FBW A320 AP not flying IFR route

I read at the FBW site that the VFR map does not work well with their a/c. Talks about what you experienced. You prolly should go there and check under Documents and see if you can find the article.
Interestingly, I had a flight this afternoon and the VFR map was spot on with the MFD flight plane. Whatdyagonnado…

This is because you have a F-PLN DISCONTINUITY on the F-PLN Page… At the gate, while you’re doing your pre-flight checks, you need to check through your entire flight plan, make sure there’s no F-PLN DISCONTINUITY after picking the SIDs, and STARs, and Approach.

Once you see any F-PLN DISCONTINUITY, click the CLR button on the MCDU, and click on the line with the F-PLN DISCONTINUITY, and that should remove it, and will have your entire flight plan connected all the way down to the runway.

1 Like

Bless you sir!! I did have one of those and I knew there was something wrong with that!!! I appreciate the prompt response!!

Loving the sim brief. It was quick to pick up and brings so much more simulation I feel!

That’s good to hear. Also one thing that I find to be enjoyable is that whenever I create a new flight plan, I always use the Custom Route and use the Find Route button. That way the SimBrief will always reprocess the entire route to give you the best routing, complete with SIDs and STARs.

I find that by default, when you enter the origin and destination, it just gives you the most common and recently used route. Which sometimes have missing SIDs and STARs and sometimes just not valid for the current AIRAC cycle.

So using the Custom Route and use the find route button always refreshes the entire route and recalculate them properly.

1 Like

I will keep that in mind!! I will do that when I create my next flight plan!

Boy! Great info. Love hearing from an expert. So helpflul.

Neo is our very own “Local Legend” :beers:

I would like to add that sometimes (often I think), the flight plan discontinuities are part of the proper procedure. They exist after a MANUAL leg because in real life, you would start to get vectors from ATC to the approach. Since MSFS ATC can not do vectors, you can vector" yourself to the approach and then use the DIRECT-TO to get back on the flight plan.

You can also delete it as Neo suggested, but you need to be careful that it doesn’t create an impossible turn or other acute angle. If things match up nicely and I don’t feel like vectoring myself, sometimes I’ll delete the discon. as well, but usually I try to leave the procedure as it is in real life with the discon. and then fly in heading mode, setting myself up for the final approach and then using a DIRECT-TO.

1 Like

Are you saying you go direct to FAF/Outer Marker and then switch to ILS?

Go direct to the first waypoint after the discontinuity (after you’ve “vectored” yourself to an intercept course). The discontinuity will happen after the last point in the STAR but before the approach. So, yeah, usually you’ll want to be ready to go into approach mode after you go direct.

Got it. Thx!

Unfortunately I’m getting no luck lately. Loading the flight plan from MCDU menu and or loading the flight plan from the word menu, it all loads in fine.
I double check the FPLAN page on MCDU and clear out any “Flight DISCUNTY” lines.

The route on the ND screen looks perfect from the departing airport, plan flys the route as normal, but once I get near the airport a piece of the route is missing on the ND screen the green line just goes straight continuously.

I Have read other places some have had issues with recent updates of Sim and simbrief?

It is my understanding that FBW has rolled their own custom FMC that may no longer work with the in sim flight planner. I use simbrief for flight planning with the FBW A320 and have not recently attempted to use the in sim planner with that aircraft. You might raise this issue on their discord channel to confirm this behavior.

Try to get a screenshot of both the ND and most importantly the LEGS page next time that happens. Otherwise it’s anyone’s guess unfortunately. Some approaches have a VECTORS sector on purpose for example.

If you want to dive more in depth they have an excellent support channel (and other fun/informative channels) on their discord. Maybe check that out for real time feedback.

Also you need to make sure that in the EFB FlyPad settings you set the MSFS symc to None. That way the flight plan you loaded from the world map and the one in MCDU doesn’t conflict with each other.

1 Like

I have not checked that! That could be my issue! I will give it a look. Do you suggest loading Simbrief FP on the world screen or do you recommend loading into the destination airport and importing the sim brief plan via MCDU?

Once you set the MSFS Sync to None on the FlyPad, I suggest that you load the SimBrief FP on both the world map screen and the MCDU.

The one on the world map is specifically just for MSFS Flight Log tracking and ATC purposes. Without the FP loaded in the world map, you won’t have ATC IFR clearance and the flight logging might not work. But the actual flying the FP itself is done from the MCDU itself. So as long as you have the same SimBrief FP loaded to both World Map and MCDU, you’ll fly the exact same route, and the ATC and flight logging tracks the exact same route as well.

1 Like

Thank you! That makes sense… I will give it a shot here shortly. Appreciate all the help!

Everything seems to flying as it should!! All is working well. I do, however, have an odd issue. I’m the screen shot you will see the VFR map (route matches what my simbreif plan shows. The plan follows as it should too.

The odd thing is the ND shows the same route too (as loaded via MCDU/simbreif but the route is going the opposite way as if I’m moving backward.

You can see in the screen shot the green route is going behind me rather then in front of me on the radar!

Any idea what’s happening?

Is it just a display of the line on the ND, or does the aircraft also flies backward as well?

The aircraft is flying backwards as well. Moving along the route, just backwards.

And when I reached the same area I was going to begin the approach, I spoke too soon, the plan just decided to ignore the the route and flys straight.

In this screen shot you will see on the VFR map and the route with the arrival and approach, but on the ND screen the route just goes straight but you can still see the very end of the route.
Like the turn is missing or the arrival!

Which the arrival that was preloaded when I loaded the simbreif on the world screen matches when I loaded the FP via the MCDU. I go through my FPLAN in game and verify/select the arrivals/approaches as they are.