[BUG LOGGED] Excessive LOD pop-in after SU5

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Totally agree

Wow that really shows how much the draw distance has been shortened.

the pop in is exactly what i got as well on an above average gaming system. Before the update i could do 1440p pretty much always above 40 FPS no issues whatsoever with pop in and draw distance.

1 Like

I have been trying to find where to change the LOD in the cfg file. Cant find it. Anyone know?

Doesn’t work, even the furthest you push it out, its still nowhere near as good as a day before SU5

3 Likes

AHH ok thanks very much. :slight_smile:

The main problem is the LOD Distance does not affect the pop-in Culling. As Ank notes in his post above it might make the pop-ins faster the less LOD you have dialled in but the two are largely independent graphics engine processes.
You can have your LOD all the way out 9000 and you’ll still witness pop-ins at close range.
Frustrating as hell but there we are.
Here’s hoping the HOTFIX might catch this issue as well.

7 Likes

i can confirm the culling is not related to LOD distance. sigh…i just want to go back to pre SU5 version

3 Likes

sliders ranging from 0 to 200

terrain detail level

and

object detail level

theoretically these would be the preset3s options in MSFS to increase the rendering distance of terrain and objects.

i tried to increase the value through the cfg but apparently it had no effect.

I‘ve built a system just to run this SIM around an Rtx 3080 and a high end gaming CPU :worried:

I’d have been better off buying an Xbox with the current state of the simulation.

9 Likes

If you havent already, don’t forget to vote here… who knows what good itll do…

3 Likes

Well, let’s see exactly what the HOTFIX addresses. Pointless speculating until we have it.
Nothing lost in being optimistic, yeah?

Come on, this a revolutionary Sim - put together by passion, best in show coders and with a definite view to the long term - did I mention the budget?

What’s not to like? If it takes a little time to shake itself down in to shape then so be it.

I fly with Track IR. The popping destroys the realism whole heartedly. It’s brutally bad. It’s unacceptable.
Here’s the reality of it all. We will not see a fix for this for months is my guess.

PACO572

7 Likes

I totally understand your frustration as a Track IR user myself.

I’ve toned down my SNAP looks left and right - in fact, I had a good afternoon at my local airfield - really thinking about how I look in the sim and how I do Real World (I’m a real world pilot) and I made some adjustments as a result.

No, whether we get this LOD pop-in addressed or not in the imminent HOTFIX - is, after my activities today, irrelevant - because after addressing my aggressive Track IR requirements - and toning them down as a result to more reflect the way I scan and look around in the cockpit in real life has made me realise - the Lod pop-ins don’t need to be there in the virtual airspace.

Think about what you do real World - and bring it to the sim in the way that you configure Track IR.

And I know, I know, and I know, when you’re on Short Final - it feels like you’re looking everywhere at once - but really, take a look around - put the Sim on Active Pause and experiment with how you really look around. You might well be very surprised. The most you’ll do is scan through 40 degrees of vision to check left and right and above and below. Load up Track IR and see what angles it’s giving - are they necessary? - those extreme angles? - because those are the angles that are making the Sim reload the scenery.

If you re-callibrate your own Track IR to more fit with the way you REALLY look around for SA - whether on Short Final or at FL140 you’ll see no pop-ins - caused by Track IR at least.

I’m just finishing a Track IR MSFS2020 Profile which I’ll happily post here for those who wish to Download.

1 Like

The amount of performance gain I’ve gotten for the overall experience, I’ll happily pay the culling cost twice over. For me it doesn’t really matter because it doesn’t annoy me. The pop-in is fair quick (under a second) and by time my eyes adjust, everything’s popped in. There is no popping on panning which is what I mostly do inside the cockpit.

You can’t make every one happy but I’m willing bet there are a LOT more happier people now with huge jump in performance than those that care about pop-ins…think about that. Do you want Asobo to go back and take away the performance gains that the MAJORITY is enjoying so they can please the small fraction? I don’t think they’ll do that and that pretty much has been their thinking when making choices. That’s the same thinking that most everyone in development/manufacturing world has to do, do I make a design change that helps 90% of the people or do I help the 10% because they have loudest voices on the internet?

There doesn’t need to be a rollback. A simple option to disable occlusion culling would suffice.

5 Likes

Also, when you’re on short final, you shouldn’t be snapping around looking at the horizon to see if you’re getting pop-ins haha jkjk

My point is, during normal use and if you’re focusing on things that matter for the leg of flight you’re in, you’ll likely not even notice the pop in that’s happening way out there on the horizon.

I bet there’s a good chunk of people who didn’t eve notice it until it was mentioned and now it bugs you enough to come complain about it. It’s like when someone points out something to you like a mark, a scratch, a dent that never bothered you before but now it’s bothersome to you…

1 Like

I don’t know if you’ve seen reddit, these forums and some streamers (PC) many are actually quite annoyed by the severe pop-in. (and various other issues)

Its also completely unecesary, its not an on/off thing. they could easily create a slider that allows users to increase lod ranges…

And besides that, its not only LOD pop in, the draw distance is literally a fraction of what it once was. Something actually controllable by sliders, seemingly not working properly currently.

You don’t have to be defensive, no one is coming to take your performance gains away…

3 Likes

A lot of people do notice. It’s already one of the most upvoted requests in the ‘wishlist’ category. Please stop trying to downplay other people’s issues and make assumptions. It’s not constructive.

7 Likes

Why do some people speak about LOD 200, 400, 900? I mean, how does it affect the sim, if I configure the code to more than 200? How is the software able to deliver more details than programmed for the max suitable setting of 200?

I’m not being defensive. I’m just saying some of these visual quality things are SUBJECT as opposed to bugs/issues/FPS those are things/data that can be measured and doesn’t rely on opinions like perceived quality.

I think SU5 looks GREAT! I love the new lighting, the new contrast. I think it looks better than before. You might not… but that’s my opinion vs yours but an opinion none the less. neither of us are right or wrong. Asobo made the decision that my opinion falls in the majority and they decided to go that route. That’s just how things are.

The quality complainers, though the loudest on the internet, make up a very small userbase. If 90% of the users of MSFS are just going by their day and flying away… there is no need to take drastic measures to satisfy the 10%. Like it or not, that’s reality.

I agree that PC users should have more control over options and maybe we’ll get it. I still think this launch was more of a combined update and going forward, now that they have a similar base between Xbox and PC, they will target each one separately working off the same base. This was just a step that was need to bring it all into the same bucket per se.