Dynamic LOD by altitude/flight level

Agreed and voted. A dynamic LOD setting would be fantastic to help avoid stutters on approach.

1 Like

Yes, please! That would be a game changer at least for weaker systems.

2 Likes

Very welcome if we could get this

I’ve often suggested this feature would be incredibly beneficial for the sim. I’m surprised this thread has gotten so few votes and had little attention because if Asobo could get it to work it would have a profound impact on the sim’s performance.

I presume Asobo have thought about it and I presume its a very technically difficult thing to implement? It seems like quite an obvious feature for a flight sim to have otherwise.

I’ve watched quite a few of the dev Q&A’s and I’ve never seen it discussed. I’d love to hear them talk about it.

3 Likes

Do you think a zendesk submission would have any value?

Any way of raising it at the next one?

Flying out of KLAX on an easterly heading with a DR400 and realtime traffic on. i9 9900k, RTX2080 Ti, all settings basically on Ultra, addon scenery KLAX

LOD terrain: 200, LOD buildings: 200 → 25 fps on ground, 40 fps at 800 ft AGL
LOD terrain: 100, LOD building: 100 → 37 fps on ground, 45 fps at 800 ft AGL

As I cannot see any LOD 200 while on the ground it does not affect anything. Therefore it would be 37 fps on ground. While gaining altitude and leaving heavy airport scenery I would expect 40 fps while reaching LOD 200. This would be fantastic not having to change LOD once airborne and never again below 30 on the ground… Please vote this up!

1 Like

I presume there’s a solid technical reason why they have never been able to bring a dynamic LOD to the sim. It otherwise seems such an obvious thing to have to help performance.

1 Like

That’s the problem. The terrain LOD is the buildings LOD multiplier, in combination with the buildings setting. The object LOD setting does not appear to affect buildings nor most other objects we are interested in.

Buildings are not terrain! But they are treated as such… (see my wishlist item above)

3 Likes

I think it would be useful if the two LOD settings (terrain and objects) could be dynamic.

When I’m a few thousand feet in the air my system can handle a high terrain level of detail and it’s nice to see far into the distance. As I get to lower altitudes my system can’t keep up and I need a lower setting, which is okay because as I get closer to the ground I can’t see too far into the distance anyways.

I think it would be useful to be able to set a maximum and minimum setting for Terrain Level of Detail and let the sim automatically change the LOD based on my altitude.

The Objects level of detail could maybe act the same way, but in reverse. I don’t think need to have a lot of detail of objects 8,000 feet below me, but it would be nice to see a lot of detail when I’m pulling up to the gate.

3 Likes

In VR I manually adjust graphics options such as Level Of Detail according to the kind of flying I am doing - for example, for low level flying I will reduce some settings so as not to overload the CPU and GPU.

Could this be automated though profiles/rules - for example, to automatically adjust LOD as the altitude changes?

1 Like

LOD or a number of other perf critical parameters could all be dynamically reduced to not go lower with fps than a user configureable minimum fps setting. one easy way to allow that would be to expose LOD (and other such variables) as Variables to plugins, make the engine reread them and reduce rendering fidelity as requested and let the actual mechanism how, when and why to reduce them to a plugin programmer (xplane had very useable and successful plugins doing exactly that, so the people who can do it are out there). Just open those parameters up and allow to change them between 2 frames being rendered.

This topic needs another bump. Given the performance impact tLOD has on main thread processing time, a variable/dynamic option would be a significant way to improve performance low down when you’re close to the airport and don’t need high levels of detail at a distance.

It was possible in P3D with FFTF…c’mon Asobo…

5 Likes

Seriously! +1

This would be a fantastic upgrade to the current settings architecture.

Several posts removed.
Please keep 3rd Party discussions out of wishlists.

Thank you and I happen to follow that one and have been using it since the holidays - it’s like a dream come true!! I am so grateful we have such a great community of modders!

I know I might be pushing it but, if we only had a mod that could eliminate the METAR weather and go back to how we had the live weather at release … :wink:

2 Likes

It’s a game-changer for me! But MS/Asobo regards this software as illegal and unsafe, so we’re not allowed to start a discussion here. We can only hope that it becomes a part of MSFS 2024.

1 Like

Hi all,

I’m quickly posting to remind you all to please keep any discussion of modifications that alter licensed data away from all Microsoft Flight Simulator official platforms. This includes the DynamicLOD mod. We appreciate all of your feedback in regards to this feature being a core element of MSFS titles!

:small_blue_diamond:Cheats

This includes:

• In-game exploits that affect the integrity of the game experience
  • Sharing ways to alter the sims code or files
  • Discussing mods that alter licensed data

If a member is found to have participated in such actions, they will:

• Receive a formal warning; or,
  • Be banned from the forums for a length of time based on the severity of the infraction up to and including, indefinitely

We encourage players to report cheating and exploiting to the Customer Support team when they see it.

Thanks,
The MSFS Team

I had no idea, sorry.