So this topic has been brought up multiple times and I’ve voted on all of those topics.
Unfortunately there seems to be zero response from the developers on this topic.
I’m on a relatively old PC
I’m flying in VR but should apply to the flat screen as well.
The problem is of course the performance in VR. Extremely bad stuttering at the airports and then smooths out when in the air. This applies for the most part to the photogrammetry regions, otherwise my computer can handle AI generated scenery without too much drama.
Terrain Level of Detail option is the single main component to the framerates.
There is a decent work-around, but its pure immersion killer and quite annoying.
Essentially here is my process for a small, slow GA aircraft. I don’t fly airliners so no idea how it would work there.
- Load into the airport.
- Open options, drop Terrain Level of Detail to 20%.
- Start-up, taxi, take-off. Smooth FPS. 20% does not affect immediate terrain around you, so no visual degradation at the airport itself.
- Get up in the air at around 1000-1500 feet above ground
- Pause, open options, bring Terrain Level of Detail back to 100% in Photogrammetry cities or 150% anywhere else. FPS judder for a few seconds as terrain loads, but then stabilizes for the rest of the flight.
- Resume flight.
- Get to the Arriving airport, within a few miles
- Pause, open options, drop Terrain Level of Detail to 20%
- Join the pattern, land, taxi, Smooth FPS throughout the entire experience. Terrain does drop in quality the further you look, but I usually drop to 20% as I’m already in the pattern and all my focus is on the airport. At 20% airport is close enough to me to not suffer much in quality.
So at the end, the experience in VR is pretty smooth, but is broken up by the options menu a couple of times.
Again, I’m not the first to bring this up and there are other posts out there, but I’m hoping to continue to highlight this issue and maybe someone can figure out some kind of a mod for this.