Finally.....Solved CTD issues... for those of us with < 32 GB ram

You must be a Microsoft developer? Lol

3 Likes

No, just a simmer…

Edit
Sorry, did not notice your response was to GIEI.

Glad you finally found your solution! Looks like it took you a while to find, so I bet that’s a good feeling :partying_face:

1 Like

Isn’t Page File just another word for Cache?

1 Like

I was it for 15 years :slight_smile:

So on your C drive is paging file set to “system managed” or set to 16 GB ?
On your D drive is paging file set to “system managed” or set to 16 GB ?

Nope.

At high settings this sim is incapable of keeping stability with 16GB of committable memory or less. If you add another 16GB of virtual memory on top of your 16GB of physical for a total of 32GB committable, the crashes become temporary freezes or stutters instead. While less than idea, at least the application is able to run indefinitely. Alternatively you could lower settings until the memory requirement for prolonged use falls below the 16GB limit but that takes a bit more testing than setting a page file. You also get much less eye candy. Is that worth the stutters caused by swapping? Dunno.

The devs said that the upcoming updates will bring “2x the memory optimisation”. What exactly that will translate to in terms of memory footprint I have no idea.

2 Likes

I wanna see more spread of the Main Thread across the other cores!

Wouldn’t that even out the Sim / Not Game Cores!

Be interested to see the results of this!?

Additional 32GB arrives next Tuesday (2-2-2021).

I’ll post the result on going from 32GB to 64GB.

1 Like

How do you determine this?

1 Like

@Vinman1776 have done and mention the correct recommended solution.

The game needs overall 32Gig memory. You have to increase windows virtual memory ( pagefile ) if you own less than 32Gig RAM.

You can use forum search function and you will find so many post where exactly this was the solution.

Old Examples:

( extended test )

@MSFSRonS images in second link might helpfully for you )

I installed 64GB of RAM almost right from the start and have had maybe 2/3 CTD’s since installation of the sim. I monitor the performance and see the CPU rarely goes anywhere near 100%, GPU is almost always at 100%, GRAM the same. Ordinary RAM hardly ever gets near 50% which would seem to rerinforce the idea that MSFS needs 32GB.

I don’t try to run at highest graphics settings, just prefer no stuttering etc.

(Yes, I know, could do with a better graphics card, currently GTX 1650)

64GIG this is not the topic here… read the OP post , then you see that he own 16GIG RAM. Only then is an additional increasement necessary ( we recommend in this case 20Gig Max). See the links…

If you have CTD as for other reason, please join the existing threads in issue category ( e.g the big CTD thread). We are ready to help :slight_smile:

@Vinman1776 possible you can made the heading more clear ( users with less than 32 Gig RAM are affected )

Done. Updated topic heading.

1 Like

@SpeedbirdTen392
I have “Custom size” checked for both drives. The formula I used (and I don’t know if it will work for all setups) is 1.5 x 1024 x 16 to get 24,576 MB.

I saw this formula in a Windows 10 forum (I’ll see if I can find it and link it) but the topic and forum had nothing to do with MSFS2020.

It continues to work for me. Not one CTD. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

@MSFSRonS mentioned another important point

( unfortunately he answered in the other thread

)

Be aware that you have allways enough free space on your disk !

Windows can not increase the pagefile or create temp file or or if your drive is completely full… This cause also in most cases a OutOfMem , also in case that you e.g. own 32Gig.

a note about 1.5x… this is a very old “rule” and not so important :slight_smile:

You just have to set what you need for your application. In case MSFS (1.12.13.0) you need overall memory at least 32Gig RAM.

Great I tested it yesterday and was able to do a 6 hour flight without a CTD for the first time. I have 16GB (still) and have increased both drives: the c: where Win 10 is on it and the D: where the FS is on it. it worked. I’m doing more tests today! But only with AI traffic not with live traffic!

also not needed to configure pagefile on two or more drives… put it on the fastest drive you own :slight_smile:

Oh, I thought it had to be where WIN 10 is on it. And as a precaution I also did it where the FS is on it. It’s on an SSD. So would that be enough?