Fixed crashes by reverting Nvidia drivers!

After reverting from the 511 drivers to the 497.29 drivers, the sim is now stable again. Try this first, before throwing money and time trying to fix your issues!

Moved to Self-Service, PC & Hardware.

That is strange,Ive got the 511 drivers and have done over 14 hours without a single problem.

Just trying to save people some headaches, a driver change is far easier than throwing money and time at god knows what to try and fix crashes. This is what worked for me and my set up, what works for others may be entirely different. Glad you are not having problems, many other people are.

It would be good to know for other users if you have HAGS turned off or on and if you are using DX11 or 12.

In the version you reverted to, 497.29 I believe was the last “stable” version for the majority with HAGS on. After that, turning it off seemed to be a solution that worked for most.

As for DX12 it’s hit and miss.

1 Like

I’ve rolled back to 497.09, which weirdly was the driver that seemed to give a lot of grief to others but was really stable for me. It was definitely the best driver for VR I’ve ever had. I’ll stick with it until I know for sure there’s a better and stable driver available.

RTX3080
5600X

1 Like

I’ve had bother with 511 too, solution for me was to use the studio version that doesn’t seem to have all of the bloat.

2 Likes

511 and all with 500 make CTD for me (HAGS on/off) (WIN10), I am back to 497.29 and it stable.

2 Likes

I honestly think the Nvidia drivers are the root of much evil. It’s not helped by the sim being a moving feast, but I have the best stability using the drivers that come through windows update tbh.

2 Likes

Msfs2020 is so sensitive with the engine that every little change will cause ctd. They have to get better there. Normally Microsoft should really do more to solve this problem. When the Asobo developers say they don’t know why there are so many CTDs, that doesn’t reflect well. CTD is the maximum problem in the simulator.

1 Like

I was running 471.96 for the longest time because i got good performance in VR. Update last Nov and things went to hell so I reverted back. Then I tried 511.23 and actually saw even better performance. When 511.65 came out, tried that and slight stutters reappeared, so back to 511.23.

1 Like

I don’t know what HAGS is, using DX11.

Yeah I found that the newest driver are causing my CTDs, so reverted back to 497.29. I have not tried out the studio version. but as soon as I update the drivers the CTDs come back.

My specs are:

Intel Core i7-9700F CPU @ 3.00GHz
DDR4 RAM 32.0 GB (30.2 GB usable)
Windows 11 (64 Bit)
RTX 2070.

I also found my XMP profile in the bios was not helping and any GPU overclock settings in afterburner was also making things worse so I disabled them.

1 Like

OC on a video card is really completely useless. For the few frames you get you introduce the potential for lots of instability. CPU over clocks on the other hand, when properly done, are worth it IMO. I run an over clocked i7-8700K at 4.7Ghz, XMP at 3200Mhz, NO issues EVER with any program. And that is still the case, since it is clearly the latest drivers causing issues on some systems. Still running a GTX1070Ti by the way.

Unfortunately my CPU can’t be overclocked it only has a boost from 3.00GHz to 4.70GHz through the XMP profile settings.