Fixed live weather refering to AMSL instead of AGL

According to you, is the line mentioned in this thread title is:
  • Fixed
  • Partially Fixed
  • Not Fixed
  • Cannot test

0 voters

Using the following template in your replies will also help us getting some more information on your tests! Thank you for your help:

:green_circle: Required

Have you used Developer Mode?

PC Specs:

Aircraft:

Area of the World / Flight Plan:

Airport (If applicable):

Feedback/Bug Description:

:yellow_circle: Optional

[ ] Multiplayer session or [ ] solo flight

Multiplayer settings: [ ] Live Players [ ] All Players [ ] Group Only

Weather settings:

3rd party addons you were using at the time:

Server: [ ] East USA [ ] North Europe [ ] West USA [ ] West Europe [ ] SE Asia

Peripherals:

[quote=“OlieTsubasa443, post:1, topic:479293”]
Have you used Developer Mode?
No

PC Specs:
i9-10900k, rtx3080, 64GB RAM

Aircraft:
CRJ

Area of the World / Flight Plan:
KIPT

Airport (If applicable):

KIPT

Feedback/Bug Description:
Please see screenshots - you will notice that the Weather says OVC 5500 and there are 2 issues

1. It’s not OVC.
  2. The bases were closer to 3k MSL vs. 6k MSL (5500 ft AGL from Airport Elevation).

1 Like

Somebody else mentioned this in another thread, but does Asobo know that OVC034 means overcast at 3,400 ft rather than 340 ft?! I can hardly imagine that they don’t know but I still see clouds on the ground in SU7 U.

1 Like

I’m compiling a collection of tests for cloud heights in this thread:

1 Like

Can anyone from MS/Asobo comment on the live weather outage/not working – this seems to happen every night around 6pm CST, per several others confirming as well.

Whilst the AMSL v AGL bug looks to be fixed, I think there’s much more going on here with the live weather. I will summarise the points below from the past days of testing and hope we can get some fixes for it:

• Clouds - types, density, height & coverage: It seems the sim still can’t properly render overcast in a lot of situations, especially when very low such as OVC500ft or below, often it is just not depicted at all, or the coverage is not overcast. Also cloud heights still tend to be mostly incorrect, often by thousands of feet too high. In regards to ‘types’, there is just way too much towering cumulus, sometimes it is absolutely everywhere you look at multiple locations when it should not be.

• meteoblue data - It feels often that the meteoblue data for clouds is simply missing, or not being drawn correctly into the sim. Sometimes for example the world map shows accurate cloud coverage, but then it is non-existent in the sim. I’ve seen that today especially, something just seems totally wrong.

@OlieTsubasa443 I hope you can feedback this to the dev team for us :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also please see this thread:

Again whilst the AGLvMSL may mean we don’t have clouds at ground level anymore, something else seems to be at play here

2 Likes

Yes, I think we could call this partially fixed at the moment. No clouds on the ground anymore, but the floor of the lowest level clouds in sim are still clearly too low compared to METAR, and increasingly so the higher the lowest level clouds are. Possibly the drawing level of the clouds is based always on standard BARO?

2 Likes

Just want to go over METAR speak. One good one is that TEMPO can apply to any variable. Right now EGLL has BKN011 and at the end there is TEMPO SCT011.

EGLL 140550Z AUTO 20005KT 9999 BKN011 10/08 Q1025 TEMPO SCT011

Here is another great remark in METAR: VIRGA. This is the coolest feature flight simulator has with the weather are those correct rainbands and virga.

The last and most important other remark in METAR is WS or WSHFT. The wind shear remark can then override the METAR wind creating layers of different wind directions.

Yes, we all know clouds are always reported as AGL from the weather station location. I think the location elevation of the Metroblue weather station location may be different from the METAR station.

Last, I will post this legend just for review. Basically, in almost every case a remark in the other section will override something from a normal METAR reading.

METAR/TAF Abbreviations (moratech.com)

EDIT. I found one more example. I think things like runway visibility are a little beyond what MSFS would want to accomplish but maybe not.

ESDF 140620Z 18003KT 0500 R01/0550V1000N R19/0600N -RA FG VV002 05/05 Q1017

This METAR has an N. You have to dive a little deeper to figure that one out. I found it means Night or North. MSFS can disregard those runway visibility remarks. Instead using the 0500 visibility and the VV002 statement to create a layer of fog to whatever height makes the vertical visibility 200 feet and visibility under this fog layer 500m. In the USA, they use SM for visibility, but they might not for the RVR, I’m not sure if its feet or meters.

Bottom line, so much extra detail. The VV, FG, -RA are all that’s needed. And this METAR is missing a cloud level statement because they can only see up in the sky 200 feet I guess.

Testing EGKK right now, I am seeing a lot of cloud at ground level and also rising out of the ground. At first I thought it was rain shafts but it is indeed just cloud:

1 Like

And another example, clouds at ground level and rising up out of the ground:

1 Like

And again now 16/12/2021:

1 Like

I also ran into clouds extending to ground level near Lincoln, California (KLHM) this evening with live weather. I used the drone to explore the area, and I saw this east of the airport:

1 Like

Hello,

from my 4-5 flights from yesterday first Beta 21.18. version installed, I can say due different 2 days with different locations, weather and time, all what I’ve tested was +/- ok. Checked in TBM with Radar altimeter.

That sounds suspiciously like a CRON job on Linux or scheduled task (whatever windows calls it) running at midnight UTC.

Probably some batch job server side to do with weather models that breaks weather when it runs.

1 Like

Not sure if this is related to AMSL/AGL bug, but I am still seeing clouds at wrong heights quite consistently across the game.

See here Dublin this morning reporting a broken layer of 6,000ft, but I entered the base of it at around 2,000ft, so 4,000ft too low.