Error in WMR when Launching Sim

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

Nope

Brief description of the issue:

After launching MSFS 2020 the application fails to load even in safe mode and the WMR app shows the following error: xrResultFailure. I was once able to get the sim to get to the main screen in Safe Mode, but trying to switch over to VR game me an initialization of VR failed message.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Error in MSFS 2020

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

1. Have steam VR up and running.
  2. Launch OpenXR Tools app and note that the Open XR Runtime tab contains working manifest data.
  3. Launch MSFS and wait.

Expected Result: MSFS to load.

Actual Result: MSFS stops at about 80% of loading and the Open XR Runtime screen shows an error.

I have tried completely uninstalling MSFS and reinstalling with no 3rd party apps and still get the same issue.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Processor: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i9-12900K 5.10 GHz
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDIA 3090
Pimax 8kx

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Latest MSFS build

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I have similar error after updating the MSFS 2020 with the last version. It is happening when pressing CONTROL + TAB to switch to VR. I have PIMAX 8K Plus.

Have you tried disabling OpenXR Toolkit?

Yeah, I disabled it first and when that didn’t work I completely uninstalled it. Unfortunately that had no effect.

I was able to get into VR with and without your toolkit installed prior to the latest MSFS update, which makes me lean towards that being the issue. Then again, not everyone seems to be running into this issue.

Ha OK. I can’t be of any help then :frowning: good luck!

Alas, no. But I appreciate you reaching out to help!

1 Like

It looks like PiTools and thus SteamVR were running in Admin mode. MSFS didn’t take too kindly to that, which is why it was crashing. Once I ran PiTools and SteamVR in regular mode I’ve had no issues.

I’m hoping this will work for others as well.