Entering VR: no menus, no mouse pointer and Sim will freeze when leaving VR, 1.18.14 and 1.18.15

Hi!

Since 1.18.14 (occasionally) and 1.18.15 (almost all the time), when entering VR there will be no more mouse pointer and keyboard ESC or arrows will not answer, either. I cannot enter any menu at all. Also the drop down, which I connected to a button on the warthog throttle, does not come down. When leaving VR (by an assigned button on the yoke) MSFS freezes. Task manager says “not responding”, and this will not change until I terminate process.

I tried both, locked mode and legay mode - no effect. I could manage to on the screen display make the mouse pointer visible and even drop down the menus. But as soon as I put on the goggles again, the mouse pointer will not move but disappear at first action. Thereafter same situation: I connot operate the cockpit except by the buttons I assigned.

And when leaving VR - Freeze …

As a matter of fact, for the time being I cannot use the sim. Very frustrating!

Anybody else having similar issues? Perhaps knowing of a workaround?

Regards,
Norbert

1. MSFS completely uninstalled and re-installed (deluxe edition). VR can be entered and left w/o sim stall.
  2. In the content manager added all purchased contents from MSFS store - VR becomes inoperative.
  3. All purchased contents removed - VR operative again
  4. With only purchased airports from the store installed VR can be entered and left without sim stalling.

So it seems to be one ore several of the purchased aircraft from the store causing the sim fail.

I‘d recommend a thorough integration test.

And after 3 days of detective work I‘m quite pi**ed, too.

I have a similar problem. When I press ESC in VR there‘s no cursor and no menu. Fortunately it‘s possible to leave VR without freezing or CTD. When I re-enter VR everything’s fine again. So not as bad as your problem but still annoying.

Hi Norbert… I too am getting real issues and I’m unsure if this is as a result of the recent update, but I suspect it must have something to do with the problems given how good VR was a month or so ago.

In VR I get a shimmering effect when looking just about anywhere. The picture looks like viewing through jelly (jello).

If I operate switches inside a cockpit in VR, regularly the sim freezes, I see the black surrounding screen, and I have to terminate…but not by clicking esc or even via taskmaster, I have to switch off my pc …. There’s no escape!

I have cured the washed out colours, but now have this which means I just cannot complete a flight. Using the autopilot necessitates using the mouse to click switches, but then it freezes!

I assume this will get fixed as it is a result of the recent update (I think), so I’m patient, but disappointed.

Btw I have a monster of a rig, set to deal with whatever I need, so I know it’s not my pc as it worked really well before the update.

Stay calm and patient… the sim is beautiful and still early days, I can wait as it evolves and improves.

Regards
Phil

Hi Phil,

I happened to have had this shimmering effect as well. Also the mouse issues schmissues etc.

What did I do? I re-installed MSFS from the scratch, of which I think it was perhaps not even necessary. After a lengthy test sequence I found out that the “Mesh Switzerland” was reponsible for my problems. I uninstalled this, and the VR worked. Other meshes didn’t cause me any probs, e.g. Iceland.

I must say that there are other add-ons I also haven’t installed yet. Such as the general airport improvement (forgot the name). Also some extensions like Antennas etc. for France, Germany and others. Basically stuff I don’t really need. These might cause problems, too. But I’m not really up for trying.

So the rule is this: Start with Community folder empty and Add-ons not installed. Confirm VR is working with one of the standard planes in a standard environment. Install the addons and community stuff one by one (or in groups, as I did) and check each time if VR is still working.

Tiresome job, but some has to do it :sweat_smile:

Regards,
Norbert

Thanks, Norbert…I’m going to try out your suggestion and will give my feedback.

I still love the sim and realise these are simply teething problems especially given its complexity.

Phil

I guess I’ll have to try this too. I only have 2 entries in my Community folder …an airport and a Checklist app, so I’ll clean those out and try again. My Event Log recorded today’s crash where FS crashed but the VR window remained open. It started off with kind of jerky lake and terrain textures and on takeoff from both a strip and a lake, FS2020 just blacked out and was no longer running.

Hi Pandora, please keep in mind, the add-on supposedly disturbing VR on my machine was not one in the community folder but came from market place. I had to kinda bootstrap in the content manager first, installing the world updates, then going on with all the other add-ons. Until I arrived with one add-on that apparently messed up my VR.

As a matter of fact, this is but black boxing and far from doing a proper integration test :sweat_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.