Erratic Rudder movements on Ground

I have the HOTAS Warthog but I just use the linear sensitivity with it. And game will adjust the movement to your joystick min max ranges. If yours does not reach the ranges consider a recalibration in its software or in windows device settings. Anyway the curves seen on the pic above are just for rudder + toe brakes.

Cheers

You are to experiencing twitchy and nervous pitch and roll behavior with this linear setup and you can apply tiny and precise pitch/roll attitude changes?

Donā€™t understand that one.

Warthog is very precise in centering position. Anyway I always use trim when required. When you get used to fine tunning you donĀ“t need so much corrections indeed. Just anticipate to aircraft inertia and you can fly manually and levered pretty well. ThatĀ“s practice indeed.

Cheers

Iā€™m comparing the real aircraft response and sensitivity with the MSFS aircraft.
The Warthog is similar in size and travel to the Gladiator and with a linear setting all aircraft would be way too twitchy (and the Extra most likely almost unflyable).
Of course you can get used to it, but itā€™s far from being realistic.

The horizontal bar in the screenshot I posted is your actual controller output (in Windows). The curves are what itĀ“s passed to game controls (to your plane). Both indications shall match in their min and max ranges. If your controller ranges (horizontal bar) do not reach the min or max ranges then you need to calibrate your joystick. This is what I meant.

Adapt controls sensitivity to your own taste. ThereĀ“s no magic setting valid for everyone at the end. ItĀ“s what makes you feel good with flying.

Cheers

I see. Thatā€™s not the problem. Itā€™s about the lack of precise aircraft control around the center of the stick with a linear sensitivity.

I understand what you are saying and I too have tweaked sensitivity curves in games with certain joysticks. (Iā€™m looking at you WarThunder and T16000)

Butā€¦

Iā€™ve been using Virpil kit now for a couple of years and have never felt the need to tweak anything in any game.

As mentioned above.
Of course one can get used to almost anything, but thatā€™s not necessarily realistic :wink:

@DoctorAcorn I am curious as to how sitting on the runway in a cross wind solved your problem?

Please confirm that this fixed your erratic rudder.

If this is how you fixed your problem and expect others to be able solve a similar problem, please explain what you did to ensure there is no confusion.

Otherwise please ā€˜uncheckā€™ the solution box and indicate which of the posts below not only solved the problem for you but will help others with the same problem solve theirs.

I get this as well and sometimes it is so bad I can barely take off because of being off the runway. I am on an xbox x and using a HOTAS one. To me, it seems like it it weather related and if I am using live weather or not, canā€™t fully confirm yet but I am still testing.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had the same exact issue for months, itā€™s not the weather and it does it with no inputs plugged in and with an empty community folder. Zendesk currently looking at it. Iā€™ll update when I find out more.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info!

1 Like

HOTAS ONE XBOX

CONTROLS OPTIONS
SENSITIVITY
JOYSTICK L-AXIS 2 (-15-20% Sensitivity) DEAD ZONE (20%)

JOYSTICK L -AXIS 4 (-20% Sensitivity) DEAD ZONE (30-50%)

The Tail Draggers are toughā€¦

Guys also be sure you are not facing a crosswind situation as in that case the aircraft nose will try to point to the incomming wind due to the weathervane effect. This can produce severe deviations from runway centerline on light aircrafts even while at ground during takeoff or landings and reproduce those erratic movements you are facing. If you are flying a tailwheeler then the effect is even worse as the center of mass is displaced behind your front wheels. And all those things are simulated in game indeed and they are not bugs on the controls. Go to Madeira and practice there as there you will have crosswinds very frequently.

To check wind conditions use ATIS to get the weather info or the airfield windsock if no ATIS is available. You can even use Plan-G / Little Navmap tools as they come with a moving map displaying an arrow to define the current wind direction and wind force. This helps a lot to understand what you are facing.

So you should not only compensate the rudder to stay on the centerline but also the ailerons to prevent that wings get extra lift caused by the crosswind comming to them by the sides. The lower the speed the more potential deviations so also you may want to reduce flaps or even donĀ“t use them at all to get the fastest speed as soon as possible and therefore the best efficiency of your controls.

Example: with wind from you right side you need to move stick to the right and pedals to the left to stay on the center line and release them gradually as you climb after takeoff. This prevents that aircraft rolls to the left do to side wind lift and yaws to the right due to the weathervane effect. Same principle is valid for landing but in that case you may need to increase those controls once on the ground instead to keep aircraft on the center line after landing. Remember that aircraft is still flying until speed is so low that no lift is possible, so donĀ“t get relaxed just cause your wheels are on the ground.

This article explains quite well the crosswind situation and the type of manouvers that can be used for landing. Normally the sideslip case is more effective with light aircrafts but you use any of them or even a combination of them depending on the situation:

Also remember one thing that is usually forgotten in many tutorials: you canĀ“t fly at whatever the crosswind situation. Each aircraft has a max limit of wind speed which can be supported by design. Above that limit you may lose control with strong crosswinds and operation is not recommended. This is normally defined in the operating manual. For cessna 172 this limit is something around 15knots for instance. If wind is above your limit you should wait for wind conditions to change or face a go around if required.

Cheers

1 Like

Thanks for the input geloxo - unfortunately this isnā€™t a crosswind situation. Itā€™s been ruled out in a few of the different posts with this same issue.

No way this is a crosswind issue. I have been dealing with this problem for months. Itā€™s ruined the game for me. Im on an Xbox one S and as soon as those wheels touch the ground my rudder gets pulled out of control either to the left or right making it impossible to keep it centered. Weirdly enough what did work for me for a few flights (i thought I fixed the issue) was turning off the auto take off setting in assistance. Wow it worked I thought. I was playing the game having amazing landings until one day I did a flight from Miami to Mexico City and bam the same thing happened all over again. My plane got tossed off the runway as soon as i landed. This is clearly a bug and the developers need to fix this as soon as possible. Iā€™m considering asking for a refund. If someone knows any further information on this please let me know. Thank you!

1 Like

It will depend on the plane, and the strength of the crosswind, but with correct rudder as well as aileron input you can maintain the centre line.

There are issues with ground handling, but for the most part they can be overcome, unless you are trying to land a small plane in weather you really shouldnā€™t be flying in in the first place.

Without seeing one of your landings showing this it is difficult to say for sure.

Are you really sure that wind is not the problem? I have made several straight into the wind approaches and takeoffs with several planes in game without having any issues.

Please try taking off with any of the problematic planes you found under a complete clear sky theme (not dynamic wheater) with no wind or just facing straigth into a very gentle wind and compare it in the same runway with for instance just a 20Āŗ angled crosswing at 10knots. You will notice how much corrections you need for such a moderate wind condition compared to the no wind case or the case you are facing just straight into the wind. You donĀ“t need to take off, just accelerate in the runway, stop and change wind setting during the tests.

I would also suggest that you disable all assistances (auto rudder, trim, etc) and fly completly manual.

Cheers

If the rudder moves on its own, crosswind canā€™t be the reason.
Looks definitely like some kind of active AI or assistance setting.