Flight Model: Elasticity

I am not quite sure how to interprete those elasticity tables.

It is described as:

Now define what how much of the control you want to be applied to the ailerons, depending on the speed of the aircraft. This is a table, that defines the ratio of aileron control depending on the amount of dynamic air pressure.

with an example:

aileron_elasticity_table = 0:1, 25:1, 50:0.75, 75:0.5, 100:0.33

So what are those parameters actually about? First I thought you can modify how effective control surfaces are in relation to certain dynamic air pressure. But in that case the effectiveness should rise with higher pressure.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

thx!

Hi!

You are right, the effectiveness of the (air) rudder does rise with higher dynamic air pressure.
So for me the ‘elasticity’ seems to achive that with higher speed same control inputs lead to less rudder angle as the rudders are more effective with higher speed.
So the ratio in the table is something like (relative dynamic air pressure):(relative rudder angle)

Kind regards

1 Like

The only physical explanation I could come up with is the effect of control cables stretching due to dynamic pressure increase, but it’s way too approximate. So far it looks like a patch for that vaunted Windtunnel Normalization™ inability to correctly estimate the control surfaces effectiveness.

@mods I’ve inadvertantly put this in the wrong sub, could you move it to the SDK forum? thx

thx for the answers so far. Maybe someone has more knowledge about it?

Hey there,
This post from last August got bumped by our topic bumper in Wishlist. I don’t know if you still need it or not, but here it is.
For future reference, every user is empowered to move their own posts by clicking the pencil icon on their top post.