Eye adaption has been removed

I try to explain the problem once again, because there still seems to be a lot of confusion. Yes, when you directly look at a bright spot in the scene, there isn’t much difference between before and after SU10. The difference is when you look down into a cockpit to fiddle with instruments etc., because the contrast is so extreme on a sunny day:

This is what it looks like with SU10 when you look down into a dark cockpit to do something:

And here is what I used to look with SU9. This is an edit of the above image to approximate what it looked like to make the difference clear.

For those who do photography: that’s an exposure difference of 1 and a half stops, meaning the cockpit brightness has been reduced to less then half of what it used to be, looking down.

Here is an actual SU9 image for reference:

Yes the outside was washed out, when you looked down into the cockpit. But that didn’t matter, because you were focusing on the cockpit to do what you wanted to do. But when you looked outside again, the image became darker again, so it looked good.

It’s among other things a “quality of life” thing that they took away. It’s more cumbersome to operate the instruments in the 737 now. And I’m most definitely not going to mess around with my gamma settings now, when I didn’t have to for over two years and in no other game.

5 Likes

The OP reported the cockpit is dark if he is in full zoom out. I depicted some screenshots where the cockpit is not darker…

Now also a screen with zoom only on cockpit…

Do a shot where the sun is coming from the front, keeping the cockpit in shadows, not one where the sun illuminates (as in brightens up) the cockpit from behind.

Anyway, I’m done explaining the issue. I did the best job I could. It’s obvious that many people don’t understand the issue or do not care.

4 Likes

will try to find different spot :slight_smile:

And we know the effect is changed, but makes it the game unplayable ? no…

Why devs decide to lower the effect and not give users the slider, we can only guess. May be it is only a side-effect to fix the VR issue and the wish was’nt just not in focus/known.

PS: I assume lots of other users like the new softer effect, because they no longer see only “white” if they look outside the window. Therefore the slider is important, otherwise the pro-and-contr disucssion will never end :slight_smile:

1 Like

IMHO the second picture is overexposed for the inside, as well as for the outside. The first, darker picture looks fine to me but I can see how splitting the difference might look nice.

Wouldn’t it be nice if we had exposure and contrast controls in the sim so we could tune it how we like it, without anyone else making a decision for us?

1 Like

and here the new spot ( jumped into the air and fly into the sun )

It is still “ok” for me :relaxed:

( ah… and all cockpit lights off )

EDIT:

and now I catched a good example where we see that the cockpit become brigther, because the Eye adaption still exist

look to front:

and go down with the head:

It’s not fine, it’s on a bright sunny day. The second picture is what it would look like with all the ambient light bouncing around in the cockpit. The first image looks like it’s after sundown or on an overcast day, not like at midday with clear skies.

2 Likes

I’ll have to take your word for it. My eye still says first one’s only a smidge dark, whereas the bright one’s wayy too bright. I could be wrong though!

The SU10 image looks spot on. If it’s about realism, you would have on sunglasses if flying into the sun, and the flight deck would indeed be somewhat darkened. Leave it as is or provide us a slider.

1 Like

Based on all the answers here the consensus is that 50% like it and 50% want it back. I believe the slider/option is the best way forward.

That way everyone get’s what they want and can enjoy the sim.

The question going forward is how can we bring this to Asobo’s attention?

3 Likes

Somebody tried to post a vote thread on the issue, but unfortunately the moderator closed it down. I also tried to bring it to one of the team’s attantion, and the moderator edited-out that too :frowning:

well… may be because the mentioned wish topic still exists :wink:

We know eye-adaption was not removed and so the wish to make it customizable is still valid and waits for votes. More votes on that existing wish give a higher chance that users get that feature.

2 Likes

Add me to the list that prefers the SU10 look. When flying it is important to monitor both inside and outside the cockpit simultaneously, and so maintaining a consistent, stable light level is more important that prettier contrast ratios. It’s still awfully pretty. Everyone saying “ugh it looks like FSX now” needs to boot up FSX for a bit because no it sodding doesn’t.

That said, I’m all in favor of a slider so the effect may be seasoned to taste.

1 Like

We should definitely have a vote. Most people like the new feature but they also agree that a slider should be present so everyone benefits.

Hi Folks,

This Wishlist item below is probably of interest. Recommend you review, and if in alignment, participate and vote. Thanks!

2 Likes

That wishlist is arguing for what we now have in SU10.

Given that the topic is so divisive it’s clear that the only solution is to make the effect configurable in the options.

Once again the only way going forward to bring this to attention is to make the eye adaption a configuration option as a wishlist item.

my english is worst, but google translator tell me, that this is exactly about what we speak here:

You know you can disable eyeadaptation in the usercfg.file right. You cant adjust it, but you can turn it off all together. Its under postprocess effect group. If your using VR make sure to turn it off in the VR section as well.

The other topic is based on the opinion that there was too much eye adaption, meaning the environment is too over-exposed when looking at the instruments, and vice versa. As can be clearly seen in this post.

Asobo appear to have responded to that by reducing the effect and lowering the overall exposure which fixes the outside environment, but means that cockpits are now ‘too dark’.

For those claiming the effect has been ‘removed’, it’s still obviously there. The left of this screenshot was taken with the camera pointing straight out of the window, the right with the camera panned down into the cockpit. Change in exposure is clear, just much less than pre-SU10…

3 Likes