[fixed]Msfs will not start anymore

Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Microsoft Store

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
NO

Brief description of the issue:
My msfs was completey updated and today I did several flights in sequence without any problem.
After the last flight, I wanted to close the simulator, but I got a persistent BLACK screen with completely nothing on it. This screen stayed for long time, so that I decided to cancel msfs using the windows task-manager.

From this moment, every time I try to start msfs, it only opens a microsoft store window with the microsoft gaming-service after half of a second.

I donā€™t know why. This canā€™t be related to an update, bc I canā€™t imagine they do an update on december 31th.

I did A LOT OF attempts to fix the problem.
I did everything from

nothing helps.
What could I do to get this working again?
I donā€™t have much fun to reinstall the msfs or even windows from scratch, because this makes me A LOT of effort to install and configure all that stuff again.

Imho it cant be a big deal to fix that, because the sim was running nice before the BLACK SCREEN.

What exactly causes msfs to call the gaming service in the store?

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs and/or peripheral set up of relevant:
does not matter imho

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
latest verion up to now (01.01.2021)

Do you have a Restore Point prior to this event ? and if so please use it.
Hope you solve this issue soon and ensure a most Happy New Year.

Not sure what part (or all) of the recommendations for each of the links you listed you actually tried. On the second link you showed, did you get down to the paragraph on reinstalling gaming services? If not, give it a try. If so, disregard everything after ā€œhelloā€. :grinning:
Regards

Try running Repair from Windows Apps in Settings.

Itā€™s hit or miss but Iā€™ve had good luck half the time letting Windows repair the files.

Youā€˜ll probably have to look close. When it opens the store, is there any error code listed at the top?

Maybe a code with a 26 at the end?

Happy New Year guys and thanks for your help!

I already did a reinstall of the gaming-services.
But this didnā€™t changed anything.

And when I try to start msfs, I donā€™t get any error message.
It simply opens the gaming-service panel in the msfs store.

Imho I have two options now:
1: Rename the complete msfs folder (where community and official is in).
Then reinstall msfs and link it with the renamed folder. So I probably donā€™t have to redownload hundreds of gigabytes again.
2: I have a full backup of my C: drive. I could restore that and hope, this helps. But this can mess up my complete Windows installation I guess.

How much space is left on your hard disks? I am wondering if deleting your ROLLING CACHE and perhaps making it smaller would help.

I had the same problem, now everything is back to normal

theres more than 85GB free on this volume.

I got it fixed now, with following procedure:

1. Rename MSFS-folder (where COMMUNITY and OFFICIAL is in)
  2. Deinstall MSFS with System configuration APPS
  3. Rename folder of #1 back to normal
  4. Install MSFS from MS-Store using XBOX App
  5. When MSFS starts and scans for updates, it asks for a path. Then point here to the folder of #3

Thats is. This needs about 15 minute, no need to redownload 100GB and all of the MODS.
But I had to fix some settings after that.

3 Likes

hello! i have tried doing what you did, but it doesnt work. Whenever I open MSFS it loads a bit but then the screen tab gets black and stops loading and crashes, what should i do? it doesnt start

Have you tried different 3D games? Are they running nicely?
If not, maybe your graphics card or the driver could have a problem!