Europe: Journey through the Alps - Community Fly-in Event

4j6bxq

I have arranged an open community Fly-in event, free to those who would like to fly along and available for all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore the Alps, and make new friends.

When: Sunday 25th October, [20:00 GMT] [15:00 CDT] [21:00 CET] for roughly 2 hours.

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice and/or text chat.

FLIGHT DETAILS

World-famous, beautiful, charming and exciting, the Alps offers unforgettable vistas for every visitor, so let’s take a trip!

We will start the flight at the northern shore of Switzerland’s scenic Lake Maggiore at Locarno Airport (LSZL) and fly south west heading over the lake into Italy.

At only 862 feet in length, our first hillside stop of Aviosuperficie di Meggiana (LIQD) is a bit of a baptism of fire. So, don’t worry if you crash when trying to land here, my first three attempts to land failed catastrophically.

After regrouping there, we will continue the flight north west quickly climbing over the peak of Parrotspitze and onto the site of the world-famous skier’s mecca of the Matterhorn. (Although not essential, you could improve the look of the Matterhorn by installing this great free add-on into your community folder). Once passed the Matterhorn we will continue north to our next stop and land at the large airport in the Swiss town of Sion (LSGS).

Departing, we will head south west along the Sion valley towards the site of the Alps’ highest mountain, Mont Blanc, where we will quickly climb along the path of its glacier into France and onto our next stop, the picturesque Megeve Airport (LFHM).

Continuing, we will head south following the valley past the town of Albertville onto the famously short and steep Courchevel Airport (LFLJ), this will be our fourth stop.

Once we have departed from Courchevel we will again head south following the valley paths to our next stop, the no go-around, short, narrow and remote Valloire Bonnenuit Airport (LFVO).

After regrouping there, we will continue the flight west towards the famous ski resort of L’Alpe D’Huez (LFHU). Regularly the location of the final stage of the Tour de France, its notoriously arduous road of 21 bends is clearly visible winding up the steep mountainside from the valley floor. This will be our sixth stop.

Once we have departed from L’Alpe D’Huez, we will continue west past the beautiful French city of Vif towards MSFS’ best kept secret, Mont Aguille (LF79). The real-world Mont Aguille does not have a landing strip on top of it, but it seems someone in MS saw fit to include one in the sim, and a lot of fun it is too!

For the final leg we will leave Mont Aguille and head south east over the large scenic town of Gap towards our destination airport: Tallard (LFNA).

PLANNING

For this flight we will be using the Daher TBM 930, but you can use any aircraft you like, just be sure that it can climb well up to 15000 feet. The flight plan follows the valley paths quite closely and most runways are quite short, so your aircraft will need to be relatively easily manoeuvrable.

Please load your aircraft 15 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the taxiway or parking.

Around 5 minutes prior to take off begin taxiing to the active runway. We will do a parallel start and after that start departing west into the Alps.

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use slew mode to re-join the pack.

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see/be seen by everyone.

Server: West Europe

Multiplayer: All Players

Weather & Time: Few Clouds – change the time of day to around midday.

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice and text channel is available on our own Journey Through The Alps Fly-in Discord server https://discord.gg/Ctc2QMn where everyone is welcome to join in.

I have a disability which prevents me from speaking fluently on the microphone, so if anyone with a microphone would like to lead the event on voice chat please make yourself known!

Also, if anyone would like to stream the event on YouTube or Twitch please feel free, be sure to share the link so we can all join in!

FLIGHT PLAN

A .PLN file is provided by the following link:

To use the flight plan, follow these steps:

Download the flight plan to an easy-to-remember location

Open MSFS

Go to the globe

Click “Load/Save” on the bottom of your screen

Click “Load”

Navigate to the downloaded flight plan

Click load.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

All of my flight plans are created using LittleNavMap and are available for free at World Tour Flights.

15 Likes

Looks great ill be there. im going to try it in the caravan.

The Caravan should be ok to use, it may be a little slow compared to the TBMs though. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Great! I was there for your Himalayas Fly-In. Will be sure to join this one.

1 Like

I’m going to have to remember in future to avoid staging events on the same day the clocks change, time zones are hard enough already :joy:

Looking forward to it again! A little closer to home this time :slight_smile:

1 Like

This looks so awesome I will try to join for as much of it as I can.

1 Like

Was also there for the Himalayas indeed, and would not miss this one! Count me in!

1 Like

Thanks. Will be there.

1 Like

Nice, I’m in !

1 Like

Going to try to make this

1 Like

Yes Sir! This looks fun! Looking forward to it!

RJ

1 Like

Subtitle: Crashing with friends (and/or random internet strangers :smiley: )

1 Like

Lets see who will be able to make it at LIQD.

1 Like

It’s a tricky one!.. But is it the trickiest? :joy:

Very nice plan congratulations! Which app did you use to make it please?.
I’ll be there in a few minutes…

1 Like

Thanks! I use LittleNavMap, highly recommended.

1 Like

Great plan, love it!!! Indeed, today I was trying to land on Mont Blanc :smiley:

1 Like

Don’t join that one for this event, we have our own. :+1:t2:

1 Like