Electric Aircraft in MSFS

Great!

How did you simulate the electric motor, as currently there is no support for electric motors in MSFS?
Although it’s a small motor in this aircraft, a few of things that typically distinguish electric motors from “traditional” ones are fast starting, torque, and battery capacity/weight etc.

How did you solve these? (fast start isn’t an issue when stowed, but it’s possible to keep it deployed and switched off, so fast start could be an issue there).

I guess the upcoming Volocopter should add electric motor functionality, but we have no guarantee how accurate that will be (still better than hacking it, I guess!).
Also, the Reno race add on due in Nov should add the racing and timing functionality we need for events, though that remains to be seen how accessible to developers via the SDK it will be.

Very interesting site here:

Austin Meyer is contributing to this project. Would expect a tie-in with next release of X-plane. Looks really cool.

When the Volocopter is released it should have with it official support for electric propulsion.

Wow, great discussion here. I made a similar thread (same intention, presented a bit differently) this summer and was bashed : MS/Asobo could promote energy/climate transition in aviation

I also would love to see the electric DHC-2 Beaver in MSFS. This could be added too:

Cheers

2 Likes

We could also think of an electric competition for the coming air race update. This is coming IRL : https://airracee.com/

1 Like

I was spending some time earlier on the Pipistrel site and saw the amount of work have in simulators and then I was actually just thinking about the my disappointment that Slovenia wasn’t in the last world update then thought there is a nice mix could do with Slovenia, Croatia and Hungary for the World Update as Ljubljana, Budapest and Zagreb for starts all could do with some love. I have been to all 3 and the sim doesn’t do them justice and to bring back to why posting here, with the local legends given have a working relationship with Pipistrel, plus the fact I have seen more requests all over for it than a lot of other aircraft being made, the Alpha Electro would be a perfect choice. It’s one of if not the first in production Electric aircraft and Pipistrel is only one of a few aircraft makers in the region. I have got myself excited by this just typing it but know is a long shot

Sorry to ruin the subject for everyone but I actually think Electric aircraft should be outlawed because a part of flying and operating equipment is listening to the engine noise for sudden changes and the real life aircraft actually posses more of a security risk with how easy it is to hack into and don’t get me started on the sun releasing those solar flares causing chaos on electrical equipment

I mean the FAA wouldn’t of approved Electric aircraft if it was such a safety issue. You don’t need to hear the engine as there isn’t one. The benifit is that there’s not loads of components to go wrong like is the case with ICE. The hacking doesn’t even make sense given hackers like a challenge and in reality people haven’t hacked planes not due to technicalities but due to the sheer force of the law that would bring on you for such a thing.

However What does that have to do with them in MSFS?!

This isn’t a space to debate as I wouldn’t make it for that as rules clearly say don’t replicate topics, and the other general chat still is relevant to simulators or directly involving their wishes for them in the simulator or talking about the technical side of bringing them to the simulator however comments that will create arguments are not welcome. There’s other topics on here discussing the reality of Electric Aircraft if want to debate / express your hate for this growing sector, that is trying to solve the biggest issue in aviation, but if you don’t have anything about them relating to MSFS or simulators then I kindly request that you don’t comment here.

Happy Flying.

1 Like

Ok to be more fair to this category I just watched a video about solar powered aircraft using solar panels if that would fit in the electrical category those are actually really interesting aircraft

1 Like

Haha if you have an electric motor so nothing to listen for! They have only one moving part.

I know what you mean about listening to the engine though, I’ve done a few ferry flights across oceans in single engine piston aircraft, and fly jets across oceans (which turbines are much less of a concern - mainly due to less moving parts!), but electric aircraft this will not be an issue.

As a pilot, I applaud the arrival of this new tech, especially for light aircraft! It will be magnitudes safer than piston designs, and cheaper!

The especially interesting thing about these new powerplants, are what new designs they have allowed. eVTOL aircraft will definitely be a large part of our future - you’ll see them popping up everywhere over the next decade or two.

6 Likes

As I said above please keep in some way related to MSFS. At least other posts if went a bit off they still at it’s core was about the simulator and I let go for a little because they are from people who did engage on the sim side of the topic at the same time, EV’S aren’t perfect, but there are OTHER threads for real life discussions.
This is “ELECTRIC AIRCRAFT IN MSFS”

All your comments have been ignoring that and just here to bring up politics (which also is just so far from the truth.) off topic and that has the ability to derail an entire thread. Please can you follow the rules as really don’t want this thread needlessly shut because it this like have seen others.

I don’t believe you have a bad intention but ignoring the OP and doing what they have said is against forum rules and their space is rude, insulting as well as against the rules so please if comment again, be about how that effects it within the simulator or at least mention the simulator or be in direct reply to something about that rather than stand alone, non simulator comments that seem to me, as if want a debate.

1 Like

Agreed. I can’t wait for the future to arrive. Exciting times to be flying.

1 Like

I’m actually more curious about electric aircraft now because I was just reading up on the Heart ES19, because I was wondering how electric turboprops would actually work and be simulated in fs2020

2 Likes

A turboprop is a turbine that drives a prop. All you need to do is let a prop spin. Altitude (air pressure) will not have any influences anymore on any combustion, only the prop will in shape, number of blades and pitch.

So in the sim all that matters to make an electric airplane is to spin the prop. It‘s not much more than the airplanes we have already do. There is no engine simulation at all in default aircraft anyway

2 Likes

But my question is will it be like the drone effect on the electric blades so we wouldn’t need that much thrust to get it going because on an electric car the wheels get power directly through the wheels

1 Like

A car accelerates the wheels, it acts against the ground. Electric cars usually have their motors directly or almost directly attached to the wheels.

An airplane uses the air to move forward, a propeller works to a large part almost exactly like a wing. It creates lift which is pointed to the front. The other part is pushing air backwards which uses the rocket engine principle of actio=reactio. Except that the rocket pushes exhaust gases to the back, the propeller or jet fan pushes the surrounding air.

An electric airplane does absolutely nothing else, the only difference is that the prop isn‘t driven by a combustion or turbine engine but my a rotor spinning inside a stator. Changing electric polarization turns the rotor which is connected to the prop, either directly or via a transmittion.

If you took a Cessna 172 and replaced the fuel tanks with batteries and the Continental engine with an electric motor you would need the same RPM to move it or take off.

4 Likes

Closer than we think to electric aircraft?-
"Electric aviation is no flight of fancy: Leading airlines like United and EasyJet are onboard as early adopters, with the first U.S. commercial routes slated for 2026. "

Must be time for an electric regional airliner in the sim.

1 Like

Other than reading up on the heart es 19 I just read about this very interesting aircraft

The Pipistrel Velis Electro would be such a usefull addition to MSFS. The Velis is being used as a PPL-trainer more and more now, and most PPL students use MSFS. So third-party developers are assured of a great and expanding market.

I’ve recently passed the PPL-exam on the Velis (It seems that I was the first to do so! ) and would definately purchase a Velis model, as would pretty much all the students at my flightschool.

5 Likes

Of course the engine also vibrates and makes a lot of noise.
Also the power increase/decrease might be more linear and it’s save as hell compared to a combustion engine.
The Pipistrel Velis electro produces 60dba in the cockpit. You can have a normal conversation without headsets and without having to raise your voice.
A Cessna 172 produces around 86 dba on average. A regular headset reduces this by 13 dba
which is still 13 dba more than the Pipistrel without headset.
Average car on the highway 60mph = 70 dba
Keep in mind that the decibel scale is also exponential.
**every increase of 10 dB on the decibel scale is equal to a 10-fold increase in sound pressure level **

4 Likes