Flight Planner Still Fly's us into mountains

Two years later and it still fly’s us into mountains

Flies… haha. And are you setting your altimeter correctly?

Aviate, Navigate, Communicate! :slight_smile:

All kidding aside though, ATC has tried to kill me SO many times in MSFS. I’ve got everything set up to make the jump to VATSIM. Just need to make that first flight.

1 Like

Yeap, and ATC also routes you directly into the rocks many times. On the other hand it also sends you to FL180 and then back to 4000ft one minute later (those are the days when ATC risk manager is in command).

Cheers

Hey there, @meh1951. I certainly understand how frustrating that can be. I moved your post here to the #self-service:atc-traffic-navaids category where these subjects are discussed. Also added a couple tag to help with searchability. Hoping for some improvements in upcoming updates. In the meantime, keep your :eyes: open!

2 Likes

I check the maps/charts before hand to make sure FS is telling the truth, and the routing is not going to take me in to the mountain!
Took off from Paro yesterday for ZULS and the routing tried but failed to take me in to the nearest mountain as I flew manually until I got clear. :rofl:

As long as the flight plan uses published SIDs, STARs, approaches, high or low altitude airways, ATC won’t fly you into any mountains. The problem is with direct vectors by ATC. MSFS doesn’t contain the Minimum Vectoring Altitudes.

This is similar to using the Direct function in a GPS. The GPS direct vector may not provide obstacle clearance. Published IFR charts contain “off route obstruction clearance altitudes” for map quadrangles. Unfortunately, MSFS does not provide these charts. Also, MSFS does not contain ODPs, Obstacle Departure Procedures. These published directions (similar to missed approach directions) contain vital information not in the SIDs.

In other words, like so many other things in life, Trust but Verify