Flare and idle or other way around

Quick question?
Flare and idle? Or idle and flare?
Which one to perform?

1 Like

Both at the same time. At least that’s how I learned it (not rated, but had some small flight training). You pull throttle back in a steady motion, and meanwhile you start pulling back on the yoke

Depends on the aircraft. Some aircraft you have to fly all the way to the ground, or they will drop and bounce. Others, you flare, reduce power, and hold nose on the horizon until it settles to the runway.

4 Likes

flare and idle at the same time is my way to go with all planes :sweat_smile:

In the A320, the PFD starts flashing “Flare” probably a couple seconds before the Retard voice sounds.

Rated pilot here. The correct answer is: it depends.

What aircraft?

5 Likes

My experience with the A320neo: Idle at 50ft callout, otherwise the plane floats over half of the runway. In reality it is different since the plane settles itself down much quicker.

Have you taken the tutorial in MSFS? Very helpful and lots of practice!

IRL, if you think about it, gliders have no choice with no power when landing. So… essentially the aircraft becomes a “heavy glider” if the throttle is cut crossing the threshold. Using the throttle while flaring takes a LOT of coordination and LOTS of practice.

I didnt know there was a tutorial. Where?

Mostly a320nx

Thanks all for youre replies. Will try all the advice.

I’m using the Custom FBW, it seems to have fixed a lot of that.

The tutorial entrance is on the same main page as the World Map. There is on set for the C152 and another for the A320. I recommend starting with the C152.

2 Likes

Me too but the problem still persists (but its better than with the default A320).

1 Like

Some planes become a “brick” when cutting the power. Gliders have often ten times the glide ratio of powered planes. It even differs among model years. It really does depend on the plane. That said, I know jack about the A320. With the 152, cut the power at 50 feet AGL, you’ll be fine.

20 year sim pilot here. It depends on the planes. If you cut the power on an Airbus 340 before landing you will crash. If you dont cut the power on a cessna 152 in any kind of wind you will float the whole runway. You will hear pilots of certain planes say “you have to fly onto the runway” and some say “you have to cut and flare onto the runway”. Just watch real videos of landings of your favorite planes. The older MSFS sims tried to match real life performance. When we get the third party study level planes they will respond like the real life planes.

Unfortunately not one easy answer as others have noted, and it depends on the aircraft, and, potentially other factors. On one hand, it’s all about energy management. Let’s look at what you are trying to do however. In primary training, you are taught to get the plane to stop flying by losing all of the built up energy at a specific point over the runway. In early trainers, that involved being taught a “full stall” landing where power was fully at idle and you were holding the controls in your gut as the plane gently stalled onto the runway. Textbook, yet not always the right technique. Do that too early, and you literally drop onto the runway. Not enough and you “slam” it on with little to no flare and the danger of a nose-first landing.

On final, you are maintaining some degree of power to manage your energy. I’ll avoid the pitch / power discussion here. over the “fence” or numbers you begin a transition where you begin reducing the power, which will create a sink, and raising the nose, which will serve to arrest the sink AND reduce your speed. From here, it becomes a balancing act. that may require adjustments to either pitch or power. this works for many GA aircraft, with varying degrees, but airliners can be quite a bit different.

The general rule is you need to manage your energy well in whatever you are landing to avoid:

1. Landing too short
  2. Landing too long
  3. Landing too hard and bouncing

All of these are actually more the result of setting up the approach where you properly managed energy the whole way down. mis-manage the energy, and one of the three above will usually be the result. Getting the plane on the ground will of course then require the reduction of power and management of pitch attitude to hit your intended target on the runway, vs just landing.

Advise for sim airliner pilots - Get good landing the C152 or C172 first. The techniques for landing an airliner like the A320 build on these but also know that a properly simulated A320 does not land like a traditional airliner, or trainer aircraft and what you learn landing an A320 for instance is not “backward compatible” to a trainer aircraft.

This has been said in various ways in this thread: I like to compare the correct approach (pun intended) to making a good landing to driving a car in various environments. Different cars have characteristics, on different surfaces and in different conditions. Landing an airplane is no different. There is no “one size fits all” but I suggest concentrating less on things like flare and power, and more on “flying by the book.” If you can, find a Pilot’s Operating Handbook for the aircraft you’re interested in and learn the proper approach speed at various flap settings (and without flaps.) This will get you close to the correct angle-of-attack and sink rate. Each plane is different. Each landing is different, even in the same aircraft. Wind speed, wind angle off the active runway, temperature, altitude, landing weight, center of gravity, proper trim… there are so many factors to consider. It all starts with setting up a good approach, going through the landing checklist, and “flying by the numbers.” If you’ve done all of that correctly, then all you’ll need to worry about are the things you cannot control like crosswind and speed, and thermals on a hot day. :slight_smile:

It’s really fun to try to “grease on” a landing and make a perfect rollout before you hit the last taxiway. The plane I like the absolute best right at the moment is the PA-44 Seminole. If you set it up right, you can “grease it on” just about every time. She’s a sweetheart to fly, even on a hot and bouncy day!

I can’t find any evidence of Flight Training for the A320 in game. The Content Manager shows the 8 152 Lessons, but nothing else. Is this actually a thing?

There is no in sim training for specific aircraft, other than you mentioned.