FBW A32NX Autothrust/Levers

Maybe you’ve put too much force ramping them to position? I actually keep the detents and relieved the resistances bit to not rub the potentiometer too hard

And then there’s me… completely destroyed the resistance and my throttle moved like a feather gliding on ice the moment I unboxed my TCA Quadrant… :rofl:

It feels very light indeed but with gentle force I kid of feels ok, as long as it won’t fall back to idle due to gravity

I think the detent is secure enough to hold the throttle in position. It’s the “in-between” detents that my throttle quadrant can’t hold in-place. Because it will always fall down to the nearest detent.

Those I think is intentional, but tbh my flying habit is somewhat special, for cruise or so I usually use the AP and ATHR, but during descend and approach I would do full manual flying instead, which means fine tuning my throttle power below CLB detent to make the thrust more symmetrical and at the same time flying manually with side stick, so a lot of movement to the throttle indeed but not affected by the detents, originally i think the higher resistance is what feels best as replicating the real plane, then I think about longevity of the throttle and determine to make the resistance just enough to hold position in the throttle setting below clb

Tightened the screw too much? I’ve heard this is common. Mine could be much tighter but I’m afraid of stripping that screw.

Am I the only one that removed the physical gates? I don’t even remember when I removed them, forgot if there were instructions or if I did it on my own. All I knew is that was going to make flying anything else besides airbus, quite frustrating.

Can you elaborate? What is incorrect?

As I know you can turn the gates for about 180 degrees and then you got no stops. But I am only using it for the a320. As I fly another plane, I change my equipment.

He did elaborate above.

Yeah, I pulled it out of the box and tested the throttle. Then I found it not tight enough, so I tighten the tension screw… Then as I keep tightening it, it cracks and it became really loose. Now no matter how many turns I screw, it never stops, and my throttle is completely loose in between detents.

And this is not even 5 minutes after I unboxed it, before I even plugged it in. Just my luck, eh…

Nah, simulating the effect of Flex temp is different than determining what Flex temp to use for a given takeoff are 2 different things. We have the data on what N1 a given Flex temp would give and what thrust that should lead to, as well as the effect on CLB N1 specific to the NEO.

Determining what Flex temp to use requires a takeoff performance calculation for that specific takeoff. We do not have complete data for that yet.

That equation makes no sense at all. He is sort of calculating the ISA temperature for the airport elevation (but doing that wrong) and then adding it to the actual OAT. That doesn’t give you a Flex temp to use for reducing engine thrust. If he had done the ISA temp calc correctly (by subtracting the 1.66 from 15 instead of adding it) and then subtracting that from the actual OAT (instead of adding it), he would have determined the ISA+ temperature deviation at the airport. But that is not the Flex temp.

To understand Flex, you need to know a little bit about engine takeoff thrust vs temperature. Jet engines are designed to output a fairly constant thrust up to a temperature called the flat rate temperature. Up to that temperature, you get the same amount of thrust. So if you want reduced thrust (to save wear and tear on the engine or whatever), you first have to tell the engine that the temperature is above the flat rate temperature.

For the Leap 1A-26 engines being simulated on the A320neo, the flat rate temperature is ISA+29C. This is 44 C at sea level. Thus, the minimum Flex temp for these engines is 45 C. If you put in anything below 45, you don’t get any thrust reduction.

Next, the Flex temp has to be above the actual OAT. Your actual OAT may already be above the flat rate temperature. If it is you are in the region where temperature does affect thrust output, and your thrust level is already below the flat rate thrust. To get a further reduction in thrust, you need to give the engine an even higher temperature.

Lastly, there is by regulation a limit to the amount of thrust reduction you can use. That limit is a 25% reduction in thrust. That determines the highest Flex temp you can use. For the Leap 1A-26 engines on the neo, that temperature is ISA+59C at sea level, or 74C. (FBW doc needs to be updated.)

To figure out what Flex temp to use for a given takeoff, you need to know how much thrust you need to have to just meet the takeoff performance requirements for that takeoff. For that, takeoff performance tables or a takeoff performance calculator is needed, which we don’t have yet for the A320neo.

3 Likes

Lot’s of good info. Thanks.

Can you please explain exactly what the message on A.Floor exactly means, and what will cause it.
thnaks

A.Floor is the Alpha Floor protection mode. If your aircraft is flying too slow and under a risk of stalling, the aircraft takes over the throttle and start applying full thrust to speed up and get out of the stall zone.

Pitch up too high on takeoff and you’ll find it :grinning: