EU box version needs DVD check needed on startup? Please fix that!

Thats realy bad communicated if they announced that not everyone is watching their announcment streams…
Please Microsoft i bought the CD Version because im a fan of your FS and I jave the old ones already as CD so i though i do the same just for a nice shelf to create…well i have a USB CD Rom and i dont want to connect it always…pls your FS 2020 is such a great game up to date or even future in grafics BUT

STOP this DISC IS NEEDED stoneage stuff comom my CD code is linked to my X Box account you dont need the Disc for that.

1 Like

To be fair, people who buy the Box won’t resell it in 9/10 of the times…

1 Like

Sadly it didnt reach the people and its nowhere mensioned and its realy not 2020 and makes just collectors and fans realy angry.

1 Like

You cant resell it anyway if you have been using it except you will sell your full x box/ microsoft account.

1 Like

Yeah. Works well.
I made a ISO from DVD 1
and mounted permanently as drive. (Virtual Clone)

DVD 1 is now in the BOX

Also made from all 10 DVDs Isos for the next fast installation.

2 Likes

Btw, I found this additional workaround on the Forum:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/tip-for-dvd-users-save-disk-space/199070

Still have to try it, though.

Giulio

2 Likes

I assume MS Support either does not read it or does not care.
But still, let me leave that comment here - I’d love to buy that Premium Deluxe (or whatever is the fullest) version of MSFS in the DVD box.
However the fact that I need to put DVD 1 everytime I play it is deal breaker. And I do not feel like play around with ISO after spending 150 EUR on a videogame :wink:

&

1 Like

Exactly my opinion, i life fs and im in since fs 2 but as the product is start of the art, the copy-protection is not. The key and everything can be syncronised with the Microsoft account. this is in normal cases more then enough. please Microsoft, be so nice and remove this outdated copy-protection as there are already several workarounds in the net, it’s realy usless.

You can also use Windows File Explorer to mount the .iso. Right click the iso and select “open with file explorer” DVD1 not required.

I also didn’t buy the boxed version because of this and glad I didn’t because the installation was flawless and reasonably fast (20 hours on my end).

Let alone one of the DVDs gets a scratch or something. Can you even download the game when you bought the DVD version? It sounds like a solution to a nonexisting problem, except if your download speed is so low that you could only play offline mode.

1 Like

This is a very old misconception. The fraction of users who read forums and actually attempt to create an ISO is less than 10% of the users who buy the game.

Microsoft wants to protect the game from the other 90% who naively install it on several computers.
Like when dad buys it and of course the kids nag him, so he installs it on all their computers too, as well as his collegue, who also gives the DVDs to his kids so they can install it too if they just hurry up, and Microsoft has to let them all play at the same time because they cannot say which is the legit buyer and they don’t want to punish legit buyers.

So they make a protection that reduces 90% of this traffic and in the big picture it works out.

I understand that they want to limit this but hten they should handle it as a floating license, so that only one person is able to use the sim. So if one person is locked in another computer with the same ID is not able. Problem fixed. Many other companies solve this issue this way, and they use by far more expensive software.

1 Like

I opened a ticket via Zendesk and got the reply that I have to contact Aerosoft on that issue :man_facepalming:
It seems like they try to play ping pong here instead of realizing that the current state is ridiculous and that customers don’t care who is responsible, it’s just annoying…

Coppersens The question is, why do you write tickets to Zendesk if the game works, but you are not happy with a 1 time DVD check? The employees in support cannot remove it for you because it is an integral part of the company strategy.

What they mean is that you have to ask Aerosoft for a refund, otherwise it is what it is. The only other option is to write directly to the management.

It was just one ticket, not tickets.
I guess it’s my decision what I see as a flaw in a game worth reportable and I’m not the only one who did NOT expect to have the DVD permanently in the drive since it was nowhere mentioned at point of sales and is not expected in 2020 having a single-use activation code for licensing.

Aerosoft somewhere said that Microsoft insisted on this kind of “protection”, so basically they are responsible for whatever check is coded in the game launcher.

4 Likes

Yes ok, and I did not want to suppress you. But what are the people in support supposed to do if they had already discussed this internally and the answer from management was “that’s what it is”.

Also if you read the discussions then you know the issue had been known before the DVD released. Otherwise you could ask Aerosoft for a refund, if the matter is so unacceptable.

I don’t know what else to say to you, because like you I had also been interested in the DVD box but when I read the thread on Aerosofts forum my opinion quickly changed. In addition to that my old USB 2.0 drive would take a lot of time to install the game and also flipping DVDs 10 (?) times, there was a small chance I would have to resend the DVDs if eg DVD 8 fails, so I did not see this as superior to letting my computer download the game overnight.

Most people buying it don’t read forums.
And Microsoft still has to recognize that it’s annoying and useless. People fortunately found quick workarounds coming down to 2MB ISO size which just proves that the claim of this being some kind of “copy protection” is just a false claim and should definitely be reviewed by MS/Asobo.

I also contacted Aerosoft, not because I want a refund but that I’m very disappointed with the way their customers of physical copies are handicapped for no apparent reason.

And yes, I still think that customer feedback/complaints might change things to the better for all people, even those who accept facts and live with such workarounds.

3 Likes

Salut à Tous,

Ah ces DVD … Installation interminable 6 heures (dvd), et pourtant un PC qui envoie du débit, mais pas le DVD !!! que j’ai du aussi prendre en externe et quand tu arrives à la fin, tu n’as pas le SETUP de démarrage qui t’est délivré après vérification et enregistrement sur le microsoft store, et ensuite il m’a été imposé de télécharger FS 2020 que j’avais chargé sur mon disque dur via DVD , encore 90 Giga … puis la mise à jour … Je n’ai toujours pas compris tout ce cheminement
j’ai lu plus haut 20h, j’en suis pas loin.
Ce qui est certain, c’est que je vais laissé de coté mon coté nostalgie des boites et DVD pour l’avenir, et avec une bonne connection internet, le téléchargement ou chargement des paysages en jeu n’en sera que meilleur.

1 Like

Please write in english as it is required per community rules. Thank you.

Ah these DVDs… Interminable installation 6 hours (dvd), and yet a PC which sends flow, but not the DVD !!! that I also had to take externally and when you get to the end, you don’t have the startup SETUP that is delivered to you after checking and registering on the microsoft store, and then I was forced to download FS 2020 that I had loaded on my hard drive via DVD, still 90 Giga… then the update… I still did not understand all this progress
I read above 8 p.m., I’m not far from it.
What is certain is that I will put aside my nostalgia for boxes and DVDs for the future, and with a good internet connection, downloading or loading in-game landscapes will only be better.

2 Likes