[FIXED 1.13.17.0] World Update 3 has broken flight dynamics, exhibit A

And then as always
try, try, try
with every change you make

Place the community-flap-hotfix folder in *Packages\Community*

1 Like

Not checked the 801 replies to this thread so I don’t know if this has been asked
With the “workaround” how are you able to implement this on the SR22? All of the files are encrypted and I can’t find a flight model file anywhere? Would appreciate any help at all :slightly_smiling_face: TIA

I can’t help on this
maybe it depends on the type of installation
I have the game downloaded on Steam and can see everything
hope someone can help you

I will take at face value the stated reason it wasn’t seen was that QA was not looking for this type of change and therefore it wasn’t seen before release.

However that doesnt excuse the fact that it got in there in the first place (Development process allowing anything to go in without a discussion on how it might effect the whole game) and the QA process not having a simple flying check and saying “Hey this is different” (Its possible they did and was told its ok for release but thats not how it was stated publicly). I could tell first flight something had drastically changed flaps wise and not in a good way. As this is now happened with almost every patch I am at a loss on how the project process has not improved for these updates. I can see this happening once but you have post mordems - you discuss what went wrong and you improve…that doesnt seem to be the case here.

2 Likes

We released a hotfix for the A32NX mod shortly after the UK Update came out, well before Asobo announced the issue.

5 Likes

King Air is practically unlandable, it just won’t slow down, it’s mainly during appraoch you notice it, but take offs are automatic, no need to rotate.

I believe you are correct. Flap settings listed as the only issue is misleading and - to be bold - patently false, if my own flights post-update are any indication. The aircraft I’ve tried so far accelerate at a faster rate and climb performance is superior. In all but one instance (with the TBM) takeoffs have been entirely without the use of flaps. The TBM actually feels worse than before with relation to climb out. More testing is required, because the software crashed to desktop fifteen minutes after takeoff yesterday, and again ten minutes after takeoff this morning.

I performed a RESET from the Apps section in Win 10, which deletes all locally installed files. I am in the process of reinstalling this afternoon; we’ll see if that solves the CTD events I’ve experienced post-update.

With this software, patience is a virtue.

1 Like

Got it - just placed the folder there and it seems to be working!

Does anyone know where to find this flight_model.cfg in a Steam installation?

In my case, for the C208, it’s in here:

C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Official\Steam\asobo-aircraft-208b-grand-caravan-ex\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_208B_GRAND_CARAVAN_EX

You should find it for the other aircraft too in the folder:

C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Official\Steam

Personally, I’m not touching the files in the standard package at all.

If anything, I’d use a mod that has the fix included (I think the C208 improvement mod has it already).

2 Likes

Use the flightsim.to community folder one I’d say, not worth manually modifying

3 Likes

You can’t apply fix to encrypted planes.

1 Like

I think the guys here need to get an update out ASAP for everyone. We should not be expected to go under the hood to fix a problem that makes this SIM not work.

2 Likes

Yes that does sound like the best idea until a real fix comes. Thanks for reminding. This thread is a bit large, maybe the community fix should be more prominent somewhere.

So would you be happy to install a mod that made a working plane better?

I hope it gets fixed long before the next update…

2 Likes

Software engineering is an incredibly complex field with so many variables. There is not a single company in the world that has released a “bug free” product, no matter what their budget or skill level is. Look at examples from NASA, Boeing, Apple, Microsoft, Google and many others.

I’m not making excuses or defending, but that is just the reality. And I’m sure working from home for this particular field - which requires a lot of face to face collaboration and taps on the shoulder - has not made things easier at all.

Speaking as someone who did a lot of programming throughout my childhood, teens and early adulthood for university. Don’t touch it anymore.

1 Like

Do I expect it to be completely bug free? No. Of
course not. That’s unrealistic. What I do expect however is some sort of professionalism from an AAA company.

2 Likes

But they have a change to the flaps behavior in the changlog for the update. So if they were changing part of the flaps code, wouldn’t that result in testing it, and catching this error?

Are the just changing things willy nilly without testing them? Probably based on our customer experience so far.

Are the testers being provided with test cases with sufficient detail to test the flight model? Probably not.

1 Like