Establishing the ILS on the PMDG 737

This is the same thing I am experiencing. It’s frustrating to say the least. VOR/LOC no problem, soon as I hit the APP button, nothing. The plane keeps flying straight. No glideslope. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong, but I’m not. Also, I’ve been testing at different airports, it’s all the same!

Since my original post, I have managed to accomplish several ILS arrivals at airports other than EDDM with flawless G/S capture. That led me to conclude that the problem was airport specific. I guess not. Will report here if I run into the problem again.

Still the same for me!

I have had ILS capture problems at several airports. Last was 22R at KJFK. Instead of capture the aircraft continues to turn left and does a 360 at 3000’ at CORVT. It will continue at the same altitude but with tighter circles and bank angles if you allow it. The ILS will not capture during a Manual landing. I have checked my settings and instillation and believe the problem is a bug.

1 Like

I believe the problem is caused by a conflict with AI Traffic.

1 Like

Interesting. How did you come up with this surmise?

I fly the 737 regularly and have difficulties establishing the ILS on some occasions especially if there is a lot of AI traffic. I also have trouble maintaining the ILS heading after capture if there is some variation in the normal approach. i.e. ATC gives me a similar heading, but not the same as the ILS prior to capture. All this is variable but the conflict with the AI traffic is the most consistent. The aircraft flies well but there is inconsistency in approaches. Not sure whose problem it is, the 737 or me? Over the years I have flown the PMDG 737 in FSX and the ZIBO 737 in X-Plane and I feel confident in my ability to manage the MSFS 2020 version.

I am having the same issues. Been flying 737s in XP for quite some time, quite a variety of them actually, and have no issues there. In this aircraft I’ve never had a successful ILS landing after a half a dozen tries. The LOC function works pretty well, but the G/S does not. Usually I wind up either way too high or too low, or too fast, and have to go around and land manually. Anyone who posted earlier in this thread figure out what’s going on?

That’s weird. I’ve never had a single issue with the ILS and have flown to probably 20 different airports. Do you have the ILS frequency set as active for both pilot’s and copilot’s systems?

Still the same for me. Unfortunately it’s not an issue for PMDG because not everyone is having this problem. I think the parameters are too tight for an ILS landing. If you miss whatever small window there is, forget it!

I haven’t really had a problem provided I follow a few steps: first make sure my MCP altitude is set at or slightly below the ILS capture altitude defined in the approach chart (e.g., if the fix is for 2700’ MSL, be sure my VNAV descent altitude target is 2,500’ - 2,700’). Second, be sure of my ILS frequency is set on both NAV radios before turning onto the final approach course. Third, having the final approach course set on both captain and FO sides. Fourth, once the white diamond appears for the Localizer as I’m turning onto the final course, set VOR/LOC on the MCP, then wait until it the FMA indicator text turns green to confirm the localizer has been captured, and the localizer diamond at the bottom of the PFD should turn magenta. Ideally, you will see the white diamond of the glideslope indicator slightly above the centerline on the right side of the PFD. This indicates you are approaching the G/S from below, which is ideal. Last, once the localize is confirmed captured and you see that G/S indicator, activate APP on the MCP. The FMA should quickly show G/S in green and the glideslope indicator diamond should turn magenta to confirm capture.

Profit.

2 Likes

Thanks for those suggestions. Most of these I’m doing already. In my experience with other 737s having the FO dialed in for ILS is not necessary unless you’re attempting an Autoland. Several other items are also not required so I’m wondering which sim versions are more accurate in terms of real world.

Anyway I’ll try these out . Thanks for responding!

A post was split to a new topic: How do I Create a New Topic?

Great detail and explanation , don’t suppose you could do a video as well. sorry to ask

Been Flying the PMDG 737 Since the beginning of Summer 2023 Until this very day Sunday December 3 2023. And its been The Only Issue the ILS Approach is Erratic 100% of the Time Will Work in San Juan Puerto Rico TJSJ. But US. Mainland Airports out of 100 ILS Approach attempts 2 might work, problems have been mentioned in Previous comments and other sites such as right on Final the plane stays in the altitude and wont follow the Path to the runway, arming Vor/loc and then the plane makes a sudden turn to either Left or right. yes i Have seen Many Tutorials about managing the Approach etc They really do Work With the person who did the video, im not aPilot, i have managed to Do all Very well all kinds of little to complex stuff with the PMDG 737 but the ILS Issues has become Bed Rock Impossible To Overcome… like i said It works for me in Some airports 100% of the time and Some Never Had.
But the past few days its become Less and less possible to make it work! You Should be Below the Glide Slope to Capture it i have tried almost to the level of Hitting the Tree line that Aint It …

Weird… I fly the 737 A LOT (sometimes 3-4 flights per day… benefits of working from home) and it is VERY reliable with the ILS. There are some airports that are bugged and the ILS won’t work for any aircraft - EDDP RWY 26L is one of them with the ILS completely absent, even though according to charts it should be available, same with LZTT iirc.

Anyway, for me the 737 is one of the most reliable aircraft in the game when it comes to catching the glide slope. Never had any issues, as long as I had not made any mistakes.

All you need to do is to set the correct ILS frequency and be at a correct altitude and course to catch the GS, no need to set the course on both sides for a simple cat. 1 ILS landing, you only need it on one (active a/p) side.

Edit:
Just landed at EDDM 08R and I had no issues with capturing the GS. Are you sure you had the correct ILS freq. tuned in?

Hey there,

Never had any problems capturing GS.
Maybe one thing you could try, if not already switch on the GS path on the ND. I don’t know the official name. Check my approach video at 18:20

It doesn’t solve the GS capture but you’ll have a good picture of where you’re sitting on the approach.

Hope it helps.

-Bram
SkyLane

1 Like

Just to supplement your tip - if you push the ‘CTR’ button on the FO’s side, it will turn on the VSD (Vertical Situation Display) only on the FO’s ND. Whenever I use it, I only have it on the FO’s side because I don’t like to congest my own ND :wink: I mainly use it with non-precision approaches though.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed explanation :+1::+1:

As an aside, I believe the VSD is not standard on all liveries and airframes. It may have to be enabled via the FMC aircraft options.

Personally, unless flying in mountainous terrain, I rarely use it.

1 Like