Elevation info and Distance Measuring info

I believe it would be useful to provide elevation info, especially on destination airport, especially if you are flying over mountains and have to descend rapidly. Also it would be useful to have Distance Measuring Equipment to show desending miles to destination airport…helps get you ready for speed, landing gear, flaps, etc.

I really enjoy the Bush trips and would be an advocate for more Bush Trips.

Thanks

If you have a GPS in aircraft you can set the WPT page, and the second page will show elevation and the distance to will appear on the map page (default)

Again if equipped and available, DME can be displayed on specific avionics.

A lot of fun flying those chop-and-drop type of approaches.

Hi: Your answer has been most helpful, thank you. I’m going to ask you another question whose answer is probably obvious to most people , but i’m still learning…how do you find and activate glide slope info?

Thanks again for your help and patience.

You need to find the ILS system frequency for the runway you will be landing on. Dial that into your NAV1. Once you capture the glide slope, follow it down to the runway environment keeping the horizontal needle centered.

It will vary by country, and aircraft instruments installed.

That is it in a nutshell.

The glideslope signal is transmitted by a separate transmitter on a separate frequency (UHF).
Thankfully for pilots this frequency is paired with the localiser frequency (VHF), so you just tune in the published ILS frequency and the glideslope is also automatically selected.

Thanks for this info…I’m learning and appreciate the help. When I set up a flight (not using one of the canned flights) after setting up the departure airport and destination airport I find that the ILS codes are already in the NAV box. I’ve looked up the ILS code on the internet and it’s pretty close to what’s showing. I find that I can make small adjustments to the # after the decimal, not the # before the decimal and haven’t found a way to change that if necessary. But when the ILS number is close to the published number I do not find an indicator on the altiminer when nearing the destination airport which would govern my glide slope. What am I missing. Thank you again for your help and patience.

Those numbers, both before the decimal point, and after it, are known as the frequency.
You must have the exact frequency for the ILS or beacon, very near just won’t do anything.
These frequencies can change over the years, so it is very important to have the very latest and current information before you use it in flight. All aviation charts will have a date of issue and a date when valid, they’re published in advance so a pilot always has access to the current chart with the correct frequencies and procedures.
Hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.