay at the airport, its really odd.

I donā€™t know if itā€™s optimization or if there actually is more detail in the models and textures. I think youā€™d have to do a side by side comparison at the same range with other scenery packs, and actually look at the assets.

Iā€™m guessing it is a shortage of vram though. Flying through the Loop this morning, I was able to hold 60 fps with everything on Ultra and an LOD of 200. My video ram was going above 10 GB several times, and was consistently above 9 GB, while system memory stayed quite a bit lower.

It might be insightful to post a screenshot with your Developer Mode FPS counter turned on so we can see the memory stats. It might not be the full story, showing memory allocation instead of memory used, but could still provide some useful information.

Maybe Dreziewiecki needs to just clearly label some add-ons as being for machines with 12 GB video cards or greater. Or provide a ā€œlightā€ version of the scenery which Iā€™ve seen some developers do to accomodate machines with lesser hardware.

2 Likes

Ill post some screens in a bit after work pal, thank you

Chicago landmarks on the Xbox as well as the UUEE should be 100 percent removed from the marketplace as they both cause CTDs and you canā€™t use them at all . I really wish I can get my money back for something that does not work and has not worked . Instead the developer put a statement on his website page claiming to contact Asobo about this issue . Well thatā€™s nice and dandy after I just spent about 50
Plus dollars on the marketplace to only find out this has not been working for months now what gives? Like I said this should be removed from the marketplace and me or any other customer should not have to contact this or contact that person only to get no answers and nothing working let alone no refund . Iā€™m never ever buying another one of his products again and that is sad because I had the highest respect for this developer and while some things are out of his hands , He the developer who knows this is not working should be contacting Asobo not us ! I own every one of his products on pc and the issues there are not as bad as Xbox which I am very upset that this took me for about 60 bucks lost . Sorry but not sorry to rant about it . I donā€™t like to give away my hard earned cash for something that does not work !

5 Likes

Well said, its unacceptable.

1 Like

Yes it itā€™s not acceptable. The thing is this , DD knows that this does not work and he should have these products refunded and pulled from the marketplace entirely. Thatā€™s what really upsets me is the fact that he knows this and is still profiting from it . People on the Xbox donā€™t go to websites to make purchases they can only do it through the marketplace therefore those of us have zero clue about the issues and we canā€™t get a refund totally unacceptable and unprofessional especially on the developers end knowingly selling products that do not work to vulnerable customers

2 Likes

Ok so ive just been on to take some screens. Initially it seemed promising as I was using the freedom fox rather than the bird dog to fly, but then it reverted to type.

This is what im experiencing:

21fps here just flying past, not over. There does seem to be a weird fps anomaly directly behind the plane though and ill get to that later.

FPS jumping about between 18-22 fps here

Now it gets crooked, massive drop to 13 as i make a turn.

Drops even further in cockpit, at this moment its becoming treacle.

Even stranger it starts dropping further even though theres less building here!! Have DD got a massive 8k tset of textured houses in the middle of those or what?

Slight change, starting to move up.

Heres Midway. Straight off the bat its 16fps and I havent even moved yet. All i can see is a part of a building and a jetway and two statics.

Panning is difficult but FPS stays low. Really unusable.

No one can tell me that these assets are in anyway optimised. Why dont they work properly? Ive seen better graphics in other games that run at 60fps!

Even at 1080, the FPS is truly awful. Has he got some hidden texture files within the scenery?

Anyway, uninstalled.

DD has been one of the best since FSX imo.
Especially KDCA which even runs great in VR.
I have 11GB of VRAM and 32GB RAM though.

My earlier post, Iā€™ll just add this could include airport furniture, runway texture mods or whatever so get testing. Regarding install order Iā€™ll point out that XML data does not load alphabetically.

Yeah, it definitely looks like a video memory issue, seeing that itā€™s exceeded in the memory stats there, and it gets worse as you turn and more scenery loads. Thereā€™s a ton of geometry and high res textures down by Buckingham Fountain, Soldier Field and McCormick Place. The box skyscraper buildings are simple by comparison.

It might be the case that the LODs are not properly configured, but that would surprise me for an experienced scenery developer. It could also be the case that DD canā€™t control how much vram will be used in a scenery area thatā€™s shared by default photogrammetry and two large international airports, and the sim doesnā€™t have safe guards in place to handle this by dropping geometry or reverting to lower LODs. Not to mention the sim has been constantly changing since this landmark pack was released.

I wish NVidia wasnā€™t skimping on memory. It seems like a ploy to get people to buy higher end cards, or make their refreshes of the same cards seem more impressive when they finally do add memory. Even my Radeon from 2015 had 8 GB on it, and one of the reasons I went with the 3090 over the initial 3080 release was that I could see vram being an issue over time.

1 Like

Thanks for you r response skip. I guess thereā€™s not much I can do. Actually i removed those payware but itā€™s still struggling even on the default. Is it just the Chicago area?

I donā€™t own Chicago myself, but whatā€™s the size of the texture folder? Iā€™m curious

If video memory is the issue having only 8gb I will have to pass DD products. Disappointed as I really like their products. Flytampa products are superior and wow they run way better on my mediocre 2060super.
No issues when parked or taking off and landing @FSDT KORD but once I get near the city its bye bye fps.
@Ant1975uk The head developer @DD is running an rtx 3090 so imo the guy doesnā€™t even care about optimizing the scenery any further. What happens when you have a developer who is not on the same page with their customers. The majority of simmers likely donā€™t own a 3090.

DD would need to test multiple GPUs in order to make sure that older cards can deal with the scenery. I donā€™t know if they are having that option.

Iā€™m sure they will work fine with older cards however you may need to adjust some texture settings, a good way to do this is in NVCP set to override application settings and use global settings wherever you can. I have it all maxed and everything is looking great with not much hit to performance.

I have the DC add-ons too and can go shop for coffee in the terminal in KDCA on xbox Series X with no problems. Iā€™m actually flabbergasted it works with no loss of fps whatsoever.

2 Likes

And this is what I donā€™t understand.

How can you do that with that product on Xbox, but anything in Chicago on a high end PC drops below 10 FPS?

It boggles the mind. I wouldnā€™t even say Midway was one of the more complex Airports either.

1 Like

Unfortunately, it is an issue with anything flight sim related that has higher fidelity objects/textures, systems/animations and etc. Even with a beefy system.
Before DD, Chicago and Meigs field were a bit of a lag fest. Low FPS. With the DD? Yes, even worse.
However, so is KJFK with the SamScene mods for New York City.
I have since learned that my 2080ti can handle most the textures thrown at it but my i78086K at 5ghz will still have issues with the models and objects. Especially with the FPS-hungry CRJ.

I donā€™t care much about the fps anyway - at least for me for most of the time it is just a number rather than the experience.

But what I donā€™t like about the DD landmark packs is that they are basically just a convert from FSX wrapped in a shiny melted glass. I donā€™t think that PBR textures look anyhow realistic when a concrete buildings shine in the sun as if they were made of aluminum. Not only that but for some reasons they also replace default well done Asobo landmarks. Like in the case of Washington DC Lincoln Memorial and the Pentagon.

The landmarks look so blurry that for example in Moscow looking at the heliports up close you can barely distinguish the features of the building they are adjacent to - so blurry they are. And letā€™s just forget about the floating bridges and the cars driving under themā€¦

On the other hand they airport sceneries are ones of the best to have.