Excessive Icing effect

How can i do that? I always have to click on it on the left side, but he starts moving again…

This mod removes icing effects from the windshield and other windows

And that sums up MSFS … unfortunatly …

2 Likes

Boooooooooo. Filler.

Yea I think this one needs to be bumped. Just to detail some of the recent “studies” I’ve notice, please note, I am doing this as a free service to other simmers. I have no interest in being a paying tester for anybody. I’ve been paying extra careful attention to the forecasts specifically for icing, as well as prudently (in my opinion) mitigating possibility for ice along my flight route. Now just for reference I’ve been flying the 787-10, it has a big surface area i realise. But it seems like the second i fly into ANY cloud, regardless of forecast…Boom! Ice builds up at a rate of approximately 100-300lbs per second. Being super cautious I’ve managed to get the ice buildup to a level my aircraft is still flyable, but performs very badly. Now on climb out last night from Moncton last night, it seemed like a go to me, it was only a thin layer of cloud at fairly own ceiling 3000 to 5000 I beleive now, I was in this thing for less than a minute, yet in that time I accumulated 12,700lbs of ice! This can’t be right. I continued to climb to avoid natures cold prickly pitchfork hastily and managed to climb decently due to not being too heavy. Now normally, I am imagining alot of this ice would at least sublimate into the dryer air would it not? I didn’t lose 1lb of ice until I was below an altitude that was over 0C. None of this seems legit and is not only contrary to a lot of things I’ve learned, but its making me question if I’ve been doing the correct ice mitigation techniques. In anything, I beleive its crucial, especially for younger real world pilots that they get a realistic feel for this, otherwise this as a training tool for icing is truncated. This to me, is the crucial apex to me if this program is going to be a “simulator” or a “game”…I mean ice is good for drama but not so much for simulation. This “sim” wants to kill me in more ways real life does! Lol please asobo/Microsoft not only fix the icing, but fix the simulation aspects! Otherwise it should be called Microsoft flight game in my opinion. I know I purchased it as a simulator and I would expect it simulates. Sorry for my rant but the months move on and on and it feels like we are taking “baby steps” towards things that should have been encountered immediately. We are seeing a lot of effort put into features that are garnish and are left with a plate lacking some of the meat and potatoes us simmers have become accustomed to. And we DO need to make the noise about this, to those of us who have been simming for a long time, this is a DOWNGRADE when relating and comparing features of the various platforms. And the NEW simmers to whom this product is marketed imho…they just don’t know the difference yet, alot of them are accustomed to games being incomplete in feature before release. That doesn’t work so good for a simulator whoms function leans heavily on these other simulation aspects. It sure does look pretty though!

2 Likes

Nice icing effects on the gear doors btw, very realistic :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

Ive been searching through files, looking for anything related ice build up. a scalar or condition requirements or something. I haven’t been able to find anything at all, even searching through the entire MSFS directory with notepad++ “find in files” feature.

1 Like

+1
agreed that while I absolutely LOVE that icing is represented in the sim, it does seem to be a bit much

1 Like

Even with al the anti-icing things on it will stay frozen. Flew from Eindhoven to Istanbul today, but the ride from Vienna till 200ft before the runway was horrible.
Also the atc (which is off i know) would never let someone fly through this type of weather

How is this issue not in the Feedback snapshot section in MSFS’ dev updates? It’s so frustrating to have planes covered in ice like this and the fact that Asobo isn’t even acknowledging this is even worse.

4 Likes

I too think the fact that icing is modelled in FS2020 is great, but its implementation is way exaggerated. The sim logic seems to be that as long as OAT < 0C then icing is present regardless of visible moisture, and if uncorrected the pitot/static system will freeze over in about a minute or two. Yes, icing like this exists in real life but it must take effect within visible moisture and, no, the ice doesn’t frost over the plane like Yeti in 2 minutes. FS2020 has some huge potential to be considered a serious simulator but it is frankly frustrating to see basic principles like this miss the mark at its current state.

10 Likes

This is complete nonsense… In Tallinn, no atmospheric icing conditions outside of clouds (visibility > 1600 m, no precipitation), temperature -4C: no possibility to fly anything without ice protection…

In the background an aircraft coming in for a VOR approach while there is a ILS available, Asobo what is this nonsense. There is nothing realistic or immersive about the entire simulator apart from the visuals.

Please, an option to get rid of the entire icing effect, both performance wise and visually. The icing effect adds absolutely zero to the realism.

10 Likes

Did anyone say nonsense?

2 Likes

This makes the sim virtually unusable for me when flying small GA aircraft in real weather. As soon as I climb to about 3000 feet, a thick layer of ice develops and the aircraft starts to stall. Is it this bad for everyone, or am I missing something? I have pitot heat on

4 Likes

no, it’s universal, can’t fly in any clouds at 0 C or below. Hoping they fix it or have a way to turn icing off until they do, and setting it to visual only doesn’t work, it’s just as bad.

3 Likes

Talking about the Cessna 152, in the real life if you are flying and you pass the freezing level you see how the mixed ice is building up in your windshield, but as soon as you descent to a safe altitude the ice takes around 10 minutes to disappear but in the FS2020 never disappear or takes too much time, is not like that in real life, please ASOBO fix this unreal situations

3 Likes

Hi there. Just stopping by to let you know that I’m making sure this gets in front of test.

9 Likes

That would be great, just a toggle to turn it off until they can actually fix it would be amazing.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’m not quite sure I understand. What do you mean by “in front of test”?

Hey everyone, I found a turn around to the visual icing problem.
Please tell me if it works for you, tho it does work for me so … we need to understand what makes this works exactly!

Step 1 , set a hot key for WINDSHIELD de-icing (somehow you absolutely need to use the command, therre is no switch that does this ingame.)

step 2 , while in game icing use de-ice hotkey
(there might be visual ice anyway)

step 3 , use dev mode to scroll back down the visual icing.

The slider should still record back up some icing but dont mind it, the visual icing should stay turned off ! if it does not work , I suggest doing the steps 2 and 3 again, once every 10 times it does not work , go figure.