First time use, cockpit all scrambled

Hi.

I bought an HP Reverb G2 back in March when HP had them on sale. I didn’t actually try it until today. So I set it up, I had the virtual room and could move around. I then installed the OpenXR Toolkit, and started up MSFS. The VR headset was specifically for MSFS.

Well, I had the main menu. I chose an airport to fly from. I see the runway. And then suddenly, the cockpit splits and the instruments are where the windshield should be. I look down and its all black. I look over, and then another set of cockpit panels is off to the side. Basically, I couldn’t take off like that.

I’m on a laptop with a I9 12900K, 64 gig of DDR5 memory, 4 TB diskspace, and a RTX 3080 TI. I had to unplug the external monitor in order to use the headset (only one DisplayPort), but I do have a TV also plugged into the laptop via an HDMI cable.

Anyone have an idea what I should be checking first as the source of the problem?

Also, since I have my 38 inch monitor plugged into the displayPort adapter, and this laptop has Thunderbolt 4 and a USB C with displayPort (both with PowerShare) does anyone know if I can buy either a USB C or ThunderBolt 4 to DisplayPort adapter and plug the HP Reverb G2 into that and have it work?

• Which plane?
  • Any mods active?

It was just the basic Cessna 152. I have a bunch of mods. If the headset can’t run with mods, I guess I will just stick with the monitor then.

Try loading in to your flight in 2D first, making sure your cockpit looks as you would expect, before you switch to VR. Note your FPS will initially be low and stuttery going into VR this way but it does recover within 30 seconds to a minute.

Hundreds of users with G2, fly without such issues. So it must be something with your system. For the sake of troubleshooting remove all the mods, then (if the issue is gone) try to isolate the mod which gives your trouble. Then either remoeve it or check if there is any update available. I have 184 mods/add-ons in my Community folder, and my G2 works as expected.
You can keep your main display connectd, just buy DisplayPort-HDMI cable.
The headset has massive data transfer requirements, I wouldn’t mess with any adapters for connecting the headset.

Actually, I decided to go with a Thunderbolt 4 docking station. That will give me another DisplayPort 1.4 port on the laptop, as well as more USB ports.

Where did I ever say that? :grin:

Maybe remove everything (including the TV) except the headset to start with, just use the laptop display and the G2. Maybe there’s something about the refresh rate/scan when using TV on HDMI which is messing with the output to the G2?

The G2 couldn’t move the gauges to the windshield no matter what was happening. Only MSFS can do that.

Empty the community folder and run to make sure the issue isn’t MSFS itself. Reinstall if it is.

If the base game is behaving itself, start restoring things to the community folder. I’d do half of your mods the first time. If you have the issue, split that half into quarters to see which quarter your issue is in. Keep using “half-splits” until you track it down.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.