File Cannot be accessed

Hi everyone,
I now have another issue, any files I drop into the community folder end up being inaccessible.
I can copy files or delete them in the Community folder but they cannot be opened or read, so they don’t work. Even those downloaded from other sites don’t work.
I get this error when I try to open them:
the appx file cannot be accessed because it is not encrypted as expected.
However if I open Windows in safe mode they work fine. I can open them and edit them.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Where is your community folder located?

It’s located on the C: drive.
The usual:
C:\Users\ username \AppData\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community

Is this link any help?

It’s exactly the same problem, this message “APPX file cannot be accessed because it is not encrypted as expected”, is what I get when I try to access anything in the Community folder.
The only work around I’ve found is to use a small utility called Link Shell Extension that creates a link to a file in another location. This all works fine, but is not ideal going forward.
I sent the file I’d created to a colleague, who said it works fine on his system, so It’s definitely something to do with my file system on the PC.
If I drop a file I created straight into the Community Folder, it simply doesn’t work. Obviously MSFS cannot access it either.

Was the solution that was posted in that link any help?

If you read through the post he’s explaining how he tried to fix it, but only came up against the same access error as I did.
I did know about the UserCfg.opt but that also impacts any other products you have installed into the program. Including any commercial ones. So it would mean copying about 90GB of data to another drive. I’m not sure if you can do that where commercial products are concerned.

In that post is another, it states that the only way to fix this, is to uninstall MSFS, and do a format on the drive.
Probably not what you wanted to hear!

You are so right!
Sorry, I missed that second post, I’ve been searching elsewhere for an solution. I write for a magazine, so a complete reinstall is not an option at the moment, but it might comes to that eventually.
I tend to reinstall Windows roughly every two years anyway.

Adding and removing review products generally screws it up over time, so it’s part of my regular maintenance. But with MSFS it’s going to be a massive download; I estimate about 200GB. That should keep the local bandwidth down for a few hours. :smiley: :innocent:

1 Like