Fenix A320 - The FPS Topic

Not sure if something like this was already created.

But my main focus here is that people post their system and average FPS they are getting or even a specific config that helped achive a better fps.

So maybe people can get some help and improve fenix on their system and get the best of it.

From my experience whats destroys fps on the sim depends on the airport.
JFK / LAX and simliar airports can literally destroy the fps on this game.
Also when moving the camera inside or outside, FPS can really have huge drops.
Do you guys use VSYNC? What TLOD are you using?

I found that at 100 things get really good, if i go to 200 drops a lot.

Just curious because Im starting to think that my Ryzen 3600x is my main botleneck here, even getting good fps.

System: RYZEN 3600X / 32GB RAM / RTX 3080 (1440p)
I get an average of 45-50 fps but depending on the airport can drop to 30-35fps

I also came by those 2 videos that really helped me setup and get better fps:

Just looking to people share and help each other achive the best fps for their machine.

My question is: Ryzen 3600x (6 CORE) is enough to pair with an RTX 3080? really starting to think i might need to go for an 8 or 12 core CPU.

1 Like

5800x with an RTX 3070 here. TLOD at 200, Render Scaling 100, and OLD 200. All settings high apart from ultra for clouds. With the Fenix I’m getting over 50 fps at cruise and 30 plus on the ground. All smooth. I’ve set the Fenix to GPU preferred. VSYNC off. 1920/1080 monitor though. DX11.

1 Like

Interesting, i forgot to mention im running on 1440p
Seems like on ground FPS is always lower.

5800x is 12 core correct?
Does it have IGPU?

What about on busy airports like JFK or LAX ?
Those airports destroys fps on ground.

Appreciate the reply

TLOD hammers the MainThread hard, especially at bespoke airports in or around photogrammetry areas.

1 Like

Don’t even know what IGPU is lol. Busy airports are ok. LAX & EGLL are ok, lower fps but still smooth. Maybe the monitor resolution is the difference for me - along with the CPU. I don’t mess with over clock or tweak too much. Wouldn’t know how anyway!

1 Like

With the current implementation of DX11, an 8-core or 12-core wouldn’t show that much of an improvement over your current 6 core. Since the DX11 pipeline uses a main render thread that is often bottlenecked, single-core speed currently matters more than core count. Moving to say a 5600x (6-core), 5800x (8-core), and 5900x (12-core) would likely net you a performance bump due to its higher single-core boosting potential on Zen 3 and superior binning. Just something for you to consider before assuming more cores = more performance.

Note that I said current implementation. Technically speaking, the move to DX12 should solve the main thread being bottlenecked, but doesn’t necessarily mean performance would significantly improve.

3 Likes

when the processor have a GPU built in. Helps a lot when using to render displays option on fenix.

appreciate the explanation.

Now, why DX12 still beta on MSFS??

Maybe a intel i9 with those 5ghz single threads would make difference?

Yes, the 12900k is currently the best for MSFS due to its >5 Ghz single-core boost speed. However, I wouldn’t suggest upgrading to that, as Zen 4 (with a rumored 5.6 Ghz boost speed) and Intel 13th gen is right around the corner.

I believe there are some significant performance updates to DX12 for the upcoming SimUpdate 10. The current DX12 is mainly a port with little to no optimization.

2 Likes

Yes you are right. Not only that, but DDR5 / PCIE 5.0 as well.
And knowing intel, they always change the socket so that means a brand new computer.

Ill definitelly wait till 2023.

Hello, I have the feeling that at first the FENIX performed much better on my PC. Now after a month in the cockpit when I’m on the ground, when I rotate the camera I go from 30 or 35 to drops of up to 7 or 8 FPS.
r3800X
RTX2070SUPER
16 RAM
21:9 MONITOR

1 Like

There are zero FPS issues when flying the Fenix with Ryzen 5 2400G Vega 11 iGPU.
There is no difference when choosing the Fenix compared to for example choosing the GotFriends Glider or the Cessna 414.

But! Some of the add-on airports are absolute to avoid… oh wow I can almost hear the dia-projector slide noises while having 1 - 5 FPS. But this is happening with all airplanes on specific DLC aiports so it´s an airport issue.

I´m on a Ryzen 3600x and a 3080 getting around 50-55fps on 1440p (All Ultra)
only on busy airports i get around 30-35fps on the ground

whats your average FPS on the iGPU?

cmon i see you fly a lot, you should have a RTX 3080/3090 :wink:

what resolution are you playing?
Level of terrain ? Objects?
post a screenshot of your fenix app - configs
there are a lot of things that can make you get better fps

ps: with GPU going for cheap right now, get a 3070 :wink:

Hmmmm I don´t know because there is no FPS counter in FS20.

