F/A18-Hornet control issues when landing

Anyone else having major control issues with the FA18 upon landing? For example, alerions are all over the place and its as if i have all assists on, when I dont…

Hello, besides all the VR issues strange issues with flaps and trim. I put flaps to and it keeps switching up and down without me touching the controls while on the runway without even taking off. All assists turned off,

Broken flaps, jerk up or down in parking

Mine wouldn’t control at all until I realised there’s a dedicated Jet control option now in the menu

2 Likes

Where about? In which part of the menu?

Can you share where to find that setting please?

I’ve had some weird issues with the F18. Not positive that they’re issues yet, but definitely differences from other F18s I’ve flown in other sims.

For me, it seems like the F18 randomly loses roll responsiveness and rolls very sluggishly, but then will suddenly become much more agile again and roll normally. I know roll responsiveness is affected by speed, but it seems like it’s way off or glitching out sometimes.

Another thing I really don’t like about the plane, it won’t let you fly too low. If you start to get too close to the ground, it will fight you and automatically pull up to where it wants to be. It’s a big deal breaker when you enjoy low flying. This is with all assists off, wonder if anyone else has this happen too?
You have to fly pretty low for it to happen.
I don’t know if that’s some sort of safety feature in a real F18. Can’t imagine it would be.

One other thing that felt pretty bad: While flying inverted in the F18, it has a really hard time pitching the nose down (gaining altitude while inverted). There were times I wasn’t even able to keep the plane up while inverted.

This happens around Mach 0.95 to just after Mach 1. If I’d have to look it up, but off memory the FCS dampens roll inputs in that range to prevent transonic wing flutter.

1 Like

Flaps appear to be broken. They just go up and down by themselves. If you’re in 3rd person view; the flaps tab will be all the way up but it’ll show flap 40. This may be why people are having handling issues.

Its the Super Hornet. They do that in real life. Its all automated. The pilot doesn’t have to worry about controlling them.

1 Like

I found another issue related to what I previously said.

If you’re flying too close to the ground while inverted, that auto correction will still try to take over when you get too close and it will actually pull you INTO the ground as if it thinks you’re not inverted.

My air brake axis doesn’t work with the hornet. Anyone else?

I use the same binding as for the spoilers/speed brakes for the A320 and Aermacchi and it works fine. Hope you can get it to work!

Check your settings in the Assistance screen to make sure they were not set to “easy”. The easy settings try to prevent you from some of the things that many of you were explaining in this thread.

Have you verified that you don’t have all assists on?

Because the update defaulted all assists on for me. Then I removed all assists (except ATC) and took the plane out for a spin with success.

The next time I started the simulator, all assists were back on again. Same procedure as above.

Third time I opened the simulator, all assists were back on again. This time, I changed the assists both in the pause menu and triggered the save button in the main menu options. It was first at that time the changes were saved (at least it seems like it so far).

The brake does not work for me. Aircraft feels like it brakes by itself. Can’t imagine it should be like that.

1 Like

Please keep in mind that the Super Hornet in MSFS is no way near a full fidelity add-on, it has a lot of issues. So you can’t compare it to any other F/A-18 sims.

The break toggle works for me but the super hornet is so called because it’s a super sophisticated plane in real life that does a lot of things without pilot input. For example there’s no need to adjust the flaps manually.

Absolutely, I love it despite the low flying thing, especially since I’ve found the afterburners.
Looks great and is a lot of fun to fly/land.

It lands lika a basketball :joy: