FA18 super Hornet autopilot

I’ve tried flying the super hornet for a bit and it was a lot of fun, but haven’t been able to figure out how the autopilot works. I managed to get the heading select to work, but the altitude modes are a bit mystifying so far. Anyone of a nice tutorial or have any tips for how to use it? I suppose there won’t be a way to follow a flight plan, but just heading and altitude holds? Is it possible to alter altitude using the autopilot? Any help would be welcome!

No flight plan following like you’d be used to from G1000/747/A320 style autopilots. If you have a flight plan loaded you can press the WYPT button on the DDI and you’ll see an option for CPL WYPT appear in the autopilot menu. It’s very basic and will just fly directly to the selected waypoint, when you reach it you have to manually cycle to the next waypoint on the HSI then turn on CPL WYPT again.

GTRK will track you current track over the ground, if you press it again it goes into GSEL mode and tracks over the ground based on the heading bug.

BALT holds the current barometric altitude, no adjusts can be made to the target altitude other than turning it off and manually changing altitude before turning it back on.

Hi,

It’s in french, but very good to understand the FA18 auto pilot.

Good flight

You’ll want to explore our Pilot Guides sections. Lots of good user authored information there:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.