External chart viewer (tablet) in the VR cockpit

Hi @nomancs69, I looked into it:
When @ WMR home, just make sure mouse focus is on WMR by pressing Windows key + Y. Then, you can press the Windows key on the keyboard to pull up the WMR menu. Here you can select the desktop option to open the desired window. Drag and scale using mouse.

@PIESKYTOURS: SkyPark seems to be a second screen, mobile device type thing, right? Don’t know much about it.
But if you can run it in Windows using your desktop, it’ll show up like everything else.
We’re talking about a window inside the sim in VR mode that simply shows your desktop and all the apps open therein. It’s like having the flatscreen you see when lifting your headset next to you in VR.
For example, if you open Firefox/Chrome and stream an NBA Playoff game, that’s exactly what you’ll see in the VR window next to you in the cockpit or whatever sim view you’ve selected (The window follows you everywhere).
Come to think of it, live NBA games would be the kind of in-flight entertainment I’d like to see as a passenger on a real flight! Haha

2 Likes

Sorry about the messy, repeditive structure of my posts, BTW.
I don’t post much, and am still figuring it all out. :sweat_smile:

Mea culpa.
Have a great day, fellow flight simmers!

1 Like

Thanks so much for the info! I agree NBA would be perfect in-flight entertainment!

1 Like

Allowing external windows to work is essential in vr even if in third plane mode a window should be allowed to stay open.

Also would be good to have a heading bug somewhere and speed and alittude indicator one that could be turned off and on.

Mod Note: This was merged into this topic per request of the poster.

For years I started my flights at the runway and just took off to my destination. Once there landed and was done.
With FS2020 I really enjoy taxiing around seeing the other traffic on the ground and the airport workers etc.
ATC gets it right most of the time.
We just need a way to see airport diagrams/charts while we have our headsets on. So I’m hoping that this is an area that development enhances.

3 Likes

This topic hasn’t gotten much traction recently, but it is still very important. There are some decent third party solutions out there. Navigraph’s looks to be quite useful (and includes Jeppesen charts), but has a subscription requirement. There are some free PDF viewers. But it seems to me that a basic chart viewer would be a pretty easy add into the base sim that would dramatically improve VR quality of life.

I still think it could be branded as Microsoft Edge or something like that, too! Just being able to pull in random websites would help a lot.

With WMR you can use the open Desktop function to open a Window into your VR instance while playing MSFS that shows your desktop.

Because it opens a window of your desktop you can run whatever programs from a browser to other apps on your desktop and work with them using your mouse and keyboard.

It is a bit clunky in use.

Because it is separate from the game itself, you have Alt+Tab out of the game window and onto the desktop apps you have open in order to use the mouse and keyboard for the choosen app.
You can create custom keybinds of Alt and Tab on your mouse if the mouse is all you need to use in the app and it is easier than reaching for the keyboard.

Also for your mouse to be used within MSFS you have to have the games’s VR window active. Which means it has to be opened on your desktop. So it is useful to resize that VR window down to its smallest size and then park it partly off the desktop so it does not take up all the desktop space. This gives you room to have a program open in a window on the desktop (but not active) while you use the mouse in MSFS. You can look at that program while flying, for example little nav map will show your plane being tracked, without having to alt+tab.

So it is not ideal but it works.

The Desktop window in VR could be of a higher resolution so you can make the window smaller and still see things clearly. And a way to minimize it to just the Window menu bar would be great, but those are things that would have to be done in WMR.

Now if MSFS could use that same WMR Desktop window in VR functionality to create this on the MSFS toolbar THAT WOULD BE GREAT.

I refuse to pay Navigraph the price they require for a subscription, it is unreasonable. In my opinion it is gouging.

All they are doing is serving up a database of charts they do not produce, they buy a license. They inject them into a rather wonky simplistic app that any good freeware programmer could easily do 100X better (look at Little Nav Map in comparision).

And then charging you the same subscription amount you pay for MS XBox with thousands of games? Really?

I’ve been searching the interwebs for any information on whether or not PIMAX headsets can have a “desktop” view inside of the MSFS2020 virtual reality headset view. Currently I am using a HP Reverb which does this fantastically, but am starting to wish for a slightly larger FOV… I just don’t want to lose the functionality of having the ability to have a desktop view (with whatever programs I want to see) running simultaneously in the VR space.

1 Like

I’m with you 100%. I’m looking to get seriously into airliners, which requires some sort of chart viewer. Navigraph is the “best,” but seems overpriced for what it is.

I wish Asobo would just create a simple chart viewer or even just a VR web browser so we could get to Skyvector. I’m also looking at other options, but they all seem clunky.

1 Like

The problem(s) with the Desktop app in WMR are:

1. You cannot minimize it to a tiltle bar
  2. the re-size of it for use in a cockpit is inadquate.
  3. to move it around, open or close it you have to use one of the HP Reveb controllers, which after a few minutes of inactivity auto shut down. Then when you start them up again they go wonky on the simulator advancing the throttles or some other weird thing.

If you have any solutions to that, especially the last one…please let me know…thanks!

1 Like

You can use the mouse.

Win+y to switch mouse focus to/from WMR and then you can use the mouse to position and size the window .

I use autohotkey for the win+y and have it bound to an unused mouse button. That part is not 100% reliable. Sometimes I really do have to find win+y which is tricky :slight_smile:

I am going to try that right away… Binding the Win+Y key…brilliant…have to see if I can do that on my Razer…pretty sure it recognizes the Win key. TY!

1 Like

As those who have seen my posts above know, I’ve been pushing hard for a web browser solution. It looks like there is finally an external app that does that, though it is still pretty early:

https://fsdesktop.com/

If it improves, it could be exactly what we’re all looking for. There is a preview of the current build here:

1 Like

For those who understand such things, would the WASM functionality that is being added make it easier for a tablet to access internet information and bring it into the sim? There does seem to be some sort of technical barrier to doing that right now.

This would definitely be something to add to MSFS 2024 out of the box!

Something like this would do the trick, no worries.

New ingamepanel like a tablet - General Discussion & Community Support / Virtual Reality (VR) - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

That does look like quite a powerful tool. It has web functionality built in so seems to be able to talk to the outside world.