First thoughts on sim update 5

ok an update. when i load fiumicino Rome LIRF everything works but when i want to go to chicago KORD i get stuck while loading. does anyone else have such problems or something went wrong with my sim?

It works!!!.. i followed the instruction on how to clean the fbw a320nx installation. Deleted on the appdata directory. Uninstall the marketplace a320nx. Install the development, and poof… switch working… haha… thanks man…

2 Likes

My experience…

Emptied community folder. Got core exe update from Steam. Launched game. Update went fine…took a while but saw numbers about 250 Mbit. Rebooted.

Went into the game and updated content. Content update went fine too. Rebooted.

Went to world map…I could move the map, but when I released the button, it would scroll (rotate the globe) to the North Pole. Unplugged the Xbox controller I was using for drone control…lockup. Had to ctrl alt del out of it.

Back in, changed mouse to legacy. Mouse worked as normal. Plugged in the Xbox controller…lockup again.

This game cannot handle any peripheral changes, plug ins, unplugs, etc. not mouse, kb, controller, nor launching of WMR app. All cause a lockup, 100%.

Went into my standard reference location setup, xcub at Meigs, looking north at the city. Had about +15 FPS and much smoother. Went into VR. Blurry, but smoother.

Installed the latest Nvidia driver something.41 with HAGS on. Reentered that same scene. Clear and stutter free. Glitchy, sticky mouse when trying to pan the chase view is gone. Instruments clear. Esc menus in VR are much more clear too. In cockpit, much smoother. The xcubs flap handle, the worst offender, does not stutter with head rotation. New WT G3x was also installed, no problems I’ve yet found.

My big stutter tests are two items. Taxi fast right by taxiway lights and look to the side as they go by. No stutter or wagging anymore. Second test, take off and buzz the Meigs add on boats in the harbor at about 100 kts and about 100 ft. Look down at them. They would always or sometimes flicker back and forth. not now. They pass smoothly rapidly by beneath the wing in VR.

Huge improvement in VR overall. Got a few random stutters that feel like data loading stutter, likely with server load. I’ll wait and see if those get better at a time other than launch +5 hours.

I can’t say I noticed terrain nor scenery popins. Maybe just my old eyes, so I’ll count my blessings, and not look too hard for them. Some POIs markers popped in when turning my head, but the delay was millisecond brief.

Buzzed downtown Chicago buildings at speed and looked to the side at windows and roofs. No stutter. Impressive. All the formerly usual stutter/flicker triggers did not happen.

I’ve begun slowly reloading the community folder with stuff if I know they work ok or are updates for SU 5. No issues yet. If I find an issue, I’ll pull the offender and wait for an update.

As expected, there are bugs along with the improvements and a few performance compromises as well. I think they compromised well, but yes not all the performance improvement was free of quality impact.

The decision to default mouse mode to the new one was a poor one. Default for PC should have been legacy. Don’t use AI planes, so I didn’t encounter that bug. This legacy FSX code should have been purged a long time ago anyway.

The program lockups with peripheral changes is bad and needs fixing, which will probably come later. But it is avoidable in the meantime. I hope data load times will get better too. Cmon guys, use some of that Xbox moolah to buy a few servers and a fatter pipe, or in today’s world, provision a couple hundred more VMs. Call Jeff if you have to, I’m sure he has a few he can loan you.

Improvements are there, but it feels rushed out the door. I’m sure beta testers found all of this stuff, and they dropped these things below the red gotta-do line, along with DX12, so as not to delay the Xbox gold rush.

Overall, I’m glad for the improvement, but at the same time I have the suspicion that it’s optimized for the (nomex on) low-end Xbox hardware relative to a high end PC. It’s like there’s still a lot of wasted ram, vram, cores, and cycles.

And the max system load menus…cmon guys. I know your power over there in France is all nukes, but we’re on coal over here. Is it too much to ask you to give the planet and our power bills a break?

1 Like

Hi, all,
I have just read all the comments on this topic, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a large number of unhappy simmers.
And there is an absolute plethora of CDT’s and variety of errors, failures, etc.
I have similar issues, (all on the TBM930) but all different to what’s in this thread.
Has anyone here ever seen such an upgrade cause so many varied issues to so many simmers?
I just find it hard to comprehend.

I am flying today on a PC:

1. Why was my controller behaving strangely? All settings are gone. Everything started spinning, spinning and going in the wrong direction. buttons stopped working by default. I had a default profile. The only thing that changed the sensitivity. Yes, I don’t have an Xbox Pad. Was this done intentionally under the control of the Xbox? Everything became different and uncomfortable.
  2. Why has everything changed for the PC? Asobo changed everything in management. Did they spit on PC users?
    Like, thanks for the tests, are our audience now console users?
  3. How do I remove that ■■■■ white dot on screen and when hovering over Garmin? how to remove all this? This is wildly annoying!
  4. How to return control to what it was before the update? nothing helps.
  5. The frame rate has indeed increased significantly. I was very happy until I plugged in the joystick. I have been struggling all day, but I cannot solve the problem.
1 Like

Where do you switch to legacy? I couldn’t find this in the settings menu.

General settings → accessibility → cockpit interactions and switch to legacy.

I have it written there Classic. maybe I need to switch to English

@mafiaz1980 My Pleasure!

Was wondering the exact same thing!

This update has been so great for me… I keep wanting to congratulate the Asobo team but don’t want to become repetitive. So, I’m going to shut up. But just understand that I think this was a great update. I am able to set my LOD to 200 and everything looks beautiful now.

This is a known bug (the altitude bug) and your ATC will show you at one FL but you’ll be at a different FL. Same for those of us who fly VATSIM. Asobo is aware of it.

If it’s a known bug why was this not happening before SU5 ? Why has it resurfaced I didn’t get this at all before update.

Lets update the product we paid for and bring back an old issue. Brilliant.

It’s a known bug re: SU5. It wasn’t present until SU5.

Ok hope they fix it.
Just did a approach into LAX and noticed ATC not speaking anymore but my copilot was replying. FYI

If I turn off live weather I seem to not have the sudden speed / wind changes. FYI. Mayne these observations may help diagnose.

1 Like

Can someone start from Gate 57 at KLAX and tell me if they have a giant bush/shrub that’s right dab in the middle

1 Like

The SU5 graphic is trash, it’s blurry with confusing tone and plastic feeling texture which never happened in SU4. I feel sad now, I really enjoyed the scenery while flying in SU4, but now it’s just torturous :cry: :cry: :cry:

2 Likes

Remember the old ms command line “FDisk C:”?
Well I “F Disked” my entire Rig tonight… something went horribly wrong in my registry… so I erased everything…. Downloaded windows and downloading the entire sim again.

If you tell someone at LAX “Nice Bush” they would probably punch you… :smirk:

2 Likes