It feels rather fluent in less populated areas with I guess 20 FPS, NY or other areas maybe 18 FPS, most settings on medium some important ones like texture quality, cloud quality, forest and vegetation quality on high or ultra.
Some add-on airports are impossible, there is 1 FPS while looking at the tower :smiley:

To be honest I had to save up all money to buy a Smart, VW Up or other super low fuel consumption car for my new nightly delivery job that´s why no flying with graphics card and 3D VR headset yet :smiley: this is planned in early autumn.

But maybe not an RTX3090 this is way too expensive and would require a new PSU, a Radeon 6700 series, depending on the design of the graphics card, would be sufficient I think.

1 Like

There is: Turn ON Dev Mode and select show FPS. You will get all the performance from the GPU/CPU.

To tell you the truth, even a 3060Ti / 3070 would be enough if you are not playing 1440p or above.
A 3060 would do the job for you, to get much better FPS. I dont even think you need a better CPU.

RTX 3090 is not need, said for fun. My 3080 still only uses around 6-7gb of memory with everything ULTRA, but im playing on 2k not 4k (Yet)

1 Like

Yes and there is also an Gigabyte Eagle design of the GeForce 3060 too, and it is available with 12 GB RAM (important for Photoshop and heavily modded games with extreme texture sizes)

Here is the 8 GB version of the GeForce Eagle :slight_smile:

But the Radeon Eagle 6700XT, unfortunately limited to 8 GB VRAM, is the best looking and most minimalistic looking card with huge open fins for cooling. It´s a little bit darker which might fit better into my casemod, but silver always looks superb and all my coolers are silver anyway.
https://www.scan.co.uk/images/products/super/3350103-l-d.jpg

I have noticed that not the Fenix is a problem to overcome for the computer hardware, but big airports are.

I park the Fenix on some small GA airport when going into the cockpit not to fly but to play around with it´s cockpit systems, the framerate there is as fluent as clear water while the Fenix is parking literally in the woods.

But when being at the gate on huge airports, hmmm 10 FPS and less is going on there - but not because of the Fenix, only because of the addon airports.
Some problematic airports like LEMD Madrid, LEBL Barcelona, KMIA Miami, are impossible to start and land and are a dia presentation with 1 FPS :smiley:

Others like MUHA Jose, LIMD Sestri (the awesome one with all the ships and harbours) and Meigs Field Chicago, Mallorca (Palma, I don´t know the airport code) have a wonderful performance.

The Fenix looks absolute great but is not very power-hungry, I don´t feel a FPS difference compared to an Asobo default plane when choosing the Fenix - only the huge airports airliners normally use to departure and land are what eat all the FPS.
Because I was always flying GA in nature and bush (with my Glider or the Cessna 414) I have never noticed how bad the performance of these big airports is on my computer without graphics card.

It´s not the Fenix fault :wink: it´s the huge airports that bring weak graphics chips to their knees.

Try to departure your Fenix from some small GA bush airfields, and park the Fenix afterwards on the gate of some city-sized international airport, and you know what I mean when the FPS counter has suddenly 30FPS less compared to somewhere in the bush.

That´s why the next Fenix update should be the “STOL bushflight package, only 300 meter runway needed thanks to support rockets that have been already tested on the C-130, and monster truck tires - for FPS friendly backcountry airfields” *ggg

1 Like

What monitor size and resolution you play?

I´ve been a gamer for quite sometime and i can assure you Nvidia is much better and easier to handle than the Radeons. Specially with the DLSS support coming in the SU10. Nvidia Exclusive.

I can point you in the direction of a good Nvidia RTX card, small, good cooling.

Never go for gigabyte. Asus and EVGA are the best.

this is a great one. great construction, backplate, very good cooling and very small.
Also 12gb of memory on the 3060 would be a better deal than the 3060Ti with only 8gb.
Always good to have some extra memory, specially for a sim.

Anything less than 30fps for a sim like this and specially you that as i can see plays a lot is a torture!

Hi, a 65" 4k monitor is used for simming.
What do you think of this graphics card? Awesome cooling solution with four fans:

That is some real massive-looking stylish graphics card :slight_smile:
When removing the backplate and bringing it to my car paint shop this stupid and childish and over-the-top white looking markings on the back plate will be fully matte black, and this card will look double as stylish!

The Inno iChill X4 is too expensive because normally I buy only 350 - 450€ graphics cards, but if I wait a few months maybe this one might might get a little bit more cheap and will cost ~600.
In this case I buy myself a real nice expensive christmas present for flight simming!

But after using AMD and Radeon since… forever, I would like to know if an Nvidia card can be undervolted and throttled to -50%?
I need to throttle it until buying a new PSU, because the PSU has only 550 watts of power, and I heard that all these Nvidia cards need 800-1000 watts PSU power. My computer would simply shut off if this card cannot be throttled and undervolted.