FlyByWire A32NX developer complaining about the sad state of the developer / third-party experience

Not to mention a high percentage of the “testers” knew zero about aerodynamics/atmosphere/meteorology/aviation/fundamental flight dynamics/ They were “youtubers” with subscribers. Would’ve had better luck pissing into the wind. They need to limit their planes down to just 5 (and use testers who are into aviation, instead of people who just want to look at something outside the window) and make those 5 planes perfect and then continue onto the next, instead of having 35 planes that don’t work properly. It sucks that they disallow creation of content from people who can create a better experience for free as a hobby than a person who is getting paid to work on the game. I still have faith that when the payware aircraft come out that Microsoft can stay right away from the planes and more on the sim. I love FSX and MSFS2020 but its just a shame.

27 Likes

hahaha so true… :mask:

1 Like

Words of wisdom, my friend! I just hope 3rd party devs don’t take advantage of the situation and inflate prices when the time for salvation comes (I’m looking at you PMDG)

5 Likes

Man if only you had access to the beta forum to see the conversations. We had software devs, pilots of all types, CFI’s, engineers, I think we actually had a couple legit meteorologists. Some of the conversations were exceptionally technical and in depth. A couple of us spent a week documenting and fixing an issue that basically plagued the community for an entire update cycle. Nothing that you see is because the testing base wasn’t qualified, missed, or didn’t report something. It was all communicated via zendesk and the forum. What happened to it from there is beyond me.

37 Likes

I’m curious what you think the development cost for a PMDG plane is and what their margins are?

1 Like

I can only speculate about such thing, but their current prices are fair and I’m happy to continue making business with them when the 737NG3 gets released, if prices are similar to their store and competition.

I mean, they’ve already said they’re anticipating it being 139.99. Is there something you’re worried about causing that to change? I think they’d have a hard time not pissing people off considering they’ve already announced speculative pricing.

This and I don’t remember seeing any direct response from developers to anything during the beta phase. It was all communicated through weekly updates.

1 Like

I didn’t know about the pricing, that sounds fair to me. Count me in :wink:

1 Like

FlyByWire has made a great work it’s deserve respect, My support totally to this group

11 Likes

Granted, its an old number from the end of 2019 but its still a number (they may have reiterated it more recently but idk). I could see that number floating a little bit, especially since the sdk and them don’t seem to be getting along very well right now, but I don’t see them being able to get away any giant hikes.

I’ve been developing an add-on for the past two weeks. Development has been extremely painful but its to be expected so early on in release. However, the latest release seems to have broken addons altogether? My addon no longer loads into the game. Its also the wrong ‘live’ time in the game, and finally, the new active pause button they added to the toolbar looks like a last second addition. It can’t even be hid. Seems like a bad update.

EDIT: Time and add-on problem were my own. For some reason my PC system clock broke.

1 Like

I second this for the 787, beautifully modeled flight deck. Best looking 787 I’ve seen yet, way better then Quality wings

1 Like

Lol! That sums it up. It seems a large part of the flight sim community hasn’t been involved in the overall gaming scene for some time. This type of releasing unfinished were the growing pains the AAA gaming industry already went through years ago. It was the stuff that gave EA and Ubisoft bad reps years ago. This is how the phrase “day one patch” came into being.
My theory is still that big daddy MS told Asobo their time was up just get it out the door. Happened to other games, it likely happened here

7 Likes

Some of us are real pilots, I am a PPL holder, and have sent numerous bug reports to the Zendesk… if they take them on board, well, that is the question.

1 Like

sums up the entirety of of their post well

3 Likes

PMDG take advantage of this situation…never!!!

1 Like

Do you have any constructive criticism of my post ?

2 Likes

I can imagine its frustrating with the tools currently available and changes in the patch but Asobo can’t make everyone happy and give everyone the attention they feel they need.

They didn’t give anything to testers, maybe we shouldn’t have expected it but something was hinted at. As a tester I feel i did my best to report bugs and advise on fixes. Now we seem to be being blamed for the shortcomings in the sim which we tried to get fixed etc, not a great experience to be honest…

6 Likes