Fix the weather first and foremost

Nice! Well that’s encouraging for us in the US to see it is possible.

Whatever the case, they need to fix it. It’s very concerning that they haven’t mentioned this as a known issue.

Ground winds are inacurrate every time in Europe too… You cannot rely on Live Weather to choose the good runway in use ! Annoying for what is called a flight simulator…

Totally agree this is the main features I wanted out of everything.

Excuse me for the off topic question, guys :slight_smile:
Will this be available for MSFS 2020, in the future?

Not always. I did a couple of flights in the UK yesterday, and the surface winds were very close to the current METAR at EGLL and EGCC. But, that will not always be the case.

I’m pretty sure the Live Weather surface weather comes from MeteoBlue’s predictive forecast model, and not real world METAR observations. Modern forecast models are often quite good at predicting what the weather will be at a given location and time, but they are not perfect.

For example: when a cold front passes over a specific location, the winds normally shift from the southwest to the northwest. Even if the forecast model does accurately predict the existence of the moving cold front at a given location, it might underestimate the speed that the front will move. If it ends up moving through sooner than the model predicts, there will be a definite disparity between the r/w METAR wind and the “predicted” METAR in the simulator.

But before that becomes an issue, Asobo first needs to insure that all components of the Live Weather are available everywhere in the world, not just in some geographic regions (but not others) as is the case now.

So, I guess an outside weather program like FSRealWX couldn’t be configured to work? I’m not a programmer, so don’t beat me up! I guess someone has probably already tried this?

I played around with weather and got it working.

Changed my server to Northern Europe then restarted MSFS.

Then I tested to see if it was a server issue (as stated by many posters previously) by going through random airports around the world and the weather is all different and pretty close to current METARS.

Currentlying flying across Ireland in wet/cloudy/bumpy conditions heading to Isle of Man.

Give it a go!

It is doubtful any existing weather programs would work at the moment. At the very least, they would have to be recompiled by their developers using the MSFS SDK, and targeting the new MSFS version of simconnect.

From what I have read, the SDK documentation for the new simconnect is not yet complete, and I have no idea if the MSFS version will support the same functions to inject weather into the sim environment that the FSX and P3D versions do.

Live weather works as I just stated before. Change server to Northern Europe and restart then fly. Nice! Double rainbows!

Where do you see which server you are connected to? I’ve looked in Options/General/Data and there is no sign, so I guess it must be somewhere else?

Edit: never mind. i found it under my profile, in the top right of the menu screen.

Hello,
Do you mean the ground winds on the world map (in this instance I agree with you) ? Nevertheless, when you jump into an aircraft, you do not get the same winds as those indicated on the ground map…

The key to live weather fully working (or not) does not depend on the server you are connected to. It depends on the geographical location of the airplane in the sim. I am normally connected to the US East server. If I spawn at an airport in the US, I will get clouds, temperature and pressure from the forecast model, but never get any wind.

If I spawn at an airport in the UK (while connected to the US East server), I will get all live weather features, including wind.

I have tested this extensively. I never get live weather wind at a US airport, no matter which server I am connected to. I always get live weather wind at a UK airport, and it works correctly with every server.

3 Likes

And this is completely different for me. I’ve never had real clouds or winds in the US for me regardless of what server I’m on.

Took a flight from Pueblo CO to Scottsdale AZ where heavy clouds had been all day. It was clear skies on my flight.

I was just asking for how I could see which server I was connected to, out of general interest, but if it’s given you a chance to get that off your chest, then all’s good. :slight_smile:

In the US, I almost always get clouds IF the forecast calls for them, but I never ever get wind in the US. At European airports, I get all the live weather ingedients, including winds.

But to insure you get live weather it is essential that you do not change your aircraft or airport once you have fully loaded into a scenario. If you load at an airport, then back out and move to a different airport, live weather will stop working. The only way to change to a different aircraft or airport and still get live weather is to exit the sim completely and start fresh.

The classic symptoms that live weather is not working (even when selected) are: no clouds (when clouds are expected), no wind, pressure 29.92 and temperature 15C on the ground.

Now, it is occasionally possible for the real weather at a real airport to actually be no clouds, no wind, 29.92 and 15C, but more often than not this is a sign that live weather injection is not working at all.

Can we please seriously get this post pinned on the main page so the developers see it every time they ever wander here? I’m getting so tired of flying in the US without wind. The atmosphere feels dead despite all of the beautiful volumetric clouds.

This NEEDED to be fixed before release. There is no excuse anymore. Get it done Asobo/Meteoblue.

3 Likes

As I’ve already shared at this other topic, this has even happend to CptCanada and FlightDeck2Sim in front of 1K viewers each, and the issue is not even at the Known Issues list. I’m sick of restarting the sim, but only for my departure weather, as it does not seem I’m getting updates during the flight.

1 Like

I like the snow.
You can use a slider to adjust coverage and not have to have precipitation !

First time ever.

Oh I know. I fire up the sim, keep the aircraft the same, make sure weather is set to live, and start at my airport. It’s been clear skies everytime, maybe the occasional cloud.

It’s just straight up broke.