Flying Round The World in a C208 - Monty's Trip

Love it! You going to go down to South America? @BlahPrawn296436

Looks awesome.

Congrats on the CPL and the multi rating. I haven’t done much sim flying lately, busy summer. The little bit I have been doing has been in the Caribbean and Norway.

I’m waiting for Simworks to release the Quest Kodiak before I continue my trip around the world. Our company just bought one and it’s an awesome little airplane. Hoping to get checked out on it. Be a refreshing change from the jets.

Stay safe everyone.

Hey there, glad I found this post! Just started a 208 world tour myself and was wondering if you had some advice you could offer. I’m not getting nearly the implied range from the standard 208, even when using the POH recommended flight settings. If you’ve got any insights or advice to share on the trip in general I’m all ears. Thanks

1 Like

Amazing @shootsome1else ! Glad you’re doing this too! I’m currently in Spain in MSFS and about to turn south to Africa! I have switched between a few planes throughout the trip. I was doing some real world flying on the Piper Seminole and the DA62 and so I used them in the sim, but the C208 is great and I will be going back to it for the African bush strips!

Sorry if some of the below you already know!

For the plane. Definitely use the improvement mod C208, not the default. Cessna 208B Grand Caravan EX Improvement Mod » Microsoft Flight Simulator Also, make sure to uninstall any G1000 mod you may have in your community folder and download the working title G1000 directly from the in sim market place (it’s free).

For the flying, I would pick how much time you want/have to fly that day, which direction you want to go, and then plan based of your TAS. The Caravan cruises around 140kts TAS, so if you only have an hour pick a route that’s 140NM. If you have 2 hours, go for 280NM etc… You will get to go to random little airports you never knew existed, and you won’t get burnt out trying to do 2 or 3 hours every flight.

For more serious trip planning I use a combo of Skyvector and Little Navmap Alex Projects - Little Navmap If you follow all the setup steps for Little Navmap you will get a fully functional live map system that you can do full flight planning with. It will give you real world airport info, live weather, waypoints, fuel planning, IFR procedures etc… for free. I use it as a substitute to the full Navigraph charts subscription and so I only subscribe to the Navigraph navdata subscription to make sure it is up to date (as I fly on Vatsim).

Vatsim makes it fun and more social, but on some of the big ocean crossings I went offline so I could watch a movie or something in the background.

Lastly, definitely utilize any free scenery you can get. I use flightsim.to, and specifically the scenery map Microsoft Flight Simulator | Scenery Map » Flightsim.to Check your flight route and see what you can download. Whether it’s airports, terrain data, cities, etc… it makes MSFS come alive even more than default, and some of the really small default airports you may fly into are only concrete strips when they are supposed to have some taxi ways and buildings.

Most importantly have fun and share your map/adventures! Ill be posting an update on mine soon! Below is my current map :slight_smile:

If you have any questions, or need any help with installing anything above let me know!

• Monty

@OldMonty3 @EddieSimes Did you ever complete your trips?