Explore amazing places with Flight Sim Discovery

Version 1.4

-Updates the Points of Interest database (POIs) to include all the new POIs, photogrammetry cities and enhanced airports from the UK update.
-you can now create waypoints anywhere on the world map with one-click to add to your flight plan (without having to create it as a POI).
-you can rename flight plans you have created
-minor bug fixes

Version 1.3

• Exported Flight plans by default are now stored and shared with everyone on the site, which means each POI can contain one or more tours associated with it. For example click on the Canberra (Australia) POI, and you should see a tour around the east coast of Australia. Just one click more on the tour itself and you can import the .pln right into your MSFS.
    -Stats page accessible by anyone now available. You can find out what are the most popular points of interests, flight plans and the top users.
    -There are now 1645 points of interest to explore
    -An anonymous user (i.e. user not logged in) can now flag a POI if it is inappropriate

Update version 1.2

-added all the new Points of Interest and airports from the new USA update.

Update version 1.1

Based on some user feedback I’ve added some extra functionality to the app:

-you can now search for an individual point of interest (see map search input box)
-you can now name the flight plan before exporting it.
-users who have an account can update the location of their created POIs (before you could only update the name and description)

More functionality coming over the next few weeks :slight_smile:

Original Post

I love flying … have my entire life. But what I really love is exploring this amazing world of ours. As a recreational pilot, having the opportunity to take-off and leave all of the world’s problems behind and go exploring my local area is the highlight of my week. Now, with MSFS, having the ability to authentically explore the entire world is a dream come true.

For the last couple of months, trapped at home due to COVID, I’ve taught myself web development and built myself a web application I call FLIGHT SIM DISCOVERY. I’ve found it really useful, and so I thought I’d share it and give back to the community that has given me so much over the last couple of decades.

So, if you love flying, and really love exploring this amazing planet of ours, then check out Flight Sim Discovery. Flight Sim Discovery is a free , community-based web application that allows you to find places to visit and explore in the world of flight simulation. From the most scenic airports in the world and bush strips, to mind-blowing geological landscapes and towering volcanoes, there are currently over 1500 places to explore and growing - including MSFS photogrammetry cities and POIs.

If you’re intrigued, check out the intro video I made, or the visit the website directly and start exploring:

INTRO VIDEO: (~3 min): https://youtu.be/ubROPYjHJhU

ABOUT FLGIHT SIM DISCOVERY

Flight Sim Discovery is easy to use. Browse the map, or search for points of interest (POIs) based on category, region, country and rating. Create a flight plan by adding one or more points of interest and export to your computer. Start-up Microsoft Flight simulation, load up the flight plan and away you go!

If you like, you can also create an account which allows you to create your own POI’s to keep private or share with the community. Click ‘Create POI’ in the menu or ‘right-click’ on the map. With an account, you can also like, rate, ‘mark as visited’ any other community POI.

Have fun exploring this amazing planet of ours!

Richard, flying out of Australia

9 Likes

Looks interesting! I’ve bookmarked and will check it out fully later.
Thanks

1 Like

Thanks mate… Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions to make it better :slight_smile:

That looks like some awesome work! I look forward to trying it out.

1 Like

Thanks to everybody who have checked this out over the last few days and provided feedback. Over the last few days the community has added 63 new awesome places to explore!

Update version 1.1

Based on some user feedback I’ve added some extra functionality to the app:

-you can now search for an individual point of interest (see map search input box)
-you can now name the flight plan before exporting it.
-users who have an account can update the location of their created POIs (before you could only update the name and description)

More functionality coming over the next few weeks :slight_smile:

Update version 1.2

-added all the new Points of Interest and airports from the new USA update.

Currently developing new functionality that will allow use to share and explore other users flight plans

Now, back to checking out the new USA update :slight_smile:

There’s one lake in Great Britain, I’m told.

Do you know the name?

Hey everyone, just implemented a major piece of functionality which you may find useful. Exported Flight plans are now stored and shared with everyone on the site, which means each POI can contain one or more tours associated with it. For example click on the Canberra (Australia) POI, and you should see a tour around the east coast of Australia. Just one click more on the tour itself and you can import the .pln right into your MSFS.

Other changes made are:

-Stats page accessible by anyone now available. You can find out what are the most popular points of interests, flight plans and the top users.
-There are now 1645 points of interest to explore
-An anonymous user (i.e. user not logged in) can now flag a POI if it is inappropriate

More changes coming in the future. If you have any suggestion then do let me know. I’ll most likely implement them.

Happy flying :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your site is absolutely amazing :slight_smile: thanks for Your work :slight_smile: are You saving the flights for the asobo default discovery tours? A lot of people have problems with those as they are gone with no possibility to repeat the flights.

1 Like

Hi JazzmanPL3090, glad to hear you enjoy the website. I’m not saving Microsoft Discovery tours, but it’s a good idea. I’ll look into to see if it can be done!

Merry Christmas and all the best for the new year!

2 Likes

Thank You and Merry Christmas to You :slight_smile: I think You are filling the gap the sim has with managing the flights which I really appreciate. And I hope You can find a way to inject the tours into Your app. Thanks for Your great work.

Have a nice time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi guys,

I’ve just release a new version of Flight Sim Discovery that updates the Points of Interest database (POIs) to include all the new POIs, photogrammetry cities and enhanced airports from the UK update.

The other main change to come with this new version is you can now create waypoints anywhere on the world map with one-click to add to your flight plan (without having to create it as a POI).

For example, I created a flight out of Exeter in England that took to me NE up to a few Points of Interests, but I also included Bath as a waypoint as I had been there in real life but didn’t think it was interesting enough to create a POI to share with the community.

Other changes include:
-you can rename flight plans you have created

• minor bug fixes

Next up is a big piece of functionality that will show you everywhere you have explored in MSFS. I hope to explore the whole earth eventually so its going to be nice to have a visual record where I have been. Instead of a line it will be a polygon representation dependent on altitude. Stay tuned!

Happy Flying!

Precog

Hey guys, I’ve been working on a massive update to this for the last 3 months that involves an in-game panel. Looking for a couple of testers who might be interested in testing it out for me. If your interested, send me a PM and Ill get in touch

hello, is there a way to change the resolution of the map independently of the resolution of the game? otherwise very cool mod

1 Like

Nice mod. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi Harfentoni, I presume you are talking about the ingame panel? As far as I know you can’t change the resolution of the in-game panel independently of the resolution of the game as of yet. MSFS seems to make the ingame VR panels rediculously large compared to their 2D equivalent. When i have a bit more dev time I might try and play around with it and see if i can come up with a better solution. Might be a good question to ask the SDK guys at the next Q and A

1 Like