[FIXED 1.13.17.0] World Update 3 has broken flight dynamics, exhibit A

Caravans are often used for short dodgy grass strips in places like New Guinea and have pretty good STOL characteristics, they are definitely not "floaters’, unlike this sim atm. :grin:

It’s not as bad, but it is there.

I’ve just been flying the Seminole, and it’s affected too. I tend to find I need to approach at much shallower angles now.

I just did a flight with the Working Title CJ4 mod. This mod was 100% fine pre-patch. I did two flights yesterday and they were fine, however, I just did a flight and when landing I had to hold my stick ALL the way forward and if I let it go, even as low as 20kts, it was still trying to take back off.

This needs to be fixed immediately.

2 Likes

I just did a flight in the King Air (which already had somewhat questionable flight characteristics) and it was almost impossible to land. When I finally did get on the ground, it spun around and I ended up sideways well off the side of the runway. It’s almost unbelievable that this was allowed into a public update.

The thing I’ve found interesting is that the taildraggers weren’t really different in my experience.

I had this with the A32nx before the update, but no other planes (tried TBM and taildraggers too).

1 Like

At every update it is such a bugfest since publix release.
And now they simply broke it. I could live for a bit with the taxiway lighta all over the place, with the enitre alps covered in white including roads, with the freezing glass at ground level, but This is a seriously braking regression.
I think a case study should be done in what it seems to be one of the worst release management processes I’ve ever seen, both as a user but also this is my impression as a professional software developer.
I just can’t believe that such scholastic and almost infantile, puerile mistakes are being repeated at every product iteration by a company releasing a product under the Microsoft umbrella.
This whole thing, from the initial release, to the download process, to the update management process from the marketplace, to the ever braking regressions at every single update release and the many other snafus qualifies this product as possibly the most bug ridden software product I’ve ever used…and no action point is ever taken. The same comedy is repeated at every.single.release.
The only thing that come close, to my memory, are windows vista and windows ME. And the pentium 75/100 with the division bug.
I really regret having bought this product but will use it professionally as a showcase and case study as the best example of terrible release management, QA and QC (not to mention the coding which, at this point, I believe has gone out of control. I understand that the pandemic has caused many troubles as it does for me, but this is a smell of something in the process that went completely wrong)
You’ve earned an achievement.

10 Likes

Honestly I think they released too early (Microsoft probably wanted/needed it released), and have had to rush timelines since then. That’s my guess on what happened.

Asobo is up to the task, I guarantee that.

Well, there is SOME real-world precedent, but only when emergencies force you to come in hot to keep flying at all, and then you have stop really soon after touchdown so need to get the brakes working ASAP. Still, doing this in MSFS as a normal thing right now, to work around the excessive float, kinda qualifies as an emergency.

Just be mindful of anther key point to this recent bungling of flight models: the extreme nose-down pitch when you retract flaps. So, you’ll want to flare a lot more than before while you’re doing this, to prevent 1-point landings and prop-strikes.

1 Like

Tonight was the first time that I went to click on the MSFS icon on my desktop and decided not to. I’ve been totally addicted to flying about and exploring the World recently, but this last update has really put me off - it’s a time commitment for most of us… so when things go wonky, then I think it’s time to sit it out for a bit and do something more worthwhile (I played Partisans 1941 instead and had a good time). I’m sad to feel this way, but it’s not worth getting wound up about I guess.

I can deal with most of the little bugs but flying the previous couple of days in the Mooney and Caravan the flying seemed a bit ‘arcadey’ to me somehow. (I’m not a pilot - been flying in sims forever but I wouldn’t see myself as an expert at all) Perhaps I’ll go back to the Bonanza next time and see how that goes - sounds like it might have escaped the strangeness?

[sigh] :expressionless:

1 Like

Well, everybody needs a change of routine now and again and, if you think now’s your time, then good for you.

However, I’m not at that point in my life and don’t find the recent mess particularly troubling. Sure, it’s broken, but it’s pretty easy to work around. To me, it’s just adaptation but I come from a combat sim background so am quite used to having parts of my plane shot off, malfunctioning, and/or burning. That’s just par for the course when you let folks shoot at you. The point is, FLY THE AIRPLANE, which means doing whatever it takes in light of present circumstances.

So, I just look at this as a challenge. Fly the airplane. It can still be done and I quickly figured out how. I don’t worry about whether it’s right or wrong. I just pretend I’m working around some malfunction or battle damage and go with it. Thus, I see no reason to get all pouty about it. MS/Asobo is now quite aware of the problem and are doubtless working on it as we speak. In the meantime, you can still fly just fine.

4 Likes

True, also Combat sims tend to prioritise “game balance” and “player expectations” over realism. The balance is sometimes achieved by making rare prototypes available to the other side or providing non historical high octane fuel etc. The “player expectations” thing is tricky because what do you do when people expect the P51 or Spitfire IX to simultaneously out turn an A6m, outgun a fw190a8 with 30mm gun pods, have a similiar top speed to a 262 and climb better than a Bearcat because they “saw it in a Movie” .

1 Like

Their devops model is Agile on Steroids. Worst thing to happen to development from a consumers standpoint in my eyes.

Agile is absolutely 100% the dumbest way to build anything if a level of quality above a bin fire is a goal. If you’re trying to build just to deliver something, anything, in the shortest time possible, at the lowest possible cost, to meet contract and/or cost requirements—it’s perfect!

1 Like

Doesn’t every aircraft have laminar flow wings? That is the intend at least…

Nope, very few aircraft are laminar flow. My limited understanding is it is hard to achieve without compromising strength (the wing needs to be thin) and is expensive to manufacture (among other things flush rivets). Also laminar flow wings need to be kept relatively clean and bug free, are more prone to instability and only work well at particular angles of attack. They are suited to aircraft needing efficient high speed cruise and not suited to something like a bush plane.

Airbus have been experimenting with laminar Flow for the next generation of airliners:

Flew the Mooney back and forth on a 100 nm trip to check it out. AP works as it should, takeoff is accelerated, as is initial climb out. Directional stability on the takeoff roll and on the rollout after landing is very good to excellent. Both landings were flown “by the book” and both were done by hand, after initial capture of the localizer. ILS capture was without issue; both landings were very smooth and quite satisfactory.

The conclusion is, the Carenado Mooney flies without adverse effects other than the exaggerated acceleration and climb performance.

I plan on checking out the TBM on a cross-country flight tomorrow. Will submit a PIREP.

Cheers!

1 Like

And for me too. TBM is now usable and landable again with flaps. Thanks!

1 Like

Love the 208, fly it in Papua NG but since the upgrade have the same problem with ridiculous stall speeds and inability to stop. I will have to wait until it is fixed before I can use it again!

The problem is not only Flaps and ground effect.
There is something wrong about aircraft stability.
at least C152 / C172 fly like RC plane with no mass and no smooth changes between nose positions

please give us the previous flight dynamics and also let us edit at least flight_model.cfg file of premium airctafts

Weird definition though, when an airfoil is unstalled the flow is considered to be laminar (maybe not 100% laminar everywhere but not turbulent either). So its an “extra laminar flow wing” :sweat_smile::joy:. I would assume it to act more like a jet in that case, very shallow CL / alpha curve with indeed low induced drag and less ground effect…